5. Adolis Garcia (R) CF
6. David Dahl (L) LF
7. Isiah Kiner-Falefa (R) SS
8. Brock Holt (L) 3B
9. Jonah Heim (S) C

Gametime Temp: 75°F
Chance of Precip: 2%

longgame

I really don't like Cordero and Renfroe in at the same time because you're lucky to get a hit from the two of them and the fielding is average at best. 

Sea Dog 23

Sox are squeezing out runs today.  One in the 2st on a FC I think.  Xander a solo shot in the 4th.  But 0-3 RISP.  2-0.

Sea Dog 23

All good things come to an end.  Kike' singles in a run in the 7th.
Whitlock gives up his first run of the season.  Now 3-2.  Looks like Otto and Barnes will get the call.

Holy crap.  The bullpen fails again.  I think many expected we needed one or two more quality arms on the off-season.  Otto has had a couple good years. Does he have much left in that arm?  Tough for Richards, he had another good start.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 02, 2021, 04:03:48 PM
All good things come to an end.  Kike' singles in a run in the 7th.
Whitlock gives up his first run of the season.  Now 3-2.  Looks like Otto and Barnes will get the call.

Holy crap.  The bullpen fails again.  I think many expected we needed one or two more quality arms on the off-season.  Otto has had a couple good years. Does he have much left in that arm?  Tough for Richards, he had another good start.

I'll give the Yankees credit---they know when to cut loose of excess garbage and that is proof the way they sent OTtovino packing.  He has been a near total shit for us and has become the Barnes of the last few seasons.  He seems to have trouble getting the first man he faces and his control is shit.  Losing three of four to the lowly Rangers means we are now most likely down the elevator.  And why is French Fry Francy still in the lineup.  He sucks to high heaven.  We need a LF don't we.  Well there is one in KC who has come on fire the last few games---AND I WARNED PEOPLE HERE AND ON  THE FREE FORUMS BOARD WE WOULD REGRET GETTING RID OF BENNI.  NOW WHO WOULD YOU TAKE, BENINTENDI OR THAT PIECE OF ROTTEN GARBAGE WE HAVE OUT THERE NOW?

markj

MongoLikeSox

That was ugly stuff.

I know he's too much of an upstanding citizen to say too much, but Brock Holt's gotta be having a large time this weekend. Oh, and that Mustache - is it just me, or has he got the Val Kilmer playing Doc Holiday "I'll be your Huckleberry" thing going?

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: markj on May 02, 2021, 05:29:01 PM
They're now 17-12. Slowly sinking to the .500 range.

Yes they're right on Que.  3-3 road trip.  It Is time to mske some hay with some winnable series with Detroit and Bal'mer coming up.

longgame

Losing 3 of 4 to a pretty bad team is a bad sign.  The good news is that the starting pitching has remained pretty good, even on nights when guys don't have their best stuff.  The bad news is that just as we expected, the bullpen is suspect.  Ottavino has been pretty bad and that's hurt us as they had hoped to rely on him in key situations.

The real issue is that this team just doesn't hit and score runs in bunches.  Every rally gets hung up in the bottom of the order which delivers nothing day after day.

I still think they need to settle down the musical chairs.  Renfroe and Cordero aren't cutting it and they can play a full OF without them.  Cordero is especially bad and can't play LF at Fenway.  Gonzalez hasn't been hitting and that makes another hole since he's supposed to spell other guys and does on a regular basis, but I expect him to come around as a seasoned pro.  At the other end of the spectrum is Dalbec who doesn't hit but has no experience at all so we need to get him more comfortable.

Do the Sox need a trade to add some depth in the OF and dump those guys they have?  Can Chavis play 1B adequately and hit better than Dalbec?  Also, can the Sox actually win games at home?

