Main Menu

Trea Turner

Started by Sea Dog 23, November 30, 2022, 10:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Morosi saying Turner desiring an east coast team.  Phillies have some advantages.  They want a better SS.  Turner wants to play Spring training with a Florida team.  Also Bryce Harper is a good friend.  All that may help Boston for Bogey with one less suitor.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on November 30, 2022, 10:33:10 AM
Morosi saying Turner desiring an east coast team.  Phillies have some advantages.  They want a better SS.  Turner wants to play Spring training with a Florida team.  Also Bryce Harper is a good friend.  All that may help Boston for Bogey with one less suitor.

Except unlike you Bogaerts is the one FA shortstop I DO NOT WANT!!!!!!  What so many of my colleagues here and elsewhere have not understood is that Xander is one of the worst clutch hitters late in a gamed that I have seen since Paul Mondesi plied his excellence in that role for the Dodgers, Blue Jays and Yankees.  Yes, he gets his hits, has a good BA and does get some key hits early in the game when the pressure is light but late in a games he mostly squirms and moves endlessly at the plate and almost always fails to get that big hit.  As for his fielding he is just barely adequate.  His power is down and his arm is barely adequate at best.  Besides, a long contract from us will block our best prospect Marcelo Mayer in three years.  And please don't tell me Bogaerts can switch to third base.  His reflexes, arm and declining power would make him barely adequate at best.  As you can surmise I DO NOT WANT HIM BACK IN A R ED SOX UNIFORM.  We can do better and must.

Sea Dog 23

Fred, you may get your wish.  Peter Gammons reported Bogey has cut ties with the Sox. Whatever his value as a SS in Boston,  the PR of losing one of your icons - again - says to other free agents, ‘something stinks in Boston’, and Bloom loses any credibility he had as a negotiator, if he had anything left.

elktonnick

This if true is so typical.  Henry has managed to alienate virtually everyone the last few years.  Bloom is merely his tool. He too will soon realize that Henry eventually fires everybody.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on November 30, 2022, 10:55:47 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on November 30, 2022, 10:33:10 AM

Except unlike you Bogaerts is the one FA shortstop I DO NOT WANT!!!!!!  What so many of my colleagues here and elsewhere have not understood is that Xander is one of the worst clutch hitters late in a gamed that I have seen since Paul Mondesi plied his excellence in that role for the Dodgers, Blue Jays and Yankees.  Yes, he gets his hits, has a good BA and does get some key hits early in the game when the pressure is light but late in a games he mostly squirms and moves endlessly at the plate and almost always fails to get that big hit.  As for his fielding he is just barely adequate.  His power is down and his arm is barely adequate at best.  Besides, a long contract from us will block our best prospect Marcelo Mayer in three years.  And please don't tell me Bogaerts can switch to third base.  His reflexes, arm and declining power would make him barely adequate at best.  As you can surmise I DO NOT WANT HIM BACK IN A R ED SOX UNIFORM.  We can do better and must.

Bogey is 14th in the AL in BA in Late and Close situations.  Not too bad and the highest on the Sox.  Interestingly Turner is best in the NL at 100 points higher!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on November 30, 2022, 02:38:44 PM
Fred, you may get your wish.  Peter Gammons reported Bogey has cut ties with the Sox. Whatever his value as a SS in Boston,  the PR of losing one of your icons - again - says to other free agents, ‘something stinks in Boston’, and Bloom loses any credibility he had as a negotiator, if he had anything left.

I still think he may wind up back with us Sea Dog.  His agent Boras is reading the tea leaves and his demand for a big contract has turned many teams off and Scott may come back hat in hand to get the R ed Sox to take him back.  I will believe Bogie is gone when I see it.  Since the Sox are determined not to spend too lavishly I think Dansby Swanson would be ideal for us. HE DRIVES IN RUNS AND HITS IN THE CLUTCH and is still a very good fielder.  The Braves have pretty much backed out of signing him to a new contract since they have a ready replacement in Grissum who has great tools.  Of course, we may be  faced with the  the usuall nonsense summed up in one word when all is said and done.....OUTBID!!!!!

Sea Dog 23

In the bidding wars, Sox lost a SP to the Rays. Zach Eflin.  He came out of the BP for the P hillies in the WS.  It turns out Sox submitted their offer , and Tampa got the last look and matched it.  Hes a Florida resident. It's the biggest FA contract in Rays history.  A modest 3/$40 m.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 02, 2022, 06:36:51 AM
In the bidding wars, Sox lost a SP to the Rays. Zach Eflin.  He came out of the BP for the P hillies in the WS.  It turns out Sox submitted their offer , and Tampa got the last look and matched it.  Hes a Florida resident. It's the biggest FA contract in Rays history.  A modest 3/$40 m.

I just commented on this on another thread.  You've got the story right.  Bloom and the Sox got played.  Again. 

longgame

Posted on the other thread, but Turner to Phillies, 11 years and $300M+.  Turner is 29, Bogey is 30.  They have very similar numbers although Turner has more speed.  Turner averages far fewer games per year than Bogey, about 25.    Turner has more speed which allows him some more triples while Bogey has more doubles.  Turner is .302 vs. .202 BA for Bogey.  WAR last year was 5.8 for Bogey, 4.9 for Turner.  Turner is a plus defender, Bogey is average.  Bogey certainly has intangibles, a leader, 10 years with the club, can perform in Boston.

I think someone gives Bogey 8/$250MM but he may now hold out for more years. 

Sea Dog 23

Another FA Sox were outbid for (by NYY). Not a big loss on paper, he did not pitch in 2021and only 26 innings in LA last year.  But this only shows that Bloom has no idea what the market is.  I think he understands 2022 player value, but he is missing “market value. How he is bidding for Bogey could be way off the numbers to be bid.

The Abreu deal, Sox bid 18% under Houston’s contract deal(some debate those numbers)  In the Kahnle deal, winning bid was 2/$11.5.  A small deal, but as hard as we pressed for him, we were off on the numbers. Not a big fish, but wasting valuable time nonetheless less.

Sea Dog 23

This signing by the Cardinals of the Cubs catcher (5/$87.5m) is an indirect look at the Sox interest in their catching position.   I think they looked at him for a power bat, but it ended.  Some talk of trading for Rays Zino.  Some talking to Vazquez' agent.  But more for that agent's other two catchers.

Vaz is expected to sign with Brewers.  What a tangled web, again.

Sea Dog 23

The Padres offering astronomical money this off-season were preparing a deal for Aaron Judge. 14/$400m. It was even beyond the CBT balance of MLB.

MLB vetoing a record-breaking contract would’ve made for a fascinating story. The league’s justification for doing so would’ve been the contract length was an artificial means for the team of working around the competitive balance tax. A team’s luxury tax number is calculated by adding the average annual values of their commitments (plus player benefits and teams’ contributions to the pre-arbitration bonus pool). The luxury tax hit of any contract is evenly dispersed over the course of the deal regardless of the actual payout of the salaries or bonuses.

If we assume the Padres’ prepared offer was for exactly $400MM over 14 years, the deal would’ve come with an AAV around $28.57MM. That’s true no matter if the money were evenly distributed, frontloaded or backloaded. A $400MM guarantee would have handily topped the $365MM Mookie Betts received on his Dodgers extension and the $360MM in new money on the Mike Trout deal, establishing itself as the largest guarantee in MLB history