Main Menu

Kiermaier to the Jays

Started by longgame, December 10, 2022, 06:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 16, 2022, 05:43:31 AM
A big pitching prize to Cashman and NY, Carlos Rodon, 6/$162.

geez, I wonder if the Sox could afford Rich Hill.

Usually if you go through the lineups position by position, the Sox and Yankees match up well - some better on team or the other and a lot of tossups.   I’d say they likely now beat us at ever spot in the roster, save 3B.  For now. 

Sea Dog 23

Cubs and Dansby Swanson are closing on a deal.  The last of the big three shortstops.  Bloom &Co are under orders to rake in the dinero, raise ticket prices and give a big middle finger to the fan base.  Maybe the Orioles are within reach this year.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 17, 2022, 03:28:14 PM
Cubs and Dansby Swanson are closing on a deal.  The last of the big three shortstops.  Bloom &Co are under orders to rake in the dinero, raise ticket prices and give a big middle finger to the fan base.  Maybe the Orioles are within reach this year.

They will NOT see me travel to Fenway Park to spend my hard earned money to watch trash on the field, and I won't even consider it until Bloom is sent packing and the press do a destruction campaign on that  worthless cheap bastard passing as an owner.  What now, take back the DFA of Jeter Downs and pass him off as our new shortstop with his 60 strikeout race and his below Mendoza Line pathetic showing at the plate?  And give me any Elvis Andrus or Jose Eglesias either.

elktonnick

Fred,The idea that Bloom is ever going to build a contending team is wishful thinking.  I doubt if the Sox w8ill ever make the playoffs in the near future.  Offensively the outfield sucks. Defensively it is not much better.  The infield will be mediocre at best assuming they find some one to play Short or 2nd.  They are placing all their hopes that Casas will pan out at 1st.  Catcher remains a question mark.  Right now I project this to be 75 win team.

longgame

I seriously don’t get what the “plan” is.  Bloom wanted to add 7 to 9 players but added 5 and lost 1 who was better than any of the 5.  He wants to go after trades but anyone of value is locked up (wisely) so they have nothing to trade.  This is the least powerful Sox team I’ve ever seen.  Manny and Papi anyone?   Poor defense.   Gotta give Jansen a lot of credit.  With a poor rotation and no offense, backed up by bad defense he’s unlikely to see too many save situations. 

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on December 18, 2022, 11:08:27 AM
I seriously don’t get what the “plan” is.  Bloom wanted to add 7 to 9 players but added 5 and lost 1 who was better than any of the 5.  He wants to go after trades but anyone of value is locked up (wisely) so they have nothing to trade.  This is the least powerful Sox team I’ve ever seen.  Manny and Papi anyone?   Poor defense.   Gotta give Jansen a lot of credit.  With a poor rotation and no offense, backed up by bad defense he’s unlikely to see too many save situations.

If these slow as molasses things are still going on in January, I’d say Henry could be taking offers for some group to buy the Red Sox.  Why else would he insist on these continuous short term contracts? Sale’s deal is up next year I think.  He did sign Yoshida to 5 yrs. Story has an opt out in two years.  I’m getting way ahead of myself,  but something really stinks with the Red Sox.

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 18, 2022, 12:28:34 PM

If these slow as molasses things are still going on in January, I’d say Henry could be taking offers for some group to buy the Red Sox.  Why else would he insist on these continuous short term contracts? Sale’s deal is up next year I think.  He did sign Yoshida to 5 yrs. Story has an opt out in two years.  I’m getting way ahead of myself,  but something really stinks with the Red Sox.

I have long believed that Henry's recent purchase of the NHL team has left him in a tough situation financially.  He is not running the Red Sox in isolation.  He is doing much the same with Liverpool.  I understand their fans are as pissed at him as are Red Sox fans fans.  News is that he is either wishing to sell Liverpool or seeking new investors.  Now why would he do that after buying the Penguins if his financial situation were solid.   My guess that the recent up turn in interest rates is having its impact on FSG.