Sea Dog 23

Ted, the news circulating today seems to optioning one of the 14 pitchers for another bench player.  The most likely is Chavis.  Could be Santana, but hes about two weeks out on rehab.  Also possibles Montoya (sp) or Puelo.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 03, 2021, 12:24:22 PM
Ted, the news circulating today seems to optioning one of the 14 pitchers for another bench player.  The most likely is Chavis.  Could be Santana, but hes about two weeks out on rehab.  Also possibles Montoya (sp) or Puelo.
Last I've seen on Santana was Cora being adamant about it being multiple weeks before that could happen. I think he's being sent to Greenville as of a couple days ago.

This is a strange Roster. I know this is a bridge year, but this is still a strange roster in strange baseball times. I hope the brass doesn't drink too much of that koolaide that's been going around.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on May 03, 2021, 08:20:29 AM
Losing 3 of 4 to a pretty bad team is a bad sign.  The good news is that the starting pitching has remained pretty good, even on nights when guys don't have their best stuff.  The bad news is that just as we expected, the bullpen is suspect.  Ottavino has been pretty bad and that's hurt us as they had hoped to rely on him in key situations.

The real issue is that this team just doesn't hit and score runs in bunches.  Every rally gets hung up in the bottom of the order which delivers nothing day after day.

I still think they need to settle down the musical chairs.  Renfroe and Cordero aren't cutting it and they can play a full OF without them.  Cordero is especially bad and can't play LF at Fenway.  Gonzalez hasn't been hitting and that makes another hole since he's supposed to spell other guys and does on a regular basis, but I expect him to come around as a seasoned pro.  At the other end of the spectrum is Dalbec who doesn't hit but has no experience at all so we need to get him more comfortable.

Do the Sox need a trade to add some depth in the OF and dump those guys they have?  Can Chavis play 1B adequately and hit better than Dalbec?  Also, can the Sox actually win games at home?

Bring Chavis up.  He was sacrificed so they could give their latest pet, Frenchy, a full shot at a spot he most certainly doesn't belong in. At least Dalbec hit eight homers last season in a very campaign so he could get hot.  Cordero has failed with two teams already so he most likely will never get hot, but I am disappointed in Renfroe.  He should be hit ting better than he has.  Maybe he and Gonzales will catch fire soon because we need to score more runs to make up for the crap pile we have in the bullpen in Andreisee, Ottavino and Taylor, not to mention a couple of o thers whose very thought on my part about them leaves me pulling what hair I have left on my head.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on May 02, 2021, 06:12:22 PM
That was ugly stuff.

I know he's too much of an upstanding citizen to say too much, but Brock Holt's gotta be having a large time this weekend. Oh, and that Mustache - is it just me, or has he got the Val Kilmer playing Doc Holiday "I'll be your Huckleberry" thing going?

There's another sore point with me Mongo.  We didn't sign Brock Holt after 2019 and let him walk while we picked up a turd like Peraza who was so shitty the team released him before  the season ended.  Holt proved he was a winner with us, the kind of guy you can depend on to give his very best and get the very most out of what he has.  Now this season we are told Andrew Benintendi is no longer a good player and we let him go for a piece of crap like Drenchy Frenchy who can't hit, can't field and is already a two time loser don the ML level.  Who the hell is making decisions like this?  Can't  they tell talent from non-talent, can't they tell winners from losers?  And can't they  tell w hat players they can depend on and those they can't?  I mean would anyone out there trade a Holt and Benintendi for a Peraza and a Cordero?  Only a total baseball butt would do that and that may be what we have in our front office.

elktonnick

Couldn't agree more.  The decision to part ways with Holt was a terrible one.  Character counts.  I am not saying that the other guys aren't of good character but Brock Holt is one of exceptional good character.  The fact that he is no longer with Boston yet is still doing work to support the Jimmy Fund says it all.

Sea Dog 23

Fred, there is reason to believe Bloom dropped  Beni for the value he got in the three minor leaguers hes getting in the deal from KC and the Mets.  Frenchy it has been said is a throwaway based on his cheap $800k contract.

I didn't like the Beni deal either, Im still wearing his jersey!!  Bloom IMO is in a bridge year, just rebuilding the.farm and a few key starters.  I think his bigger decisions are whether to resign Devers and ERod this year, and bracing for a Bogey opt out.