5. Gleyber Torres (R) SS
6. Greg Allen (S) RF
7. Chris Gittens (R) 1B
8. Estevan Florial (L) CF
9. Rob Brantly (L) C

Gametime Temp: 76°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

Sea Dog 23

Recall Taillon had one of his best outings against us in NY last weekend.  Maybe the endless chants of Yankees sauckss will do him in.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 24, 2021, 10:34:18 AM
Recall Taillon had one of his best outings against us in NY last weekend.  Maybe the endless chants of Yankees sauckss will do him in.

Whatever it takes, just win baby.  Nathan has pitched well against the Yankees since he's been with us and I would suppose if he pitches well and we give him good support we have a decent chance to make it three in a row over our biggest rivals.  And why not?  They pummeled us last year winning all but the final game against us so why not return the favor.

MongoLikeSox

Franchy in RF on a bright sunny day? It's tough enough for anyone. Ouch!

There, I did it. Got some crow baking as we speak. Don't let me down now!

markj

Schloicka

2 out runs for the Yanks in the 8th. Couple bloopers to right really hurt. 4-3 Yanks.

markj

Great job, Ottavino. Nice work.

Stellar outing by Eovaldi wasted. Frustrating.

markj

Sea Dog 23

Only positives I can see out of this game, Nate's great showing, and Yanks get false fuzzy feelings with a win and wasting more great prospects on 2-month rentals at the trade deadline..

MongoLikeSox

I can't even be mad. Two doinkers down into that corner is what it takes to kill us? That's baseball. Ain't nuttin' you can do.

I would have been PO'd if we ended the game with Kike's bat on his shoulder. It wasn't, so I wasn't.

14-1/2 hours until 1st pitch.

Schloicka

I may be wrong but when it is time to be the ACE Eovaldi doesn't do the job. Last time in NY he had a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 5th with 2 outs and couldn't get that 3rd out even after he got 2 strikes on 2 hitters in a row. Ended up giving up the tieing run. I truly believe if he had held that 1-0 lead after 5 the umps would of called for the tarp then. Yesterday he had 2 outs again and couldn't close it out. He knew he was done after the inning so he needed to get that 3rd out. Myself I would of left him in to sink or swim. Be the damn Ace.

markj

I do agree that Cora should have left him in to get that 3rd out. It wasn't like he was walking batters.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on July 25, 2021, 09:47:02 AM
I may be wrong but when it is time to be the ACE Eovaldi doesn't do the job. Last time in NY he had a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 5th with 2 outs and couldn't get that 3rd out even after he got 2 strikes on 2 hitters in a row. Ended up giving up the tieing run. I truly believe if he had held that 1-0 lead after 5 the umps would of called for the tarp then. Yesterday he had 2 outs again and couldn't close it out. He knew he was done after the inning so he needed to get that 3rd out. Myself I would of left him in to sink or swim. Be the damn Ace.

George, you are right on that one.  If you're an ace, be an ace and that way you just might become one.  My best friend Terry and I were on the phone for over an hour  lamenting Cora's decision to take him out.  Keep him in there to tget the last out.  Besides, some relievers do NOT like oming into games with inherited runners.....remember Mike Timlin.  He was very good starting an inning but he had hordes of miserable experiences when coming into the middle of an inning with runners on base.   Then again, I wonder what Yankee fans were saying this afternoon after their pitcher German was taken out with a four run lead because he gave up two hits in the inning.  One man's pizza is another man's hemlock.  And our comeback was even better than  theirs yesterday.

MongoLikeSox

I posted my thoughts on the to pull him or not to pull him in the other thread. I wanted to chime in with a thought in the thought posed by Schloika. I agree. I, too, don't think Eovaldi is a true Ace. He has done some ace-like games this year including at least one "stopper".

He's close, though. He has the capability to do so. It's there waiting. He's even shown it at times, but not consistently. If he gets over that hump, he's there in the Ace category. Minimizing that implosion inning habit is I mean. Jon Lester had that same hump at one point. He may still have it for all I know.

longgame

Well said. He just doesn't have that fear factor and that only comes with consistency.  Still very good, but having Sale back will help a lot.  Interesting that it was E-Rod's year to show he could be an ace but he clearly doesn't have the mental toughness makeup.