GAME #148, FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2018, NEW YORK METS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, September 14, 2018, 10:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

All that can be said about tonight is another game came off the schedule. On to Saturday.

SeaBeachFred

Cuevas, Pomeranz, Scott, Johnson, Velasquez-------is that the best we can do, a pack of bums like that?  Oh sure, tonight was just one of those games but notice how we have stopped hitting  the past half-dozen games?  If Rick Porcello and his supposed hitting mates ever needed to step up it is tomorrow afternoon.  We cannot be put in a position to get swept when we know the Yankees are going to destroy the Toronto Blue Jays this weekend, and we cannot afford to go into Yankee Stadium with our tails between our legs having gotten swept.  We not only need to come back and win tomorrow, but find a way to eek out a victory on Sunday to win this series.  Yes, I know I have been panicky a good deal of the time with this club but this is no time for them to fall on their faces.  Tomorrow whatever it takes, we must start hitting again and the pitchers we use must get the job done.  It would be great if Rick could do very deep in the game.

ipot

This is the kind of problematic mess I've been chirping about - we CAN'T score off starting pitching for some time now.  The bullpen trashing the joint is besides the point; it's not as if the likes of Cuevas, Thornburg and Robbie Scott were going to be lights out - of course not. 

Our bats looked mightily weak AGAIN against Snydergaard.  Of course, it's Snydergaard; he's pretty darn good.  But that's the point come postseason: Verlander, Kluber, Morton, Bauer, Cole, Manaea, Tanaka, Fiers, Bieber, Keuchel.  A lot of good arms, esp CLE and HOU.  We're gonna have to figure out a way to get to these guys because if it comes down to the pens, we may have problems.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Quote from: ipot on September 14, 2018, 10:04:10 PM
This is the kind of problematic mess I've been chirping about - we CAN'T score off starting pitching for some time now.  The bullpen trashing the joint is besides the point; it's not as if the likes of Cuevas, Thornburg and Robbie Scott were going to be lights out - of course not. 

Our bats looked mightily weak AGAIN against Snydergaard.  Of course, it's Snydergaard; he's pretty darn good.  But that's the point come postseason: Verlander, Kluber, Morton, Bauer, Cole, Manaea, Tanaka, Fiers, Bieber, Keuchel.  A lot of good arms, esp CLE and HOU.  We're gonna have to figure out a way to get to these guys because if it comes down to the pens, we may have problems.
B I N G O  !!!  We did not show up last night ??  Bullpen still trying to find itself.....  Remaining games will be interesting !!! iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl

longgame

5 pitchers.  One showed he could be on the postseason roster.  I get what Cora is doing throwing guys in to see what they can do, but the problem is we're learning too many guys can't get it done.  Against bad teams no less.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 15, 2018, 12:59:51 PM
5 pitchers.  One showed he could be on the postseason roster.  I get what Cora is doing throwing guys in to see what they can do, but the problem is we're learning too many guys can't get it done.  Against bad teams no less.

The time for throwing a pack of crap out there and see which one(s) stick is over, lead or not.  We should know by now that we have certain guys who you know cannot be trusted to do the job and Alex has to get that into this head.  He talked about how much easier it was to have so many items at your disposal a few days ago but sometimes and embarrassment of candidates is no advantage when many of them are garbage---like last night.  And what of the hitting?  This has been going on and off, on and off, on and off, since we swept the Yankees in early August.  To me, you put the best nine hitters in that lineup today and to hell with the rest...…...I will  tell you this unvarnished.  If we get swept in this series we stand a good chance of getting swept at YS.  Then our lead is down to 4.5 games and 2011 is once again staring  the Red Sox right into their choking faces.  Win today else---and depend on nothing from the Blue Jays.  They are dead men crawling.