The All Rejected the Red Sox Team - WIP

Started by MongoLikeSox, December 02, 2022, 09:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Just a little fun as I wallow in my current state of Red Sox misery.

OK, so the 'Sox have been hot and heavy into several players including a couple of their own, only to fail for various reasons. I thought it would be interesting to created a team out of the players who rejected us after having serious interest in this off-season.

Update - Given the nature of these things, rumors and leaks are almost the only means of finding out who was on the list. To fill up a team, I'll include some of our own who have gotten traded or released.

The All Rejected & Ejected Red Sox team.

The known players to make the team.
C - Christian Vasquez - Bloom created this problem. Would have been affordable, too. Pathetic. He's on the list.
1B/DH - Jose Abreu
1B/DH - Eric Hosmer (there's gotta be something we don't know, right?)
SS - Xander Bogaerts
SS - Dansby Swanson (signed with the Cubs for 7 years, $177M. )
RF/DH - Mitch Haniger (Giants - 3 yr, $43.5M)
OF - Tommy Pham (Signed with Mets - I think we showed no interest.)
DH - JD Martinez (Dodgers for 1 yr, $10M - Sox offered a Minor League deal? Really?)
SP - Andrew Heaney (Wanted nothing to do with us)
SP - Nathan Eovaldi
SP(L) - Rich Hill
SP/RP - Zach Eflin
SP - Michael Wacha
RP(L) - Matt Strahm
RP     - Tommy Kahnle (Yankees out bid us)
RP(L) - Josh Taylor (Traded to Royals for Mondesi and PTBNL)
RP(R) - Matt Barnes (DFA'd)
RP(R) - Andrew Politi (Rule 5 to ???)
SP/RP(R) - Thad Ward (Rule 5 to the Nationals)
SP - Noah Song (Rule 5 to the Phillies)

Depth Squad
2B - Hoy Park (The Braves repeated the Red Sox move and got him after a DFA. PTBNL)
SS - Jeter Downs (I thought he might get traded. Maybe if he clears waivers?)
SP(R) - Conner Seabold (DFA'd to make room for Kluber  - then traded to Rockies. PTBNL)
DH - Franchy Cordero (It will be curious to see if the O's can turn this statcast darling into a useful piece.)
RP(L) - Darwinzon Hernandez (Cleared, Baltimore picked up.)
RP(R) - Franklin German

Free Agents We have Chased or are chasing
Kodai Senga (Mets  5yr, $75M) - Don't know if I'll include Senga. Almost every team kicked the tires on this one.

Lost Despite Best Efforts - TBD
(See the team above. Quite a few in there.)
Elvis Andrus - SS (Sox chasing him according to rumors on MLB)
Jerickson Profar - OF/IF (Another Sox pursuant according to MLB rumors.)

I'm sure we'll not fill an entire roster. There are other elements that could be interesting. Allowing fill-ins for players who needed to get traded and/or walked away peacefully have chances elsewhere. All to be determined(TBD), of course.
The Parting is sweet sorrow portion candidate player pool.
3B/1B - Bobby Dalbec (TBD - Potential potential trade bait)
CF - Jaren Duran (TBD - Potential trade bait)

The Lost Boys (aka Peter Pan division)  - just in case they make their teams elsewhere.
SP(R) - Noah Song
RP - Jacob Wallace (AA)

We could do a hindsight is 20/20 to fill in holes as needed. We'll see. Obvious candidates being Martin Perez, Michael Chavis and Jay Groome.   
Recent Past as needed for fill in types.
OF - Hunter Renfroe
OF - JBJ
3B - Nicholas Northcut
IF - Michael Chavis
SP(L) - Jay Groome
SP(L) - Martin Perez

