Main Menu

Bridge Year(s)

Started by longgame, January 16, 2024, 12:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Well they finally admitted it.  Here's a link to comments Breslow made. 

https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/1747306690263781564/photo/1

TLDR: ownership is supportive of winning asap, but...just not right now, they're going to wait five or six years.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on January 16, 2024, 12:50:40 PM

TLDR: ownership is supportive of winning asap, but...just not right now, they're going to wait five or six years.

Ted, that just about describes where Boston sits in mid-Jan.  I don't think that was the plan starting out, but they seem to be in a box.  To get a free-agent pitcher, all those good ones are controlled by Boras.  He wants 6-7 years and 200mil for his guys.  If the Sox are looking at a trade, the partners look at Boston as desperate and want about all their top prospects for one starting pitcher.  That would be giving Mayer, Teel, or Anthony -- two of the three and others. 

Boston Mgt is in a pickle, and their wallet says no way.  On to 2025.  My guess is they pick up another ChicagoWS pitcher, like Clevenger (yikes) Ryu or go to another year of Paxton.  The last two guys are also Boras controlled.  The fans will be aghast.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on January 16, 2024, 01:35:30 PM
Quote from: longgame on January 16, 2024, 12:50:40 PM

Ted, that just about describes where Boston sits in mid-Jan.  I don't think that was the plan starting out, but they seem to be in a box.  To get a free-agent pitcher, all those good ones are controlled by Boras.  He wants 6-7 years and 200mil for his guys.  If the Sox are looking at a trade, the partners look at Boston as desperate and want about all their top prospects for one starting pitcher.  That would be giving Mayer, Teel, or Anthony -- two of the three and others. 

Boston Mgt is in a pickle, and their wallet says no way.  On to 2025.  My guess is they pick up another ChicagoWS pitcher, like Ryu or go to another year of Paxton.  The fans will be aghast.

I won't be aghast because I saw this coming.  Henry was diddling around the past three or four years and in that time they could have produced a farm system that was starting to get real productive by now, but they either drafted poorly or they simply didn't want to spend the money for quality talent.  Well I know where I will be  this summer, AND IT WON'T BE AT FENWAY PARK.  I'll be with my wife and grandkids traveling and seeing the sites in our state and also saving some money for when the Red Sox are more than just a sick joke.  When they start winning and showing that they are now "ALL IN" that's when land at Logan Airport with the look of the beast of prey anticipating that the Red Sox are the Red Sox again and ready and willing to annihilate their enemies.  And that's when I will spend my hard earned money for a trip to see my team. Anyone who does it differently and still spends their money to see these clowns play, well, to each his own.

longgame

The delusion continues, Baghdad Tom Werner said they were competitive on Yamamoto (they weren't) and that "full throttle" wasn't an artful way of saying tinkering on the edges and making no real moves.

Stop lying to the fans and say it - we think we have a window when these guys come up in 2 or 3 years and we'll have 4 or 5 years with these guys before we let them go.

Sea Dog 23

I am becoming more and more removed from believing pro teams have any buy-in.  In the NFL playoffs there were too many teams that did not really show up to play a competitive playoff game.  Relating back to last years baseball ALDS and ALCS, a few of the well stocked teams did not show much against some very average teams.  I think this enigma has spread to ownership groups like Boston for one, certainly the Brewers, who have offered up practically their entire roster for trade.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on January 17, 2024, 08:38:37 AM
I am becoming more and more removed from believing pro teams have any buy-in.  In the NFL playoffs there were too many teams that did not really show up to play a competitive playoff game.  Relating back to last years baseball ALDS and ALCS, a few of the well stocked teams did not show much against some very average teams.  I think this enigma has spread to ownership groups like Boston for one, certainly the Brewers, who have offered up practically their entire roster for trade.

There's so much money in it that winning and losing doesn't matter as much.  Let's relegate the Sox to AAA for a few years to see if they can understand the importance of winning.

The NFL playoff game on Peacock is a great example of where we are.  The NFL is traditionally readily available on popular and available channels every week.  Now all of a sudden the put a playoff game on a paid channel.  At least when MLB did this it was regular season and I took a three month free trial subscription.  No such option for Peacock.  What a deal for streaming services to get paid by the customers and by advertisers.  The owners of these teams think everyone else is as rich as they are.

longgame

We need Ted Koppel to do "Red Sox Nation Held Hostage - Day 78".  Another day with no action.

