GAME #73, LA ANGELS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, June 23, 2017, 12:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill-806

Quote from: Bear on June 23, 2017, 05:21:42 PM
We've added Johnny Peralta to the mix...we have a 3b.
Panda and Peralta will share,.grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  Does he have anything left ?? Why was he available ?? iono

Schloicka

Dumb throw by Benintendi throwing the ball home but guess Leon should of stopped it.

Schloicka

JBJ screwed up the safety squeeze. Should of stayed at 3rd. I like the idea but poorly executed by JBJ.

markj

Uh-oh. Fred must be freaking about now.

markj

Schloicka

Good job by the offense in the 8th. Opened up the game again.

Schloicka

Sox win. On to Saturday. Hopefully Price does the job.

markj

Fred should be a happy camper. Glad to see Porcello get a win and have a decent start.

ipot

Quote from: Rob from Mass on June 23, 2017, 03:57:01 PM
On paper, it does not look good.
Meyer last 3 outings  1.08 era and Porcello 8.35
Let's all hope the paper is wrong tonight

Indeed. For a night the paper was wrong. 
Chalk it up to the Papi mystique, and now Fred's a happy fan!  thumb_u

And a nice night for Leon (4 rbis)
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bear

Bill-806

GREAT night for "BIG PAPI" & the RED SOX !!!  Keep going, one game at a time !! thumb_u rofl

MongoLikeSox

I'm so glad they won last night. The sox sort of imploded defensively and on the bases. AB has had his moments out there, but this time it was in bunches.

On AB's throw to home, and just in my interpretation of what happened, he was left on an island. It as a quick play. XB got up an ran to cover 3rd, I guess expecting Marrero to rotate down to a cut off position? Then with the ball coming in, they both ran from 3b towards the middle of the diamond for whatever reason, almost giving up 3b to the guy who got the hit to begin with. It looked like XB heard Marrero running behind him and realized 3b as uncovered and did a panicked pointing him back to 3B just in time. A really screwed up play. To AB's defense, he is rushing a ball on the ground with an all in one moment pick up, wind up, look up and throw motion. Part of that motion is to see the cut off man in his spot and somehow get instruction on whether or not to continue with the default throw. That decision is supposed to be made for him. Even if coaching was conceding a run before the play even developed in initial pre-at bat instruction. The "defensive play call", so to speak.

In this case, the default throw was to home. FWIW, I think Marraro is supposed to rotate down, but it's been so long. On the quick play, nobody has a chance to get down there except for him. The pitcher has back up duties normally, but they do rotate into cut off on the very quickly developing plays. Sale had to do so in a play last week on a hit to right.  I was kind of surprised that Remy and OB hung it all on AB. 

I was glad to see Kelly in the 8th, and glad he worked his way out of it despite not being at his best. I'm a fan of his and root for him for whatever reason. Consider any comments on him to be laced with wishful thinking. I'm mining for Fool's Gold.  ;D

Did Heath change his delivery? He looked like he was accentuating a sort of lowered body follow-through to me. I normally pay no attention to stuff like that, so it caught my eye for some reason. He hit 97 on the pitch I noticed it on, fwiw.

SeaBeachFred

Now that I am back in California let me tell all my friends out there who were worried, concerned or just curious about me.....well, it was a helluva night.  I made my reservations three or four months ago because I felt I had to be there for Papi's retirement of his illustrious #34.  I know deep in my bones that without him we would not have won those divisions titles in 2007, 2013 and 2016.  We most certainly would not have won the AL Pennants in '04. '07 and '13.  And no way on God's green earth would be have won those three World Series Titles in 2004, 2007 and 2013.  In other words we wouldn';t have won shit without Papi.  That's why I had to be there.  My only mistake was that I stayed through the weekend instead of flying home on Saturday, but more on  that later......I'm not spoiling this thread with mention of those two o ther games.

Bear

Thank you for sharing Fred.  I thought about you during the game and when we won,
I thought, Fred has to be a happy fella. thumb_u