UPDATED
12/7 - Moved Haniger to the definite lost out on him main list.
12/7 - Moved Strahm to the lost out on list.
12/9 - Added Bogey(sigh) and Tommy Kahnle
12/9 - Added a "Lost Boys" group for the 3 we lost in Rule-5.
12/9 - Added Heaney who we lost to a 20% less offer.
12/12 - cleaned up the player pool lists and added a few that are a stretch to make their new teams next year.
12/16 - Added Vasquez to the team because Bloom created the current catching cluster-f*** by trading him.
12/16 - Added Swanson to the list of free agents we're supposedly chasing.
12/16 - Added Devers to the trade bait list.
12/16 - Added Park to the potential lost boys list. We'll know soon enough.
12/17 - Eric Hosmer DFA'd and added Jacob Wallace to the Lost Boys section.
12/17 - Moved Hoy Park from the Lost Boys team to the MLB team after his trade to Atlanta.
12/17 - Swanson to the big team. 7 years, $177M to the Cubs - seems like a massive bargain.
12/18 - JDM added to the team.
12/18 - Added Justin Turner to the potential Sox currently trying to obtain list. Likely a 1-year DH kind of thing.
12/21 - Removed JT from the potentials list.
12/23 - Changed the team name to the All Rejected & Ejected team.
12/23 - Added a bench/depth squad to fill out a 40-man roster. (Added Hosmer, Downs, Politi, Franchy, Ward, Park)
12/28 - Added Rich Hill and Nathan Eovaldi to the main departed/rejected us team.
1/16   - Added Seabold and Hernandez to the depth squad, removed Devers from the trade bait list.
1/16   - Added Andrus and Profar to the Red Sox chasing after free agent list.
1/24   - Added Josh Taylor to the BP due to trade today.
1/24   - Added Tommy Pham, not that the Sox wanted him. 
1/25   - Added Matt Barnes
2/4     - Added Franklin German, moved Hosmer to the main team.
2/4     - Moved the two Rule-5 guys to the main team as they will be in the big leagues this year.
2/14   - Added Wacha.
2/23   - Added Noah Song. Almost seems surreal that I'm typing this one.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 02, 2022, 09:46:57 AM
Just a little fun as I wallow in my current state of Red Sox misery. OK, so the 'Sox have been hot and heavy into several players including a couple of their own only to fail for various reasons. I thought it would be interesting to created a team out of the players who rejected us after having serious interest in this off-season.

The All Rejected the Red Sox Serious Bidding Team

The known players to make the team.
1B/DH - Jose Abreu
SP/RP - Zach Eflin

TBD - FA
Mitch Haniger

The not known yet candidate player pool.
Lost Despite Best Efforts - TBD
SS - Xander Bogaerts
SP - Nathan Eovaldi

I'm sure we'll not fill an entire roster. There are other elements that could be interesting. Allowing fill-ins for players who needed to get traded and/or walked away peacefully have chances elsewhere. All to be determined(TBD), of course.
The Parting is sweet sorrow portion candidate player pool.
3B/1B - Bobby Dalbec (TBD - Potential potential trade bait)
CF - Jaren Duran (TBD - Potential trade bait)
RP(L) - Darwinzon Hernandez (TBD - Potential trade bait)
SS - Jeter Downs (TBD - He's my dark horse trade bait)
SP - Michael Wacha (TBD)
RP(L) - Strahm (TBD)
SP(L) - Rich Hill (TBD)

We could do a hindsight is 20/20 to fill in holes as needed. We'll see. Obvious candidates being Martin Perez, Michael Chavis and Jay Groome. Maybe include Vazquez if we need a catcher, but it just seems too soon for me.

WE REALLY HAVE BECOME A  PATHETIC ORGANIZATION, HAVEN'T ME MONGO?  I wonder if we will wind up signing nobody except a bunch of over the hill bums/

longgame

You struck gold I think inadvertently Mongo.  You said “I’m sure we won’t fill an entire roster.”  I’m afraid that once again Chaim will not fill an entire roster, leaving positions like top of the rotation starter, closer, SS, OF power hitter, unfilled.

Sea Dog 23

There’s a couple musings that Bloom is checking in with a lot of teams for an OF trade in exchange for some of our prospects and Duran/Dalbek/all those AAAA players he’s stockpiling.  Haniger may have priced himself out of (Boston’s) the market. There is a glut of deadwood on the 40 man.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 03, 2022, 10:28:45 AM
There’s a couple musings that Bloom is checking in with a lot of teams for an OF trade in exchange for some of our prospects and Duran/Dalbek/all those AAAA players he’s stockpiling.  Haniger may have priced himself out of (Boston’s) the market. There is a glut of deadwood on the 40 man.

What's this nonsense about "pricing himself out of Boston's market?  The Red Sox have always been a big market team; why in the last few years have they become a bunch of tight wad turds?  No excuse for that.  Save for the Yankees and Dodgers, we shouldn't get priced out of any players we need for our team.  How pathetic.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on December 03, 2022, 12:13:49 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 03, 2022, 10:28:45 AM

What's this nonsense about "pricing himself out of Boston's market?  The Red Sox have always been a big market team; why in the last few years have they become a bunch of tight wad turds?  No excuse for that.  Save for the Yankees and Dodgers, we shouldn't get priced out of any players we need for our team.  How pathetic.

