GAME #147, THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2018, TORONTO BLUE JAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, September 13, 2018, 12:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on September 13, 2018, 08:55:26 PM
Ah, Brock. What was that? Don't go down looking at those.

He had a good seat at the plate. Never moved the bat off his shoulder. Not sure what he was looking for but apparently didn't get it so let them all go by.

markj

markj

Magic # at 6 with 15 games left for the Sox and 16 for the Yanks. Hard to blow this now.

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on September 13, 2018, 09:01:37 PM
Kelly was ugly, but the rest of the game was fine. 101 wins.

Not sure what is wrong with Kelly. I don't mind if guys get hits but to hit 2 guys in a row and the last guy on a 0-1 or 1-2 count is terrible. E-Rod pitched well and that's the important part in keeping the other team off the board. Poyner gave up a HR and Kelly gave up a run but Workman got out of the inning. Workman with the win & Kimbrel with the save. On to Friday. The Sox will see some very good pitching this coming series. Let's see if they can score some runs.

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on September 13, 2018, 09:06:26 PM
Magic # at 6 with 15 games left for the Sox and 16 for the Yanks. Hard to blow this now.

I believe it's 8 to clinch best record in the American League.

markj

Quote from: Schloicka on September 13, 2018, 09:14:49 PM
Quote from: markj on September 13, 2018, 09:06:26 PM

I believe it's 8 to clinch best record in the American League.

Probably so since Houston has a better record than the Yanks now.

markj

markj

And you're right, Geo. If Houston wins out (unlikely), the Sox can still end with the best record with 8 more wins.

ipot

Quote from: markj on September 13, 2018, 09:01:37 PM
Kelly was ugly, but the rest of the game was fine. 101 wins.

Ugh, I've had it with Kelly.  He's too unstable.  They need to drop him down the priority ladder in the pen.  Maybe to the bottom, or thereabouts.

And we better start really taking it to opposing starters, or we'll be in a tight spot.  Houston, Oakland or Cleveland won't make the kind of passed balls, Solarte errors to win us games. 
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on September 13, 2018, 08:24:47 PM
People who were asking the other day where is Poyner? There he is & there he goes. 3-2 Sox now with Kelly coming in to face Smoak. I'd just bypass Smoak and work on the next guy with 2 outs.

Yea, there Poyner went, but you know what George?   He hadn't gotten much work lately and if Alex can keep bringing in the usual suspects like Kelly, he ought to give Bobby another few shots to see if he can stabilize the bullpen because he can't do much worse than some of the others.  Besides, he did turn in some decent jobs between his shuttling on the Pawtucket Express earlier In the year.  Seems he was up and down like a pogo stick.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on September 13, 2018, 08:26:17 PM
Yep. And now Kelly has a chance to blow the game. Already has the tie run on. Got squeezed pretty hard by the ump, though.

markj, you know as well as I do when a umpire sees a pitchr whose control is very shaky he tends not to give him the close ones.....Kelly is a poster boy for that this season, and, besides, is he pitching or having target practice on Blue Jay hitters?  Fortunately we came back and won the game to complete the hat trick against Toronto.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on September 13, 2018, 08:33:45 PM
Dammit. This is so infuriating. No win for E-Rod because Cora is asleep at the wheel.

When Francona was the manager he was accused of being stubborn, and Farrell was accused of being just like him where stubbornness was concerned.  Cora seems to fit right into the Red Sox managers mix in that regard.  Either he learns that you can't use Kelly in those situations or DD informs him to get his shit together or we all suffer, fans, ownership and the players.

Bill-806

& THE JUG/A/NOT continues to sail...… Any word on NUNEZ ??? iono iono iono

longgame

Francona used to let his guys get into trouble early in the season to see what they had.  Could they get out of it, would they implode, etc.  Cora is doing the same now, which is okay to an extent as they have a huge lead with few to play.  So that's all well and good, but you've got to be ready when a guy like Kelly simply doesn't have it, and last night he didn't have anything good.  He's waited too long on a lot of guys (while pulling his starters early to keep them rested).  Hopefully he'll remedy that and have guys on a shorter leash in the postseason.  Given how last year's postseason played out I would imagine he would. 

Offense remains an issue lately as well.  As I've said before, the top 4 guys are hitting and then it drops off.  Moreland and Kinsler have good nights and nights they look lost.  JBJ continues to hit respectably as does Nunez but never seemingly at the same time.  The catcher spot is deadly for offense.  But we know that teams go through this.  Last year Cleveland was incredibly hot late in the season and cooled down and lost in the playoffs.  The Sox need to peak at the right time and two weeks before the end of the season is getting close to that time!