GAME #114 - SUNDAY, AUGUST 8, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Started by markj, August 08, 2021, 09:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Sea Dog 23

That's two failures for Barnes Sat. (game 1) and Sunday.  8 runs deserves a win.  Sawamura also did not do his job. 

Murph

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on August 08, 2021, 04:04:34 PM
You can not bring Barnes in with men on base.  Moreover Dinardo called it. Barnes can not throw the same pitch to that batter.

Apparently that filthy rotten Cheater doesn't understand that some pitchers cannot come in with inherited runners, and he should know better since he was a teammate of Mike Timlin who pitched very well when starting a inning and had a lot of trouble when coming in mid-inning.  Of course, many want to remember with nostalgia  that Francona was our manager then and still have a high regard for him, but the fact was that Terry was stubborn like the Cheater and never paid mind to Timlin' meltdowns when going into a game with inherited runners on the bases. Barnes has the same problems it looks like but the Cheater still thinks he the smartest man in the room.  What next, Marwin and French Fry in the lineup Tuesday to continue our meltdown instead o keeping Plawecki in there for his bat and keeping those two shits as far away from the plate as can be managed.  Let's face it though.  qWE SUCK!!!!!!@

Bill-806

WHAT A MESS !!!!!!   Like all the other overrated crap that we have to put up with on a daily basis !!!!  Just PATHETIC !!!!!!  With all the MANAGERS on this board, we should/could figure this out !!!  CHANGES , NOW GRASSHOPPER !!!!! thumb_d thumb_d :losers :losers iono iono sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh

longgame

I fell asleep during the pitching change to Barnes. I thought it was sealed up and woke up during the postgame show and a nasty surprise.  Just too many points of failure on this team and none have been addressed.

Sea Dog 23

This mess started in the preseason.  They were determined not to go over the lux tax limit.  At that time they waited out a bunch of quality FA  pitchers and settled on Richards at a “bargain” and gave the bullpen to Barnes and Otto. 

They panicked and gave away Beni for career minor leaguers, then BS’ed the fans with, we’re all in for the playoffs’.  FO used doubletalk after the trade deadline as excuses for mistakes made.  If they had been more forthright upfront, there would be less vitriol in th fan base for what is about to happen next 50 games.

BoSoxFanNY

Heartsick over this loss.
They came out and offensively finally scored runs.
Garrett Richards pitched well enough AND the bullpen
BLOWS the game.
WHAT has happened to this team?

Since the All Star Break - they have been hard to watch.

Heartsick . . .

Sea Dog 23

Troubling developments for fans last two series.  Then I read they are holding back the competitive Sale until the O’s series.  I think he will not pitch against TB/NYY/Tor during whole month of August.  And seems like a setback for Schwarber, complaining of “groin tightness”.  WTF? 
The baseball gods are not smiling on my Sox this month.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 09, 2021, 11:26:59 AM
Troubling developments for fans last two series.  Then I read they are holding back the competitive Sale until the O’s series.  I think he will not pitch against TB/NYY/Tor during whole month of August.  And seems like a setback for Schwarber, complaining of “groin tightness”.  WTF? 

When you have a rotten cheater leading the team the baseball gods or any other gods will not smile at you Sea Dog.  The leadership of the club tried to sell us s bill of goods before the season and some of us never bought it since we know they were a bunch of bullshit artists.  Now we all have to pay for it.  Off for five days to the beach.  I will not be checking to see how  the Cheater's team is going.  And I insist, CORA HAS TO GO!!!!

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 09, 2021, 11:26:59 AM

I'm assuming they're tying him to a slot - i.e. Richards' spot in the rotation.  Right now it's lining up as E-Rod, Eovaldi, Pivetta, Houck and Sale as far as I know.  He pitched yesterday so he's not available this week versus TB.  I think he misses NYY series but it's only 2 games and he'll pitch in TV when they play 4 in September and then likely again the following week.  They're done with Toronto.

I'm worried about a 1B with a bad hammy and groin tightness. 

elktonnick

After watching the Toronto series, I see a team that is playing fundamentally stupid baseball.  IMO they definitely lost two of those and possibly a third by plain stupidity.
Barnes lost two by himself by sheer stubborn stupidity.  To his credit Lenny Dinardo called both before they happened.  He said Barnes had to be careful with his first pitch to Toronto batters, he wasn't, home run.  Then the next day, Dinardo says don't throw the same pitch in the same place, he did!  Home run.

It wasn't just Barnes, Nate Eovoldi went to the well once too often in his outing.  Repeatedly throwing the same pitch to batters.  Moreover someone needs to drill into our pitchers heads you do not throw the cutter for a strike.  (If I had my way you would not throw a cutter ever)
Then we come to base running.  Would someone tell Vazquez that he isn't Ricky Henderson. 
There is more on what stupidity I saw during the Toronto series but I think I made my point.
Cora has largely gotten a pass because of the unexpected early success this team has had but that is gone. He has to get his act together and manage intelligently and to get his team to play the same way

longgame

Definitely poor fundamentals in a lot of aspects.  The fact is they lost 2 games and one game by a run.  They gave up those runs on the bases.  They gave up runs from the mound.  But they really gave up runs with popups in key at bats, or swinging at really bad pitches.

But let's face it, they're also playing at least a man down and have to fill those holes with guys like Cordero and Arauz not to mention Duran and Dalbec - two guys who everyone loves but can't hit.  And because our starters can't get past 5 innings on a good day, we have no bullpen left.

If only there had been some way to address these weaknesses, say by making a trade for a first baseman and maybe relievers who know how to get outs, but alas, apparently there was no such way to so that or our ownership and team management would have done so, right?

I'm just so freaking mad about this team! 

elktonnick

The facts are they did not lose three out of four to Toronto because Bloom did or did not make a deal at the trade deadline.  They lost because Barnes pitched stupidly, Vazquez ran the bases stupidly, Nate Eovoldi pitched stupidly and the rest of the regulars generally played braindead baseball. (I haven't specifically mentioned that virtually every other batter is swinging for the fences instead of going with the pitch.) 

The trade deadline is a red herring because for the past month since the series in Oakland, well before the trade deadline, this team has played has played fundamentally unsound baseball in virtually every phase of the game and Cora has managed like he has been sleep walking.

Sea Dog 23

Looking ahead, an observer on the last few weeks regarding the pitching … of course Perez and Richards have bee minimalized, their outings for 5 innings or less is putting a hammer on the bullpen.  Eovaldi is about to hit a wall. He has now pitched more innings than each of the last two years.  Barnes is exceeding now the number innings he pitched last year.  JT Taylor is getting worn down already.  The guys who seem fresh(er) are Valdez, Darwinzon.  The additions to trade for Robles and Davis were ill-advised as it turned out.  Not good.

The arrival of Sale and Houck are a boost. But are they able to go more than 5 innings?  Whitlock may get a spot start.  Seabold may get a Sept call up.