5. Hunter Dozier (R) 3B
6. Ryan O'Hearn (L) DH
7. Edward Olivares (R) LF
8. Michael A. Taylor (R) CF
9. Hanser Alberto (R) SS

Gametime Temp: 81°F
Chance of Precip: 27%

Sea Dog 23

Jon Lester is having to work hard today for Washington.  With Rays up 4-2 in the 3rd, Nats get 4 runs to go on top.  It’s now 7-5 in the 4th.

markj

We're gonna see a rain delay before this one is over, I think. Severe T-Storm warning for Boston.

Schloicka

markj

Rays got pummeled today. They're really having a hard time lately.

MongoLikeSox

Kike's catch at the end of the Bullpen was some catch, that's for sure. He can come up with some good ones.
I didn't make it to the end of the rain delay. I actually fell asleep when looking online to see if the game had resumed.  ::) 

I was just looking at the Bullpen stats at this, the halfway point. One thing for sure, they have picked themselves and each other up throughout the past couple of months. Here are some YTD stats. Three of them look like they've been stepping in dog poo, but coming up roses. Think this can continue? Overall, yeah, it's been hairy. Strange 1/2 season.

Matt Barnes       34g   3-2L   2.65 -ERA   - 0.82 WHIP
Adam Ottavino       36g   2-2L   2.73 -ERA   - 1.30 WHIP
Hirokazu Sawamura     30g   4-0L   2.56 -ERA   - 1.32 WHIP   
Josh Taylor        32g   0-0L   3.04 -ERA   - 1.42 WHIP
Darwinzon Hernandez  31g   2-2L   2.84 -ERA   - 1.65 WHIP
Garrett Whitlock     22g   3-1L   1.42 -ERA   - 1.15 WHIP
Matt Andriese       23g   2-2L   5.56 -ERA   - 1.67 WHIP
Phillips Valdez            20g   2-0L   4.24 -ERA   - 1.37 WHIP
Brandon Workman    9g   0-0L   2.00 -ERA   - 1.55 WHIP
Yacksel Rios        6g   2-0L   2.70 -ERA   - 1.50 WHIP

The other one of significance is the starting rotation. You know, I don't even want to say it out loud. Their starters have each made either 15 or 16 starts. That's tough to do. As bad as their high-ERA stretches have been, we have been in most games so far. Some of the games against Toronto and Houston stick out. There have been some gems in there, too. Hopefully the gems become more commonplace.

markj

Well, they did it. 50 wins at the halfway point. I hope this keeps up.

longgame

Not only did they hang on for the win, but the Angels came back after getting pummeled early and beat the Yankees.

3 games up on the Rays, 8 1/2 ahead of the 4th place Yankees and 50 wins at the halfway point.  These winning streaks are crucial to winning a division.  Let's hope they keep this one going!

Sea Dog 23

Sweet karma.  Sox are raking,  Chapman blowing it in NY.  I read that LA’s Bauer is accused of strangling someone.  What is going on these days?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on July 01, 2021, 08:07:32 AM
Not only did they hang on for the win, but the Angels came back after getting pummeled early and beat the Yankees.

3 games up on the Rays, 8 1/2 ahead of the 4th place Yankees and 50 wins at the halfway point.  These winning streaks are crucial to winning a division.  Let's hope they keep this one going!

This is what I have said repeatedly since the beginning of the season when we ran off a nine game winning streak.  The key to our success is that we must be able to go on 5-7 game winning streaks and do it a number of times to get control of our chances in the division race.  Last night was our sixth win in a row and guess what???  We have moved from a half-game behind to  three games up in the AL East.  Despite the trouble the Yankees have been having we still must consider their team strong enough to get hot this summer, the Rays recovering and playing solid ball again and the Blue Jays with their power being able  to do the same.  Our division is tough and those winning streaks are karma for our team.  Somehow we must get a few more of them along the way,like maybe a half-dozen of them the next three months.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on June 30, 2021, 08:11:35 PM
Great catch by Kiki to end the 5th inning.

That was a Jackie Bradley type catch by Kiki, an outstanding effort where he looked like a seasoned center fielder.  Now if he can keep getting hotter at the plate it would help our team even more.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 01, 2021, 11:00:23 AM

That was a Jackie Bradley type catch by Kiki, an outstanding effort where he looked like a seasoned center fielder.  Now if he can keep getting hotter at the plate it would help our team even more.

Jackie would have made it look easy.  But he still can't hit!

The Yankees are imploding.  Steiny Jr. just said the players are the problem (Not the guys who assembled them or try to get them to be productive).

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on July 01, 2021, 11:02:32 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 01, 2021, 11:00:23 AM

Jackie would have made it look easy.  But he still can't hit!

The Yankees are imploding.  Steiny Jr. just said the players are the problem (Not the guys who assembled them or try to get them to be productive).

Well JBJ's hitting woes are no longer our problem Ted, but I still am not writing the Yankees, nor the Rays off.  We still have half the season to go and who knows what might happen.  All I can say is I like where we are better than where they are.  Just hope we can keep it up.