What I am surprised is why the Boston media is not asking questions. My guess is they are all in the tank for Henry and know their limits on how far they can criticize him personally.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on December 18, 2022, 12:41:49 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 18, 2022, 12:28:34 PM

I have long believed that Henry's recent purchase of the NHL team has left him in a tough situation financially.  He is not running the Red Sox in isolation.  He is doing much the same with Liverpool.  I understand their fans are as pissed at him as are Red Sox fans fans.  News is that he is either wishing to sell Liverpool or seeking new investors.  Now why would he do that after buying the Penguins if his financial situation were solid.   My guess that the recent up turn in interest rates is having its impact on FSG.

What I am surprised is why the Boston media is not asking questions. My guess is they are all in the tank for Henry and know their limits on how far they can criticize him personally.

Well the Boston media has gutless shit for brains and should band together with the best lawyers in Boston to prepare a massive law suit based on unlawful termination should that bastard owner try to retaliate on his sport staff for their determination to stand up to that man and what he is doing to the team.  The Herald is not owned by him and neither are the papers in Prividence, Hartford and elsewhere.  Bloom has to be fired and Henry has to be forced to sell a team he doesn't want to see win anymore. And then he can take Bloom with him, buy the Pirates and spend as little as possible because that team is used to starvation spending for their team.

Sea Dog 23

Carlos Correa has failed his physical with San Fran an is now back in play as a free agent.  Bloomer Boy mow has a SS fall into his hands.

But Noooo. The teams that jumped right in who can afford his contract are Mets and Dodgers.  It is what it is.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 21, 2022, 05:09:34 AM
Carlos Correa has failed his physical with San Fran an is now back in play as a free agent.  Bloomer Boy mow has a SS fall into his hands.

But Noooo. The teams that jumped right in who can afford his contract are Mets and Dodgers.  It is what it is.

Apparently signed with the Mets.  Wow.  The Mets are all in.  The Yankees announce Judge as their Captain.  The Red Sox sign a minor leaguer - a minor league utlityman no less.  Imagine a minor leaguer not good enough to lock down a position and of course Bloom goes out and gets him. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on December 21, 2022, 10:49:13 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 21, 2022, 05:09:34 AM

Apparently signed with the Mets.  Wow.  The Mets are all in.  The Yankees announce Judge as their Captain.  The Red Sox sign a minor leaguer - a minor league utlityman no less.  Imagine a minor leaguer not good enough to lock down a position and of course Bloom goes out and gets him.

What else can you expect from that poop for brains Bloomer Boy?  Niko Goodrum failed in Detroit and elsewhere but did play for a short time for the WSC Astros this year.  Maybe he learned a little about winning.  Still another shitty signing but it might keep the crappy Jeter Downs out of Boston, who I suspect cleared waivers because the three time loser is just a sunk cost.

elktonnick

Another Swiss Army Knife for the junk draw.  I think Bloom is trying to set the major league record for having  the most players who can play multi positions without being very good at any one position.

Sea Dog 23

Yankees closing in on trade with Pirates for Brian Reynolds.  The ALEast run  will be a moot point this year.   Meanwhile the Sox are aggressive --- no  more like passive aggressive   sigh

Sea Dog 23

Th Sox had been exploring the trade market several weeks for a good OF.  Those trades come at a cost.  One of those Sox targets was Varsho of Dbacks.

Yesterday D backs traded OF Varsho for Jays’ top prospect catcher Moreno and starting OF Guriel Jr. The Sox are back on the clock.  Maybe a trade with Marlins for INF Joey Wendle .   Marlins turned down the trade pieces for SS Rojas.  With the lack of a great bat, as those two players lack the punch, the net changes do not improve the Sox from infield 2022.  (Wendle hit .270 in 22 I think).

longgame

It would seem to me that a club would go into the offseason with a plan.  We want these guys, and if we don’t get player A, we move on to Player B. By contrast, the Sox appear to have no plans and seem to cast about with “interest” in lots of players.  You lose a SS, you go an get your second choice for SS, right?  It’s sort of like shopping for a car and when they don’t have it you just walk home and maybe try to buy a horse and some goats?