SeaBeachFred

Apparently John Henry and his pack of flunkies running the show think they can get away with turning our team into another shit show this coming season......and you know what???  They can get away with it if the pink hats and boot lickers pack the park in a show of loyalty to an organization that is selling them down the river.  The only answer we have to this flagrant destruction of our team is to stay away, don't go to Fenway, don't tune in to NESN or follow their games on TV, refuse to buy any Red Sox gear whether jerseys, tee shirts, hats, etc.  JUST BOYCOTT!!!!.  I know it will hurt to do that but what choice to we have?  We have finished last three of the last four seasons, looks like it will be four of five in 2024, and that would make it seven times in 13 seasons going back to 2012.  Our team doesn't give a rip about winning, only making money for future investments in other sports while their main business is on hold thinking they can keep expanding elsewhere and we'll just go along with what they're doing.  We need to make it hurt bad for them to wake up and understand that we have a right to see our team compete for a playoff sport EVERY @#$%&?! YEAR.  Sorry for the rant but I think some of you out there agree with me.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on January 18, 2024, 06:55:55 PM
Apparently John Henry and his pack of flunkies running the show think they can get away with turning our team into another shit show this coming season......and you know what???  They can get away with it if the pink hats and boot lickers pack the park in a show of loyalty to an organization that is selling them down the river.  The only answer we have to this flagrant destruction of our team is to stay away, don't go to Fenway, don't tune in to NESN or follow their games on TV, refuse to buy any Red Sox gear whether jerseys, tee shirts, hats, etc.  JUST BOYCOTT!!!!.  I know it will hurt to do that but what choice to we have?  We have finished last three of the last four seasons, looks like it will be four of five in 2024, and that would make it seven times in 13 seasons going back to 2012.  Our team doesn't give a rip about winning, only making money for future investments in other sports while their main business is on hold thinking they can keep expanding elsewhere and we'll just go along with what they're doing.  We need to make it hurt bad for them to wake up and understand that we have a right to see our team compete for a playoff sport EVERY @#$%&?! YEAR.  Sorry for the rant but I think some of you out there agree with me.

Fred, I am beginning to look into alternatives this spring.  Trying to follow the Red Sox ship every day, leaking water as it is, is downright depressing.  I'm thinking of NCAA baseball, SEC and ACC, and I saw a hockey game this week for the first time in a long time.  There is also a White Sox AAA club that plays up in Charlotte.  These are desperate times, and I hate to see some of the Sox regulars like Casas and Devers have to struggle through another brutal season.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on January 18, 2024, 08:18:05 PM

Fred, I am beginning to look into alternatives this spring.  Trying to follow the Red Sox ship every day, leaking water as it is, is downright depressing.  I'm thinking of NCAA baseball, SEC and ACC, and I saw a hockey game this week for the first time in a long time.  There is also a White Sox AAA club that plays up in Charlotte.  These are desperate times, and I hate to see some of the Sox regulars like Casas and Devers have to struggle through another brutal season.

We should grab Mongo and check out the Knights, or head up his way to see the Bulls.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on January 19, 2024, 07:36:25 AM

We should grab Mongo and check out the Knights, or head up his way to see the Bulls.

If I lived in that area I would be more than happy to join you.  Nothing out here to root for this season.  I can't stand the Dodgers and the Angels are an embarrassment.  Then again, that pretty much sounds like our team, doesn't it?

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on January 19, 2024, 07:36:25 AM

Ted, there is a Knights-Worcester series coming up on May 28 for six games.  Maybe Mongo could get down to one of those.  Or I'd welcome a trip up to the Bulls.  May is past the heavy weather season in the Carolinas.  lol.

longgame

Sounds good!  Let’s keep it in mind as the season gets closer.

MongoLikeSox

How about Banana Ball if they come to Durham again this year?   ;D

I've been quiet on the Red Sox front for a few weeks. I'm not giving Ops management a free pass. They are the ones who got us into this mess to begin with. This team is not fit to invest in, and it's Management's fault. There is so much that is wrong with the Red Sox approach to EVERYTHING that it's difficult to hold out any hope that what few positive signs of anything will last into 2024 and beyond.

The growth in the farm system is all we have going forward. To trade that away for a couple of starting pitchers in an effort to improve a team that can't even catch the ball has got to be the definition of throwing good money after bad. To that end, I applaud their resistance to sell out for 2024. I'll say it again, though, this is all their fault.

SeaBeachFred

From the lack of verbal action on this board of late I'm beginning to believe that our group will taking a lot of time off around here as we have come to the sad conclusion that our team is going nowhere but to hell in hand basket in 2024.  We are already weaker than we were at the end of the 2023 season and it is obvious that owner Prune Face Henry is determined to hold on tightly to his wallet again.  Good to see however that the Boston press, even from the pruney owner Globe have not hesitated is hammering the guy for running the team into the ground.  I hope to travel to see some baseball this season but NOT  to Fenway Park for their now annual shit show.  Hopefully some of us can still keep in touch here or on the phone.