Main Menu

Abreu up?

Started by Sea Dog 23, August 22, 2023, 06:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Some Latin American outlets are saying Abreu is getting called up from Worcester.
It could be Duran is going IL.  But I don't know how they work the numbers.

Sea Dog 23

Confirmed in the Globe today, Duran on the 10 day.

We initially heard that Jarren Duran was day-to-day with the toe injury that he suffered in the last game of the Yankees series, but word came out in the middle of the night that he’ll be going on the 10-day IL. Duran’s been struggling lately but, nevertheless, this is a blow to a team that had really come to rely on his dynamism. Wilyer Abreu will get the call from Worcester to fill in. (Julian McWilliams, Boston Globe)

MongoLikeSox

I've been looking forward to seeing how he can manage RF in addition to his adjustment to MLB pitching. It's tough to pick things up on the Minor League games due to limited camera angles and replays when it comes to defense sometimes, especially for the OF. 

Well, good grades for stinging a couple of hits. Bad grades for fielding, and maybe for the swing he made on the 3rd strike against Verlander when we really needed a base hit to bring Wong in from 2B. We did see his eye at the plate the next AB when he scorched that double.

I mentioned elsewhere that I give him a pass on the throw just for being his first game and he tried too hard and unleashed a flier. If I give him that one, then he gets one for the huge 3rd strike swing on Verlander. The bobble on the double a few innings later was more disappointing to me. I hope that's a one off nerves related thing.

longgame

Agree on the throw.  I must have missed the bobble as I wasn’t paying attention at that time. I’ll give him a pass for a lot in his first game and coming up with 2 hits was pretty good.

MongoLikeSox

Yeah, the bobble was on the double by Singleton down the line. The camera angle used did not show what happened when Abreu got to the ball due to the fence. A replay showed it afterwards.

As the play happened, I thought Abreu had a shot at getting him out at 2B and was watching for the throw that never happened. I was looking forward to a better throw.

I wonder if he'll get a start tonight? We can't sit Verdugo down too much or we get nothing for him in the off-season. (assuming we make a trade. That's a whole other topic.)

MongoLikeSox

Well, so far, I think Abreu is doing OK. I do not like his swing for the fences on every single pitch mentality.

I don't really have too much to say on his defense yet. Can't knock a guy for losing a roof ball in Tampa in his 1st trip. Otherwise he's looked solid. I'd like to see him navigate the walls some more. I think his position in Fenway should be RF, though that's assuming Cora/Bloom/Verdugo never solve their problems with each other.

elktonnick

The Trop is a dump.  It's filthy dirty.  No  team should be playing there.

MongoLikeSox

I've never been there, but I have to agree with you and Youk.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 07, 2023, 07:51:39 AM
Well, so far, I think Abreu is doing OK. I do not like his swing for the fences on every single pitch mentality.

I don't really have too much to say on his defense yet. Can't knock a guy for losing a roof ball in Tampa in his 1st trip. Otherwise he's looked solid. I'd like to see him navigate the walls some more. I think his position in Fenway should be RF, though that's assuming Cora/Bloom/Verdugo never solve their problems with each other.

Well I have a lot to say about Abreu.  He looks like he could be a miniature version of our old worthless bum Frenchy Fry who in four attempts by the team to see if he could play (he stunk). Abreu swings from his ass, struck out three times in three at-bats and looked like he was befuddled playing the outfield.  Then there was Rafaela who was once again glued the bench until called upon to pinch hit and doubles, raising his average to 467.  Once again Bora Bora Cora was fixated with his insistence on platooning. Raf looks like the real thing and while the Yankees have shined with their new young star Dominguez we still see Rafaela reduced to being a fill in while a seemingly still shaky Abreu is out playing at the expense of one of our better prospects. Another reason that Cora HAS  GOT TO BE JETTISONED AFTER THIS SEASON.  The damage he and Bloom have done to the team this season has been horfific and their retention only spells more misery for the team next year.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 07, 2023, 09:07:45 AM
I've never been there, but I have to agree with you and Youk.

I went there some years ago. Just a terrible place to see a game.

MongoLikeSox

My Wife and Sister-in-Law went one time about 15 years ago and had little nice to say about the experience.

Abreu starts tonight. Maybe they can get him to tame it down a teensy bit like Devers did last night?

MongoLikeSox

Abreu has showed me enough. On the bad side, defensively, I've seen him struggle on a ceiling ball in Tampa and he flew the catcher on his first attempt throwing to home in Houston. Offensively, his swing to kill appears to have gotten under control a few games before Devers dialed his back.

The plate discipline is there. The great thing about that aspect is how it grew almost each year and level up until AAA. A-/A was 11%, A+ 16%, AA 19.7% and AAA was very nice 16%. The on base percentage grew each year and level up. Starting with his first US level at age 19, the OBP's were .310, .326, .369, .399 before a slight dip to .391 in AAA. The batting average climbed along with it save for his 21 point dip in his AA season when he drew 114BB.

The power numbers grew at a different. somewhat sporadic pace. Never great except for a few weeks in Worcester this season. Always serviceable since the Pandemic. The K-Rates exploded and then shrunk in that time span. Still needs work, but that might be evidenced by his more controlled swings lately. 

I see him landing as one of those secondary studs that support the star hitters in the line-up. Maybe a Trot Nixon type. Same age breaking in, too.

MongoLikeSox

sorry, gotta repeat myself again. Abreu showing more plate discipline and situational swinging today. Good for him. Great for us. Coachable talent.