ALDS GAME #1, FRIDAY, OCTOBER 5, 2018, NY YANKEES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by longgame, October 05, 2018, 02:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

markj

Nail-biter. Literally. But the Sox hang on for the win. Not an inspiring game for the BP or Cora, but they won, so what can I say.

elktonnick

I don't want to be Debbie downer but unless Cora figures out who in the bullpen to trust they won't survive this series.

ipot

Quote from: elktonnick on October 05, 2018, 10:16:59 PM
I don't want to be Debbie downer but unless Cora figures out who in the bullpen to trust they won't survive this series.

Indeed this is a huge problem.  This pen could be our downfall.....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

I would have gone with Porcello right after Sale. And maybe let him pitch a few innings seeing how sharp he was. But no one asked me, so... iono

ipot

"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

elktonnick

Workman has no business being on the mound except in a mop up role in a blow out game.  Unless the Sox are either ahead or behind by double digits, I don't see him again until Spring Training.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on October 05, 2018, 08:36:53 PM
I realize Sale was at 93 PC, but still...this bullpen isn't trustworthy. They'd better not blow this.

Perhaps I will live to regret I suggested this but there was Steven Wright available and we should all know he has had success pitching against the Yankees.  True, his knuckler might be off course but he usually handles it well and the Yankees have never had much success against him.  We have to consider using him from the bullpen.  He could be our missing piece.   Good to see Cora used Porcello tonight.  He knew he needed this game.  Nervous time and the shakes were vibrant but we got that first game we needed.  Now we need to see David Price shut his critics down and go out tomorrow and pitch a terrific game and go deep into it as well.  Would also be nice to get the jump on the Yankees again too.  We would really be in good shape if we could go to New York with a 2-0 lead.  Make it happen guys; you can get it done.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on October 05, 2018, 10:11:32 PM
They don’t make it easy do they?  This has been a tough game to watch since Sale came out.

Well I didn't watch the game pitch for pitch.  I watched the game in segments to keep my insanity and nerves from exploding and, besides, I was going to the bathroom every half hour.  Our bullpen must be better than it was tonight and maybe we may have to use some of our starters there.  I hate seeing the Meatball ad Jerkman in there.  Along with Kelly, they are close to useless.  Well, we won and maybe Alex will do a good job tomorrow handling the bullpen with some new people there like Wright and maybe Eovaldi or E-Rod.  They can't be any worse than the guys we used tonight.....or can they?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on October 05, 2018, 10:15:18 PM
Amazing that the Sox survived!

Survived is the proper word for it Elk but at least we won't wake up tomorrow morning in an ugly mood.  We don't have to get the shakes until the afternoon.

Bill-806

Quote from: ipot on October 05, 2018, 10:18:22 PM

Put it in the BOOKS as an important WIN...….  Read this MORNING that STEVIE WRIGHT is/could be out for the series with more problems to his RIGHT KNEE....  Left ovaaa  STUPIDITY by the former MANAGER  J F!!  thumb_d thumb_d thumb_d iono iono iono

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on October 06, 2018, 07:54:00 AM

Put it in the BOOKS as an important WIN...….  Read this MORNING that STEVIE WRIGHT is/could be out for the series with more problems to his RIGHT KNEE....  Left ovaaa  STUPIDITY by the former MANAGER  J F!!  thumb_d thumb_d thumb_d iono iono iono

You would think that by now Wright would be healed up enough to help us get through this series where we could sure use him.  David?????  We need you to get your first post season win tonight.....VERY VERY BADLY,  and you said Bill, ALL HANDS ON DECK and that means E-Rod and Nathan ready for action too.  They have to be much better than that bullpen of ours, and, please, no Jerkman, or meatball tonight.  And, dare I say, we need to go into New York with a 2-0 lead or we are in deep do-do.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 06, 2018, 09:02:47 AM
Quote from: Bill-806 on October 06, 2018, 07:54:00 AM

You would think that by now Wright would be healed up enough to help us get through this series where we could sure use him.  David?????  We need you to get your first post season win tonight.....VERY VERY BADLY,  and you said Bill, ALL HANDS ON DECK and that means E-Rod and Nathan ready for action too.  They have to be much better than that bullpen of ours, and, please, no Jerkman, or meatball tonight.  And, dare I say, we need to go into New York with a 2-0 lead or we are in deep do-do.
FRED, As DAD would say, "SON, dat's a B I N G O !!!!

elktonnick

I want to see Wright in there.  If Price falters as I expect he will, I want Wright first out of the gate.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on October 06, 2018, 09:14:23 AM
I want to see Wright in there.  If Price falters as I expect he will, I want Wright first out of the gate.
Can't PITCH on a BAD KNEE ?? iono iono iono