GAME #96 - WEDNESDAY, JULY 21, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Started by markj, July 21, 2021, 08:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

I thought Richards did well. It sure did go south in a hurry, though. Wow!

It's obvious that someone is going to have to go out to the pen in a couple-three weeks. Assuming a Sale comeback soon, the definite rotation guys are Sale, Eovaldi and ERod. That leaves Houck, Pivetta, Perez and Richards. I would not be the least bit surprised to see 1 or 2 of them traded to a team in desperation mode. (eg - Mets?) Perhaps in exchange for good bullpen arms. Perez is affordable next year, too. Added little chip. That said, he's been somewhat decent, albeit with a large degree of managerial protection in the form of early exits. Of the bunch, I think he's one of the better bullpen candidates.

Franchy might be batting .329, but it's been dropping like bloomers on prom night for a few weeks. He's hitting .224. Munoz, who is NOT on the 40-man roster, is the opposite. He impressed briefly last year. He's 26 and does have a bit of MLB experience with the Cardinals. Lifetime .278 in around big league 500ABs. Defense? Can't be as bad as some we've had? Maybe?

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on July 22, 2021, 08:46:44 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 22, 2021, 08:10:35 AM
Quote from: longgame on July 22, 2021, 08:02:23 AM
Rumors flying everywhere.  Three minor leaguers were pulled mid game last night and the rumors are they're being packaged for Rizzo.....
Do you mean this in context of the Red Sox?

Yes.  Here's the rumor

QuoteThe Boston Red Sox have traded for Cubs First Baseman Anthony Rizzo. Details are still being announced and nothing is official. Red Sox Prospects Marcus Wilson, Pedro Castellanos, and Cam Cannon are all expected to be in the trade.
Veddy interesting! Thanks for sharing. :)

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 22, 2021, 08:50:15 AM
I thought Richards did well. It sure did go south in a hurry, though. Wow!

It's obvious that someone is going to have to go out to the pen in a couple-three weeks. Assuming a Sale comeback soon, the definite rotation guys are Sale, Eovaldi and ERod. That leaves Houck, Pivetta, Perez and Richards. I would not be the least bit surprised to see 1 or 2 of them traded to a team in desperation mode. (eg - Mets?) Perhaps in exchange for good bullpen arms. Perez is affordable next year, too. Added little chip. That said, he's been somewhat decent, albeit with a large degree of managerial protection in the form of early exits. Of the bunch, I think he's one of the better bullpen candidates.

Franchy might be batting .329, but it's been dropping like bloomers on prom night for a few weeks. He's hitting .224. Munoz, who is NOT on the 40-man roster, is the opposite. He impressed briefly last year. He's 26 and does have a bit of MLB experience with the Cardinals. Lifetime .278 in around big league 500ABs. Defense? Can't be as bad as some we've had? Maybe?

I figure the next few weeks will be great for sorting out guys like Houck to see where they go and for that matter what Perez and Richards can bring on a consistent basis (the biggest problem with both of those guys, they just seem to lose it all at once, but sometimes get it back).  I've said before, I'm quite happy with Perez as a #5 starter - makes all his starts,usually gives us about 5 good innings.  Pivetta is another one who struggles with consistency but I am hopeful they can get him on track.

Clearly there have to be some moves, including the 1B move above.  The last thing the Sox need is a poor outfielder who can't hit.  The big question is whether Duran is an every day player or not and if not how do you work that?  Can't keep moving Kike back and forth, he needs to play one position. 

Sea Dog 23

With the deadline within about a week, the Sox are showing some big holes right before the Yanks and Rays ready to do their thing.  In just a few days Sox have lost Arroyo, Marwin, Santana and Bogey is probably playing hurt.  Verdugo is slumping. Bloom needs a 1B/INF/OF types like yesterday.  Dalbec, Chavis, and a green Duran are pretty shaky.  The bullpen is exposed.  Whitlock, Otto, Barnes pitched last night leaving Darwinzon and Sawamura in the spotlight for setup guys.

But for a trade, the better value will be near the end of deadline, overpay a week before.  It is what it is.

SeaBeachFred

First the win last night.  Richards was very good until the sixth inning and that's a remarkable stint for him.  Then he got hammered but got the win.  That had to help his confidence somewhat.  We also won two games in a row for the first time in almost two weeks and that was better.  There are a lot of teams this season going hot and cold but my focus is on our team.  Except for the Cubs who I follow in the NL and the  Giants who I want very badly to beat the Dodgers for the division crown in the NL West, I don't care a hoot how they do unless it affects the Red Sox.  We are still 20 games over 500 and I think we must keep that margin and then some over the next few weeks to hold off the Rays and keep the Yanks at bay.  That means when we face both teams we have to beat them, pure and simple and it starts tonight.