It looks like any team signing Haniger is wary of his missing 270 games last 3-4 years to injury. He was non-tendered by Mariners. He could be a Chris Sale on a bicycle or a skateboard.  Maybe he will plateau the injury bug this year.  But there arent many RH outfielders on the market

A trade that’s been talked about is getting the Pirates’ all-star outfielder, Bryan Reynolds. It will take good prospects from us as he’s under 3 years control.  27 homers and 62 RBI’s in ‘22.  In ‘21 he had 8 triples.

MongoLikeSox

There are two big trade bait players being talked about by the MLB/National press. 3 years each control on Reynolds and the Catcher from Oakland, Murphy. The Murphy deal has a "source" indicating that a deal might be close, but no idea who's dancing with them. Typical lack of early Winter Meetings action in recent years desperation story sounds more like it, to me at least.

The other team that's been talked about is Miami and their young pitchers. They are said to be hunting for a big-name CF'er. Cherington/Boston connections not withstanding, seems like Pittsburgh might be better served looking in that direction. Proven arms instead of our unproven arms.

MongoLikeSox

I made a small change to the original post to move Haniger into the main list as he just signed with the Giants for 3 years, $43.5M.

In other thread related activity. "sources" suggest Strahm is close to signing with the Phillies. No clue at all if we even went after him, or if he was sticking to his starting pitcher opportunity desire.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 07, 2022, 06:30:07 AM
I made a small change to the original post to move Haniger into the main list as he just signed with the Giants for 3 years, $43.5M.

In other thread related activity. "sources" suggest Strahm is close to signing with the Phillies. No clue at all if we even went after him, or if he was sticking to his starting pitcher opportunity desire.

I saw Strahm signing with the Phillies last night.  Another reliever gone by the way side.  Bloom is getting another massage as the other GMs told him the meetings start tomorrow.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on December 07, 2022, 07:38:26 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 07, 2022, 06:30:07 AM

I saw Strahm signing with the Phillies last night.  Another reliever gone by the way side.  Bloom is getting another massage as the other GMs told him the meetings start tomorrow.
Actually, I think Bloom is giving massages, not getting one. His fellow GMs are complaining because the cheap oils that Bloom uses.....

I just added Strahm to the lost out on list list.

MongoLikeSox

I added Vasquez to the team. I had to add a catcher. Lots of talk about Murphy, but the Braves paid a steeper price than numb-nuts would have ever been able to stomach. Not sure I can blame him in this case. The bigger reason is that Bloom obviously had plans that came to naught regarding the catching position when he ditched Vasquez. I doubt they made a serious bid for Murphy or even Contreras.

Quite a few other names added and shifted around. Up to 8 players. Could have been more had I been paying much attention the past few days. I'm not sure who we made serious overtures to on both the FA and Trade fronts.

What a clown. This would be funny to watch if it was the Yankees doing this.

Sea Dog 23

Mongo, while nobody else was paying attention, Bloomer was busy doing Manfred a favor - his brilliant work to reinvent the way free agency should operate.  That would be an economical approach with high AAV over short term deals.  The problem, nobody else was paying attention to our three ring circus.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 16, 2022, 08:17:32 AM
Mongo, while nobody else was paying attention, Bloomer was busy doing Manfred a favor - his brilliant work to reinvent the way free agency should operate.  That would be an economical approach with high AAV over short term deals.  The problem, nobody else was paying attention to our three ring circus.
I would caution you to look at the entire body of the transactions rather than judge them in their own individual silo's.
Boo-wa ha ha ha ha!!!  I am SO KIDDING!!!  :)

elktonnick

I wonder what Bloom garage looks like.  Bet one can't fit a car in it because it is so full of useless stuff.

SeaBeachFred

I gets sadder and more frustrating to keep hearing more and more fluff pieces from the Red Sox front office which we all know by now is more and more bullshit.  The Farm system has gone backwards the past two seasons.  The "prospects" are not improving and some are regressing, the trades Blomer Girl has made have been disastrous, and we are now even weaker than last year.  I don't have to ask if any of you see a pattern her because I would be insulting all of my colleagues here if I was.  Bloom has become a comic figure, is devoid of j udging baseball talent and we are not going to do make that change as long as that malfeasance continues in the organization

They could do two things that would make all of us shut up post haste.......Sign Dansby Swanson to a big FA contract.  But we won't and we all know that.  Then sign Rafael Devers to a gigantic new long term contract.  That won't happen ei ther.  Simply put again and again....john henry is a cheap bastard and does not want to spend money on his team anymore.    DEVERS IS AS GOOD AS GONE AND ANYONE WHO BUYS TICKETS TO SEE THIS 2023 SHIT SHOW HASN'T AN OUNCE OF GRAY MATTER IN HIS BRAIN.