Main Menu

Kiermaier to the Jays

Started by longgame, December 10, 2022, 06:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Didn’t see the terms.  Seems the kind of guy Bloom would have liked and is better than any outfielder we have.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on December 10, 2022, 06:11:45 PM
Didn’t see the terms.  Seems the kind of guy Bloom would have liked and is better than any outfielder we have.

At this point in the off-season, I don’t se Sox going after any of the marquis stars, or wanting to spend for anybody who would help better a team that finished 21 games behind MFY.  It looks more and more like another bridge year to the young stars with the money not doled out this year going to a do or die $300 mil++ to keep Devers. 

In their eyes the SS they need is two years down the road in Mayer and the OF in Raphaela.  The remaining deal in January will be a trade of Duran/Dalbek and a high prospect for a back end rotation pitcher. Welcome to Kansas City North.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 11, 2022, 05:14:32 AM

At this point in the off-season, I don’t se Sox going after any of the marquis stars, or wanting to spend for anybody who would help better a team that finished 21 games behind MFY.  It looks more and more like another bridge year to the young stars with the money not doled out this year going to a do or die $300 mil++ to keep Devers. 

In their eyes the SS they need is two years down the road in Mayer and the OF in Raphaela.  The remaining deal in January will be a trade of Duran/Dalbek and a high prospect for a back end rotation pitcher. Welcome to Kansas City North.

I think you hit it on the head Sea Dog, but such is a miserable judge of talent Bloom is he is more likely trade the good prospects and keep the duds like the few he got in previous trades.  He could sign Swanson and eventually move him to third when Mayer is ready to take over at shortstop, and let's be sure of Raphaela before we go overboard with him.  We said he same thing with Duran and look where he rates with us now.  Of course the front office and management jerked him around and whose to say we won't do the same with Raphy.  It seems that since 2018's conclusion to a great season this team has made one blunder after another, and don't be surprised if they fail to sign Devers-----and that ought to be Bloom's ticket to the unemployment line.  Frankly, I do not think we will sign Devers and will trade him next season for some of Bloom's "prospects" that most likely won't ever get to Boston since he is such a shitty judge of talent.

longgame

Then of course they were supposed to be the front runners for Kodai Senga and didn't get him.  The Mets have sure made a splash.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on December 12, 2022, 08:53:34 AM
Then of course they were supposed to be the front runners for Kodai Senga and didn't get him.  The Mets have sure made a splash.

A $350m payroll will turn a lot of heads.  Cohen is with about $9 billion.  If it stifles NYY, I'll take that as  a small victory.   thumb_u

SeaBeachFred

He's holding out for Jackie Bradley.  It is just the type of thing Bloomer Bum would do.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 12, 2022, 11:25:58 AM

A $350m payroll will turn a lot of heads.  Cohen is with about $9 billion.  If it stifles NYY, I'll take that as  a small victory.   thumb_u

The Mets mean business and so do the Padres.  Quite a contrast to our bumbling bunch of losers in our front office.

Sea Dog 23

The Braves trading with the A’s for stud catcher Sean Murphy in a 3-team deal with Brewers.  Cubs and Brewers are reportedly doing another trade today.  Meanwhile the Sox MGT. is on life support.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on December 12, 2022, 02:13:47 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 12, 2022, 11:25:58 AM

The Mets mean business and so do the Padres.  Quite a contrast to our bumbling bunch of losers in our front office.

Hard to believe that the Padres can keep dealing out these big contracts year after year.  Machado, Tatis and Bogey add up to about $1B in salary commitment.  I guess they don't plan on selling that team any time soon.  The Dodgers seem to have unlimited payroll as well.  The Sox have a ton tied up in Sale, but other than that you have to wonder how they don't have enough to spend on anyone.  I really do think they thought Bogey would come back to them and that they didn't have that money available and never even considered a Plan B. 

elktonnick

A couple of things about long term contracts, they are not as expensive as they appear in real terms.  A 7 percent inflation rate means that an 11 year contract is worth half in real dollars at the end of the contract as it does in the beginning.  Secondly the real gamble on San Diegos part is the health of the player. One presumes that SanDiego will be able to mitigate some of the risk through insurance.  Several years ago the Washington Post published an article about such insurance after the Nats signed Strasburg.

Sea Dog 23

There seems to be a move afoot for MFY to sign Eovaldi.  Another  thumb in the eye  of distraught Sox fans.  Add to that, Baltimore is in contact with Wacha.

Have the Sox FO gone into the bunker? Radio silence since the Bogey deal.  IMO the Bogey deal sent shockwaves through MGT.  I think they’re spending all their time finding out how they can now plug the dyke and somehow save Devers.  Word is, they can’t walk and chew gum together!   sigh

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 15, 2022, 07:43:45 AM
There seems to be a move afoot for MFY to sign Eovaldi.  Another  thumb in the eye  of distraught Sox fans.  Add to that, Baltimore is in contact with Wacha.

Have the Sox FO gone into the bunker? Radio silence since the Bogey deal.  IMO the Bogey deal sent shockwaves through MGT.  I think they’re spending all their time finding out how they can now plug the dyke and somehow save Devers.  Word is, they can’t walk and chew gum together!   sigh

They announced Yoshida and DFA'd Downs.  I think they're done other than an infield depth piece.  Do they think anyone on this staff has more than 3 or 4 innings a night in them?  I thought Wacha was pretty decent.  I've always been a bit up and down on Eovaldi.  But someone has to pitch after Chris Sale gets injured in Spring training. 

elktonnick

Downs dfa'd another Bloom success story.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on December 15, 2022, 03:57:46 PM
Downs dfa'd another Bloom success story.

At first that seems like very good news since Downs was worthless at the bat, in the field and was only good for massing a ton of strikeouts.  He won't be missed at all.  But this was one of the three players we got for Mookie Betts?????  Are you shitting me????  Connor Wong is a reserve catcher who can't hit a lick, is very average behind the plate and is almost sure to be sent away after a year or two.  All we got of value for a future HOF is Alex Verdugo, good players but we could have done better with a couple of other prospects, but knowing how shitty Bloom is maybe we were lucky to get what we got.  Of course, DFA means nothing in Boston.  We DFA them, no one claims  then and they're back in the farm system al la Franchy, etc.  Still we did get rid of one piece of crap in Downs and that has to be some sort of progress for a team that has done little to improve themselves this Fall.

Sea Dog 23

A big pitching prize to Cashman and NY, Carlos Rodon, 6/$162.

geez, I wonder if the Sox could afford Rich Hill.