5. Gleyber Torres (R) SS
6. Mike Tauchman (L) LF
7. Gary Sanchez (R) C
8. Clint Frazier (R) RF
9. Brett Gardner (L) CF

Gametime Temp: 77°F
Chance of Precip: 2%

Sea Dog 23

Good to see Peraza back after only missing one game.  A history of getting hit on the leg for Sox 2B guys, although he happened to be pitching.

Schloicka

Sea Dog 23

While the Sox insist on being dreadful, like Fred, I watched my backup team the Cardinals beat the Pale Hose Saturday.  They hadn't played in about two weeks in quarantine.

But an anomaly, for Cards' players and staff's health, they each drove their cars to Chicago --- 41 cars.  I noticed for the player's health, Boras is arranging private jets to transfer his traded players at the trade deadline to transition health protocols!  Really nice guy.   sigh

Murph

longgame

Quote from: Murph on August 16, 2020, 08:08:33 AM
The REAL Eovaldi was on display yesterday.

Since signing his contract at the end of 2018, Eovaldi is 3-3 with a 5.97 ERA.  And he's our best pitcher too.

I heard an oft-repeated tale of woe last night on the broadcast, about how the Sox had traded Price and let Porcello go but had planned on having Sale, Eovaldi and E-Rod.  But that still is 2 short of a rotation, plus you have to have a sixth guy AND a AAA guy ready to come up.  So they were 4 short at that point.  Then everyone seems to act like Sale needing surgery is a surprise, even though he hasn't been very good since the middle of 2018.  IMO he should have had that surgery a year ago.  So the only real surprise if you will to the team was E-Rod going down.  But adding Sale and E-Rod to that mix, they are now 6 down in the depth chart.  So they brought in Perez.  Now they're 5 down.  Weber, okay, but he should be that AAA guy I mentioned or at best the 6th guy. 

Don't get me started on the relief pitching.  Last night was a classic game for the 2020 Sox.  They kept it interesting for a little while, but you knew that if the starter didn't give it up, the pen would, it was just a matter of when.  When they lit up Eovaldi for 8 I couldn't take any more.

Of course they are a pretty weak hitting team too.

I just wonder if it's worth it to do anything given the current season.  They're pretty much eliminated, especially when you consider they aren't even competitive with teams like the Rays and Yankees.  6 losses in a row is like a 16 game losing streak in May.  You don't recover from that.  They are challenging Pittsburgh for worst team in MLB. 

One final thing.  I know you can't win every year.  But I'm really tired of the Sox putting out an embarrassing product as often as they put out a winning product.

Bill-806

And John Henry & the BRIDE are having breakfast this morning trying to figure out how to UNLOAD this franchise and get their $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ back !!!! iono iono iono iono iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

SeaBeachFred

NO USE IN ME PILING ON WITH A LOT OF NASTY DIATRIBES.  I don't want to add to the anger my friends on the board feel.  I feel that too.  One thing we should all wonder and that is HOW THE HELL COULD A TEAM THAT LESS THAN TWO SEASONS AGO WON 119 GAMES AND THE WORLD SERIES COULD DESCEND INTO THE DEPTHS OF INCOMPETENCE IN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.  Someone should ask Prune Face Henry but he is too busy serving wine and cheese on his  yacht to his Brish soccer pals to ever give a shit.

Murph

Quote from: longgame on August 16, 2020, 10:38:27 AM

Since signing his contract at the end of 2018, Eovaldi is 3-3 with a 5.97 ERA.  And he's our best pitcher too.

I heard an oft-repeated tale of woe last night on the broadcast, about how the Sox had traded Price and let Porcello go but had planned on having Sale, Eovaldi and E-Rod.  But that still is 2 short of a rotation, plus you have to have a sixth guy AND a AAA guy ready to come up.  So they were 4 short at that point.  Then everyone seems to act like Sale needing surgery is a surprise, even though he hasn't been very good since the middle of 2018.  IMO he should have had that surgery a year ago.  So the only real surprise if you will to the team was E-Rod going down.  But adding Sale and E-Rod to that mix, they are now 6 down in the depth chart.  So they brought in Perez.  Now they're 5 down.  Weber, okay, but he should be that AAA guy I mentioned or at best the 6th guy. 

Don't get me started on the relief pitching.  Last night was a classic game for the 2020 Sox.  They kept it interesting for a little while, but you knew that if the starter didn't give it up, the pen would, it was just a matter of when.  When they lit up Eovaldi for 8 I couldn't take any more.

I just wonder if it's worth it to do anything given the current season.  They're pretty much eliminated, especially when you consider they aren't even competitive with teams like the Rays and Yankees.  6 losses in a row is like a 16 game losing streak in May.  You don't recover from that.  They are challenging Pittsburgh for worst team in MLB. 

One final thing.  I know you can't win every year.  But I'm really tired of the Sox putting out an embarrassing product as often as they put out a winning product.

I have said this from the start that under no circumstances should the FO spend a dime. I will get railed for this but I still think playing out the season a is is the way to go .Get the 1st pick trade away whatever they want and hopefully a TOTAL reset will make the competitive in 3 years . I really like what AV brings to the table with talent and being outspoken.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 16, 2020, 12:56:10 PM
NO USE IN ME PILING ON WITH A LOT OF NASTY DIATRIBES.  I don't want to add to the anger my friends on the board feel.  I feel that too.  One thing we should all wonder and that is HOW THE HELL COULD A TEAM THAT LESS THAN TWO SEASONS AGO WON 119 GAMES AND THE WORLD SERIES COULD DESCEND INTO THE DEPTHS OF INCOMPETENCE IN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.  Someone should ask Prune Face Henry but he is too busy serving wine and cheese on his  yacht to his Brish soccer pals to ever give a shit.
Leadership !!!!!  Nice guys finish last !!! iono iono iono iono iono sigh sigh sigh sigh

BoSoxFanNY

Sadly, the Sox are the WORST team in the American League
and the Pirates are the WORST team in the National League
with a record worse than ours.

At least - I don't feel a kick in the gut each time we lose.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 16, 2020, 10:38:27 AM

I think I mentioned something along those lines earlier in the week.  We will now have four WS Titles this century and four last place finishes.  There is no excuse for that and the media and press must let Henry know that this is the last time we're going to stand for that kind of crap.  Pruney also gets very impatient when these things happen and tries to come back with a splash, and he has gotten away with that in 2013 and 2018, but this off season there are no real top notch FA pitchers currently going on the market and we have nothing in the way of any kind of rotation that win games as we are currently put together.  This time there may be no miracle in the making and Prune Face may have to accept three or four years of shitty baseball while we suffer along with him for his short sightedness and stupidity.

In addition he has to look for a quality baseball man to take over as manager instead of another mediocre stop gapper, and for damn sure we need a pitching coach who knows how to teach and tutor pitching and while about it get some scouts who have pitching backgrounds so we don't get stuck w ith the likes of those bums  we keep signing and keep failing.  When you haven't developed one damn good starting pitcher since John Lester in 16 years there is reason to believe that some of the people we have working for us are as horse dung as some of the people we have playing for us right now.