GAME #62, DETROIT TIGERS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, June 11, 2017, 01:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

TIGERS V RED SOX

SUNDAY, JUNE 11, 2017, 8 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  ESPN

DETROIT, (29-32)................................................................................BOSTON, (34-27)

DETROIT:

DANIEL NORRIS, LHP, 2-4, 4.48 ERA, 55K

Norris tossed six quality innings Tuesday against the Angel at Comerica Park,
but needed 110 pitches to do it.  As with many of his starts over the past month,
a big inning ballooned his count early with 30 pitches in the third.

BOSTON:

DEW POMERANZ, LHP, 6-3, 4.02 ERA, 71K

The lefty threw 123 pitches over just five innings in his last start, but he
allowed just one earned run and got the win at Yankee Stadium.  At Fenway
this season, Pomeranz is 4-1 with a 4.11 ERA in six starts.

Sox seek efficient Pomeranz, sweep of Tigers

Evan Chronis

Lefties Drew Pomeranz and Daniel Norris will face off in the conclusion of the Red Sox-Tigers weekend series on Sunday night at Fenway Park. Both pitchers are coming off performances that included their highest pitch totals of the season.

Pomeranz (6-3, 4.02 ERA) is fresh out of a five-inning, 123-pitch outing against the Yankees on Tuesday, but he was still able to earn the win after allowing one run. Sunday night's game will provide the opportunity for Pomeranz to extend his career-long winning streak to four wins in as many starts.

The return to the mound at Fenway Park will be a welcome one for Pomeranz, who is 4-1 in six starts at home this season.
Norris (2-4, 4.48 ERA) will look to get back on track after throwing 110 pitches in six innings and taking a loss against the Angels on Tuesday. He attributed the high pitch count to getting into his own head early in games.

"It's hard to explain, but there's just a string of a few batters every start where right at the end of my delivery, I lock up," Norris said after his last start. "It's like I'm thinking too much to try to throw a strike."
Norris is winless in his last six starts.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• During his four years in the Majors, Norris has struggled against the Red Sox. Boston has hit .364 against the lefty in four meetings, which is tied for the highest average any team has against the Tigers' starter.

• While Pomeranz has been unable to consistently make it into the late innings this season, he still has been striking out batters at a healthy pace. His 71 strikeouts are third on the team behind Chris Sale (119) and Rick Porcello (78), but Pomeranz has reached his tally in 24 fewer innings than Porcello.

• Norris has only thrown six pitches at Fenway Park. On Sept. 5, 2014, as a member of the Toronto Blue Jays, the left-hander was called on from the bullpen to face David Ortiz. He struck Ortiz out looking on a 3-2 curveball.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170610235665958/sox-seek-efficient-pomeranz-sweep-of-tigers/?game_pk=491040

Bear

RED SOX LINEUP

Red Sox vs. DET:

Betts RF,
Pedroia 2B,
Bogaerts SS,
Ramirez DH,
Moreland 1B,
Young LF,
Rutledge 3B,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Vazquez C,

Pomeranz LHP

Bill-806

Reminds me of my NAVY days, the fun does not start till the JUGGERNAUGHT gets there.... (The late inning offense)   thumb_u rofl iono

longgame

The dreaded Sunday night game...  Glad they don't have to travel.

ipot

Quote from: Bill-806 on June 11, 2017, 07:13:29 AM
  Reminds me of my NAVY days, the fun does not start till the JUGGERNAUGHT gets there.... (The late inning offense)   thumb_u rofl iono

Indeed.  How about jumping to a big early lead in the first 3 inns for a change?  And the hope Pomeranz holds his own? thumb_u
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Quote from: ipot on June 11, 2017, 02:31:59 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on June 11, 2017, 07:13:29 AM

Indeed.  How about jumping to a big early lead in the first 3 inns for a change?  And the hope Pomeranz holds his own? thumb_u
  B I N G O   Dat  !!!! thumb_u

markj

Quote from: ipot on June 11, 2017, 02:31:59 PM

No such luck. Usual 1st inning hole.

markj

Schloicka

Couple nice plays by Xman. Still 3-1 Tigers.

markj

Got another one back. This game is far from over.

Schloicka

Golden opportunity wasted. Got 1 but could of been a big inning.

markj

Schloicka

Tigers took a page out of the Sox playbook. Load them up and leave them.

markj

markj

Not one of Pom-pom's better outings.

Or Hembree's either, for that matter.