5. Austin Riley (R) 3B
6. Dansby Swanson (R) SS
7. Pablo Sandoval (S) DH
8. Guillermo Heredia (R) CF
9. William Contreras (R) C

Gametime Temp: 66°F
Chance of Precip: 1%

Sea Dog 23

If Panda Bear (Sandoval) gets in the game in some form, he brings a .926 OPS!

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 25, 2021, 01:09:51 PM
If Panda Bear (Sandoval) gets in the game in some form, he brings a .926 OPS!
DH'ing - revenge of the Panda.

That Braves lineup looks like it should be better than they are ATM. Nice to see Morton pitching again this year.

SeaBeachFred

At least this is a presentable lineup without Marwin or Franchy in there with their sub 200 batting averages and little positive production.  This could give us a chance to win an opening game of a homestand for a change if they bring enough energy and a total absence of sluggishness which has become a hallmark of Alex Cora's teams since the start of 2019.  We never seem ready to open up a homestand, but it would be good if we could finally divest ourselves of this miserable demonstration of home field ineptness starting tonight and carrying it on over for at least six or so weeks.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 25, 2021, 03:55:44 PM
At least this is a presentable lineup without Marwin or Franchy in there with their sub 200 batting averages and little positive production.  This could give us a chance to win an opening game of a homestand for a change if they bring enough energy and a total absence of sluggishness which has become a hallmark of Alex Cora's teams since the start of 2019.  We never seem ready to open up a homestand, but it would be good if we could finally divest ourselves of this miserable demonstration of home field ineptness starting tonight and carrying it on over for at least six or so weeks.

I like this lineup too.  Santana has had a nice start and it keeps Franchy out of the lineup.  This is a regular lineup that they could stick with and use Gonzalez as the sub while looking for a true bat off the bench. 

Sure would be nice to see some energy and not be hearing talk all night about how nice it is for Morton to be throwing so well after a year off.

BoSoxFanNY

Sox are losing 2 -1.
HAD so many opportunities in the first and second inning
to blow this game open - and both innings ended with GIDP.
CRAP!

Danny Santana starts off the second inning with a triple
AND they can't bring him home to score.
UGHHHHHHHH

MongoLikeSox

BoSoxFanNY

CRAP
Sox lose 3 - 1.

The best chance to score was in the first and second inning.

At least the Rays and Yankees lost tonight . . .

SeaBeachFred

longgame had this game pegged all along and he tole us Sunday to beware of our team coming out sluggish after key players had two days off instead of the normal one.  The not only looked sluggish but played like a bunch of slugs stinking up Fenway in another miserable home park performance that has become a poster boy for Cora's ineptness in handling the team.  Believe me, he will do this again and he won't hesitate to say two days rest is better than one, forgetting the sluggishness that has characterized the Red Sox since opening day, 2019. They can't win at home, can't drive in runs when opportunities present themselves in the first couple of innings, can't get a man home from third with no one out.  Watch Cora say he did what was best for the team when in fact he did just the opposite.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on May 25, 2021, 08:55:05 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz   

It could also be

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Last three games the Sox have strikeouts totaling 13-12-12.  Probably systemic.  They have a rep in the league of swinging at anything.  When the ducks are on the pond, they ain’t gonna get a good hit to pitch.  14 LOB this game.

MongoLikeSox

Other teams have shown a willingness to beat us with the shift, too. It's like there's an idiot button. Whenever an opposing team needs a base-runner, wants to move the runners around or drive in someone, poof! We press the idiot button again and spread apart like the red sea. It's starting to become a tradition.

Our manager and his little plan of substituting Marwin for Dalbec was disgusting. Massive slump. At least BD hit the ball hard at least once earlier. I wish he'd quit screwing with the kids and stop over-managing.

And this Manager's pet thing has GOT TO GO. Marwin is a good defender most of the time, but he is a selfish disaster at the plate. Imagine having to sit through the meeting as young Michael Chavis is being sent down and talked to about his offense when the guy doing the talking keeps his pet around despite being worse than Chavis? I hope he's rewarded with a scenery change. Cora does not deserve him.

It takes a lot for me to get truly disgusted, but I was last night.

longgame

I thought I was going to be proven wrong with the way they started but then the meat of our lineup did nothing.  Maybe the two days off - something most ballplayers aren't accustomed to - left the big run producers sluggish.  Just seems that there are a couple of patterns that are consistent - losing at home, giving up the end of a series and being flat at the beginning of one.  They may have been able to pull that off in 2018 with a team that was capable of pulling off big runs but this is not that team and they have some better competition. 

Also would like to see some patience at the plate.  Too much free swinging allowing starters to get too deep and a real lack of situational hitting.  Bases loaded and none out and you can only score on a walk. 

Poor defense too last night.  First of all, someone has to be the regular LF and learn how to play that position at Fenway.  I don't care who they put there as long as it isn't Franchy, but if they think Renfroe is a RF then Verdugo should play LF every game.  Unfortunately I think he's a better OF in general and a better player all around than Renfroe so not sure why Renfroe plays the classically more difficult position. 

SeaBeachFred

I'm still trying to recover from last night's debacle.  And Mongo is totally right about Marwin.  Cora loves the guy but he can no longer hit worth shit and is one guy who should be DFA's along with the French Fry.  But who would take either one?  They would pass waivers and be back in the organization likity split.

rkarp

Quote from: longgame on May 26, 2021, 08:24:36 AM
I thought I was going to be proven wrong with the way they started but then the meat of our lineup did nothing.  Maybe the two days off - something most ballplayers aren't accustomed to - left the big run producers sluggish.  Just seems that there are a couple of patterns that are consistent - losing at home, giving up the end of a series and being flat at the beginning of one.  They may have been able to pull that off in 2018 with a team that was capable of pulling off big runs but this is not that team and they have some better competition. 

Also would like to see some patience at the plate.  Too much free swinging allowing starters to get too deep and a real lack of situational hitting.  Bases loaded and none out and you can only score on a walk. 

Poor defense too last night.  First of all, someone has to be the regular LF and learn how to play that position at Fenway.  I don't care who they put there as long as it isn't Franchy, but if they think Renfroe is a RF then Verdugo should play LF every game.  Unfortunately I think he's a better OF in general and a better player all around than Renfroe so not sure why Renfroe plays the classically more difficult position.

I prefer Renfroe in RF for his arm, and he has played the position really well this season. he could also be a 20+ HR player.
I would like to see Verdugo in LF every day, and let him play there for the next few years. stop moving him around.
KiKe is the best option in CF. the team will go as far as their pitching takes them, and the pitchers need help from the defense. Verdugo/KiKe/Renfroe. Seems Durran could be ready soon and then plug him in CF with KiKe back at 2B.
prob makes Marwin or Arroyo duplicative.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: rkarp on May 26, 2021, 10:24:35 AM
Quote from: longgame on May 26, 2021, 08:24:36 AM

I prefer Renfroe in RF for his arm, and he has played the position really well this season. he could also be a 20+ HR player.
I would like to see Verdugo in LF every day, and let him play there for the next few years. stop moving him around.
KiKe is the best option in CF. the team will go as far as their pitching takes them, and the pitchers need help from the defense. Verdugo/KiKe/Renfroe. Seems Durran could be ready soon and then plug him in CF with KiKe back at 2B.
prob makes Marwin or Arroyo duplicative.

Finally agree with you on something.  However, while Arroyo is duplicative, Marwin is excess and should be sent packing before he challenges Frenchy and former stiff Bradley for the lowest BA in baseball.  Notice Bradley  is now riding the pine in Milwaukee?   That's what a  roaring 161 average will do for you in late Ma y.