GAME #94, TORONTO BLUE JAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, July 17, 2017, 03:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

BLUE JAYS V RED SOX

MONDAY, JULY 17, 2017, 7 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, ESPN, (OUT-OF-MARKET ONLY), SNET

TORONTO, (42-49)................................................................................BOSTON, (52-41)

TORONTO:

MARCUS STROMAN, RHP, 9-5, 3.28, 93K

Stroman put his season's worst start behind him with three solid outings in a
row.  He allowed one run in seven innings his last time out against the Astros.
Against Boston in April, he gave up six runs in a loss.

BOSTON:

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ, LHP, 4-2, 3.54 ERA, 65K

The Red Sox are expected to activate the lefty from the disabled list to open this
four-game series against the Jays.  Rodriguez suffered a right knee subluxation on
June 1.  He has struggled against Toronto in his career, going 1-3 with a 6.35 ERA.

Jays, Red Sox open four-game set at Fenway

Jordan Horrobin

The Blue Jays make their first trip to Fenway Park this season when they open a four-game series against the Red Sox on Monday. Marcus Stroman will pitch for Toronto against Boston's Eduardo Rodriguez, who will be activated from the disabled list to make the start.

Toronto has only beaten Boston once in six games at Rogers Centre this year, but the Blue Jays took six of 10 at Fenway last season. The Red Sox could be running on fumes to start the series, having played a 16-inning game against the Yankees on Saturday and a day-night doubleheader on Sunday.

Due to the stress put on the bullpen over the weekend, Red Sox manager John Farrell says to expect some pitching roster moves to take place in preparation for this series.

Stroman is one of the select Toronto starters to have pitched without injury interruption this season. He has the ability to pitch deep into games, as one of just five MLB pitchers with multiple complete games this season. He's pitched into the sixth inning or later in all but four of his 18 starts.

One of his shortest starts came against the Red Sox, who tagged him for 11 hits and six runs in 4 2/3 innings in April. Since the beginning of 2016, Stroman is 0-2 with a 10.29 ERA in four starts against Boston.

Rodriguez hasn't pitched since his June 1 start against Baltimore, in which he allowed a season-high eight hits and seven earned runs in 5 2/3 innings. He was placed on the 10-day DL the following day with a right knee subluxation. In two rehab starts with Triple-A Pawtucket, his most recent assignment, Rodriguez was 0-1 with a 4.35 ERA and 12 strikeouts in 10 1/3 innings.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Current Red Sox hitters have a .315 batting average against Stroman, led by Xander Bogaerts (10-for-20) and Dustin Pedroia (7-for-15). Jackie Bradley Jr. is one of the few Boston players to struggle against Stroman, going just 1-for-13 (.077) with four strikeouts.

• Rodriguez owns a 1-3 record and 6.35 ERA in six career games (five starts) against the Blue Jays, but he pitched a scoreless inning of relief with two strikeouts in his only appearance against them this season.

• Stroman is tied for eighth in the Majors in average ground ball exit velocity allowed (85.9 mph) among pitchers with at least 150 batted ball events, according to Statcast.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170716242432052/jays-red-sox-open-four-game-set-at-fenway/?game_pk=491491

Bear

Red Sox v. Stroman:

Betts RF,
Pedroia 2B,
Bogaerts SS,
Moreland 1B,
Ramirez DH,
Benintendi LF,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Vazquez C,
Holt 3B,

Rodriguez

Bill-806

I give Fernando one more Knee twist then he will have to go !!  Lets see what he brings tonight !! iono

longgame

Quote from: Bill-806 on July 17, 2017, 06:44:24 AM
  I give Fernando one more Knee twist then he will have to go !!  Lets see what he brings tonight !! iono

Eduardo even!

I'm less worried about E-Rod than I am up about whether the bats are going to show up. 

ipot

Quote from: longgame on July 17, 2017, 08:07:50 AM

Eduardo even!

I'm less worried about E-Rod than I am up about whether the bats are going to show up.

Yup.  Stroman's not exactly a pushover, to make matters worse....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on July 17, 2017, 09:07:30 AM
Quote from: longgame on July 17, 2017, 08:07:50 AM

Eduardo even!

Yup.  Stroman's not exactly a pushover, to make matters worse....

And Pukegaerts has hit Stroman in the past so with that and Lin sent back to the minors it looks like we get that bum back in the lineup tonight.  Hope he gets at least one hit, a dubious possibility with the way he has been swinging of late, because if he has another bad day at the plate you can be almost certain he will take it out to shortstop with him and make an error or two as he did Saturday and Sunday.  Yes, it is true, I don't like the guy, honestly never have and think he is among the biggest chokers in sports.

Bill-806

In the  O B T W  department, J BJ & Mookie  make so many dazzling catches that it is almost common place & taken for granted....  Benni too !!   & what a first baseman in Moreland....... thumb_u rofl

Bill-806

E-ROD from the  back looks as big as the PANDA  !!!  Not good...   thumb_d iono rofl

Leesam01

E-Rod is showing rust - hopefully he has recovered sufficiently from his injury.

Sox showing no offense again.

Schloicka

An ok start from E-rod. Little rusty with his control. Need the bats to show up now.

markj

I see the Noffense is back. What is with these guys?

markj

Tied up at least. Took a perfect throw to get Betts at home.

Schloicka

Tied at 3 after 7. It took a perfect relay to get Betts at the plate. Betts ran through the stop sign.

markj

elktonnick

Walking the leadoff batter is inexcusable.