News:

RIP Willie Mays

Main Menu

Sox ready to promote Mayer?

Started by Sea Dog 23, June 03, 2024, 02:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Quite a few moves this week from Worcester to Boston.  They involved two second basemen (Westbrook and Alvarez) and Dalbec, a 3B and 1B.  I'm just spit balling that Sox could be clearing room to promote the god-child Marcelo Mayer (.295, .837 OPS) to AAA.  I would add Kyle Teel (.307, .908 OPS) to that also, but the Sox already have three or more catchers already at AAA.  One of those serves as the DH. Sox would likely trade or DFA a couple of those assets. So Teel would be maybe a Aug-Sept move to AAA.

A lot of folks I've read think Roman Anthony is just too young to move this year. He'll likely remain in Portland, his average has cooled off a bit from his 2023 numbers.  With Mayer and Teel, those are Prospects 1,2, and 3.

The big squeeze this off season, Breslpw will be mulling over about 60 players he will have to add to the 40 man roster, or have to put as risk on the Rule 5 pool for other clubs.  Names like pitcher Richard Fitts (prospect 6) a part of the Verdugo trade, Nick Yorke, Blaze Jordan, Nate Hickey and a lot of other pitchers.  I can guess if Dombroski was still calling the shots, he would be trading Prospects 25-50 for a couple major league ready players at the trade deadline or in post-season.

Sea Dog 23

The speculation now is Mayer getting the jump to AAA end of June.  We shall see.  This week Nick Yorke got his promotion to Worcester.  The 2020 first round draftee is .251/.361 OPS, 7% BB, 18% K rate. His power rating is down from 2023, but he fills the bill for a RH hitting INF, which the WooSox are missing from promotions to Boston last week.  His infield mate in AA is Mayer, so one source thinks the Sox will keep Yorke and Mayer together at 2nd and SS.

The Sox also promoted OF Matthew Lugo to Worcester over the weekend, .315/1.068 OPS at Portland.  Lugo is more known to be the nephew of Carlos Beltran.  His bat was obviously ahead of AS pitching.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on June 05, 2024, 05:17:50 PMThe speculation now is Mayer getting the jump to AAA end of June.  We shall see.  This week Nick Yorke got his promotion to Worcester.  The 2020 first round draftee is .251/.361 OPS, 7% BB, 18% K rate. His power rating is down from 2023, but he fills the bill for a RH hitting INF, which the WooSox are missing from promotions to Boston last week.  His infield mate in AA is Mayer, so one source thinks the Sox will keep Yorke and Mayer together at 2nd and SS.

The Sox also promoted OF Matthew Lugo to Worcester over the weekend, .315/1.068 OPS at Portland.  Lugo is more known to be the nephew of Carlos Beltran.  His bat was obviously ahead of AS pitching.

Saw a little of the WooSox game last night.  Lugo had a HR, Yorke had a hit and SB.  There isn't a lot of talent at AAA but they've got studs working through the system.