Eovaldi signs with the Rangers

Started by markj, December 27, 2022, 09:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

From The Globe:

QuoteThe Texas Rangers are adding another proven veteran to their revamped starting rotation.

Texas native Nate Eovaldi agreed to a two-year contract that includes a vesting option for an additional season, according to a person familiar with the deal that comes 3½ weeks after the Rangers added two-time NL Cy Young Award winner Jacob deGrom in free agency.

The person spoke to the Associated Press Tuesday night on condition of anonymity because Eovaldi’s deal was not finalized and the club had not announced the move.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/12/27/sports/nate-eovaldi-reportedly-signs-with-texas-rangers/

SeaBeachFred

Anybody out there really think we were going to sign Eovaldi?  If you say yes, I will give offer you a real good chance to buy sone prime lakefront real estate in Bangledesh.

MongoLikeSox

I was hopeful, but I think hope went by the wayside after the Winter Meetings. Earlier than that, I was hopeful he'd accept the QO.  It will be interesting to see his velocity numbers next season to see what the Rangers get for their investment. 2 years, $34M does not seem like a ton of money for him. A 3rd year vesting option could make the contract jump quite a bit. I don't know all of the details, but MLB.com said the contact could max out at $63M. I assume that's if all the performance/appearance numbers are reached.

Sort of sounds like the type of creative contract in which Bloom was supposed to take pride in being able to create.

longgame

Seems like another lost opportunity.  They should have traded him and JDM and Bogey for that matter if they weren’t going to sign these guys.  This is what happens when you have no strategy.

elktonnick

From everything that I have read I believe Eovaldi joined the growing list of top players who want no part of Bloom's  Red Sox .  I think they all believe the Red Sox are no longer committed to fielding a winning team.
I believe this is all fallout from the Vazquez trade and losing Bogaerts. I also see this as indication Devers will never accept a Red Sox deal unless they overwhelm him with an offer well in excess of what any other would offer.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on December 28, 2022, 11:37:39 AM
From everything that I have read I believe Eovaldi joined the growing list of top players who want no part of Bloom's  Red Sox .  I think they all believe the Red Sox are no longer committed to fielding a winning team.
I believe this is all fallout from the Vazquez trade and losing Bogaerts. I also see this as indication Devers will never accept a Red Sox deal unless they overwhelm him with an offer well in excess of what any other would offer.

It doesn't take a master prognosticator to read the tea leaves.  Rats deserting a sinking ship, old guys willing to sign short term contracts in search of recapturing past glory, just doesn't feel like a team, rather an assembly of players.