GAME #87 - TUESDAY, JULY 6, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ LOS ANGELES ANGELS

Started by markj, July 06, 2021, 12:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

I was about to pose the question in this series ... "what are the Angels trying to do, pay all that money for one Mega Star (who's now on the IL)?" Tuesday is their answer with baseball's hottest pitcher/ bomber.  But one game and how can they justify to their real fanbase being a .500 club or worse every year with that kinda payroll?  Such is pro sports these days.

longgame

Cora definitely left Eovaldi in there too long.  Not sure what the thinking was because he was clearly losing it.  I imagine he wanted to give the bullpen some rest as they've been at it hard the past week or two. 

Ohtani is freaking amazing.  31 HRs and he doesn't just pitch, he's very good!  It's interesting that he's able to both hit and pitch so well and it makes you wonder about guys like DeGrom who could likely do the same.  Is it worth it to let Degrom flirt with an ERA as high as 2.00 if he can hit every day?  Of course it's different in the NL without the DH that makes the non-pitching days easier to manage.  I guess the thinking on the part of the team is we'll keep two of the best players in baseball in a nice little cage and people can come watch them during the regular season.

On the DH, basically the pitcher becomes the DH so a new pitcher comes up in that spot or has to be pinch hit.  I can imagine the only issue is that he's slotted low in the lineup (I think he was #2).

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 07, 2021, 07:11:33 AM
I was about to pose the question in this series ... "what are the Angels trying to do, pay all that money for one Mega Star (who's now on the IL)?" Tuesday is their answer with baseball's hottest pitcher/ bomber.  But one game and how can they justify to their real fanbase being a .500 club or worse every year with that kinda payroll?  Such is pro sports these days.

God point Sea Dog but that is the Angels problem, not ours.  All we have to do is keep playing well and do everything in our power to win the rubber game this afternoon.