Blooms moves or lack thereof

Started by elktonnick, November 27, 2022, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Just when the hell is Story going to get his ass and body in shape and start contributing to the team.  It will now be two for two----his first two seasons of six supposed seasons for us when he is mostly on the shelf.  Pathetic!!!!!

Sea Dog 23

One outcome from the Story story, is that the Bloom reluctance to conduct an aggressive off-season to improve the field players is now exposed.  He finally got the ball rolling last two weeks by adding Turner and extending Devers.  However losing all those field players last year and slow to replace  them puts him in a hole with what few impact players are still in the market.

The trade partners and free agents probably sense his desperation.  .  The cost to value ratio on what we can get now is a big puzzle. One idea I read  is to go ahead and play more prospects this year for experience.  Gambling on the health of Sale/Paxson/Story might be too risky for one season that we’re not very likely  to compete for a wild card or finish competitively with what we can put on the field.

longgame

Bloom and the "brain trust" spinning hard right now.  They've claimed they want to contend every year, even though they finished in last place and then let the team get worse.  Werner actually said  “We believe in our roster but I know that Chaim intends to improve it.”  I mean come on, we are baseball fans, we can see who is on the team.  There's no reason to think this is a winning team. 

Quote“One more thing I actually want to say, really, to our fans,” Bloom told reporters, as seen on NESN. “You know, loving your favorite team has great moments. It’s not always easy. And I know we’ve had some ups and downs, certainly in the last few years, and I know y’all are smart and you knew there would be ups and downs with where we stood and some of the things that we were going to have to go through.

“And you’ve been with us the whole way. When we’ve celebrated, you’ve celebrated with us. When we’ve hurt, you’ve hurt. And we know that. And we feel it. So I’m hoping today, when you think about what we always talked about and where we’re going and this vision of a Red Sox organization that every year is consistently contending for championships, I’m hoping that vision is a little clearer for you today, knowing that this guy is going to be right at the middle of it, what we’re going to do around him.”

“And you know it’s not always linear. It’s not always easy. We’ve taken a couple haymakers. You know what? We’re probably going to take a couple more. This is baseball. It’s not supposed to be easy. But I want to be clear: We’re going to do this. It’s going to be awesome. And we are going to get there and just want to thank all you for your support and hope it’s a little clearer today.”

Sea Dog 23

A day after losing their SS, sources say Red Sox have contacted free-agent CF Adam Duvall, former Braves and Reds. However he only played 86 games in ‘22 with 12 homers.

“If Boston were to go this route then Duvall likely would pencil in as the everyday centerfielder -- or split time with Jarren Duran -- while Hernandez moved to shortstop. Boston then would likely have Christian Arroyo serve as the team's second baseman or it would bring in a new one while the team waited for Story to return to the field. “

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on January 11, 2023, 12:54:16 PM
Bloom and the "brain trust" spinning hard right now.  They've claimed they want to contend every year, even though they finished in last place and then let the team get worse.  Werner actually said  “We believe in our roster but I know that Chaim intends to improve it.”  I mean come on, we are baseball fans, we can see who is on the team.  There's no reason to think this is a winning team. 

Quote“One more thing I actually want to say, really, to our fans,” Bloom told reporters, as seen on NESN. “You know, loving your favorite team has great moments. It’s not always easy. And I know we’ve had some ups and downs, certainly in the last few years, and I know y’all are smart and you knew there would be ups and downs with where we stood and some of the things that we were going to have to go through.

“And you’ve been with us the whole way. When we’ve celebrated, you’ve celebrated with us. When we’ve hurt, you’ve hurt. And we know that. And we feel it. So I’m hoping today, when you think about what we always talked about and where we’re going and this vision of a Red Sox organization that every year is consistently contending for championships, I’m hoping that vision is a little clearer for you today, knowing that this guy is going to be right at the middle of it, what we’re going to do around him.”

“And you know it’s not always linear. It’s not always easy. We’ve taken a couple haymakers. You know what? We’re probably going to take a couple more. This is baseball. It’s not supposed to be easy. But I want to be clear: We’re going to do this. It’s going to be awesome. And we are going to get there and just want to thank all you for your support and hope it’s a little clearer today.”

Werner was talking to the pink hats, pollyannas and boot lickers that will swallow anything Prune Face and this shithead Werner can throw at them.  Some of here Ted know a lot better what a bunch of losers we now have running the team.

elktonnick

After letting lying Sam Kennedy carry the water for the last year, Tom Werner now comes out of his burrow looks around and makes his typical nonsensical statement which absolutely no one believes.  Henry and Werner now realize that their parsimony is affecting the long term value of the franchise.  Words aren't going to work only actions.

Sea Dog 23

I’m listening to WEEI Christian Fauria / Art Camp on the 5:00 show, and they’re playing Werner’s and Bloom’s statements “…. we’ve taken some haymakers but we’re going to be awesome.”  They (WEEI) are in agreement that the Bloom experiment isn’t working,  followed by “everything Chaim touches turns to garbage.” 

I think he will part ways with the Sox end of year, MGT will make him the sacrificial lamb.  Tough times ahead.

MongoLikeSox

First off...
Quote from: elktonnick on January 10, 2023, 03:35:58 PM
For what its worth, Bloom clearly did not do his due diligence on Story when he signed him last year.
Indeed!

There is a different version, and even a second different version. The one we are supposed to accept is the one where we hang our heads in sorrow for Trever Story's just awful luck. And then poor Chaim. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Could have happened to anyone. Gosh darn, and gee willickers! Yeah, no. Not going there.

I take solace in a pretend world where Henry knew that this was going down and found out just an hour or so before being booed in his own ballpark. Well, no, I take that back. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Can you imagine, though? Yikes!

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on January 11, 2023, 02:26:57 PM
A day after losing their SS, sources say Red Sox have contacted free-agent CF Adam Duvall, former Braves and Reds. However he only played 86 games in ‘22 with 12 homers.

“If Boston were to go this route then Duvall likely would pencil in as the everyday centerfielder -- or split time with Jarren Duran -- while Hernandez moved to shortstop. Boston then would likely have Christian Arroyo serve as the team's second baseman or it would bring in a new one while the team waited for Story to return to the field. “

Wow, couldn't get much worse than Duvall.  Negative DWAR last year.  Projected to hit about .235.  Strikes out a third of the time.  So if he platooned with Duran we probably couldn't tell the difference except he'll K more.  I wonder if he chases down fly balls or just lets them roll around the outfield like Duran?

Sea Dog 23

Some house cleaning by Bllom.

Signed a former Yankee OF, Greg Allen to a minor league deal.

Completed a trade with Balti. for Darwinzon in return for cash.

Official announcement of Corey Kluber.  To make room, they DFAd Connor Seabold.

Sea Dog 23

Looks like Bloom has been on the phone this week.  Rumblings about that he’s been talking up a two-year deal wit OF Adam Duval.  Not a signed deal yet.  In his years at Atlanta when he played RF/LF his avg was .238 and .233. When asked to play CF, the mix was not as good, a dip to .204.  If this deal is finalized, it would seem Duval goes to CF and Kike’ would be the SS.

Last year in Atlanta Duval broke a bone in his hand and was limited to 86 games (in CF about half) batting .215 and hit 12 homers.  Not sure how this pans out. Duval gives some Renfroe like pop, but his OBP is scary.  If it looks like fitting a puzzle together on the field to get another bat in the lineup, my football-loving wife could probably devise a better plan.

OPS last four years is telling,
2019 117
2020 114
2021 99
2022 87

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on January 17, 2023, 01:24:34 PM
Looks like Bloom has been on the phone this week.  Rumblings about that he’s been talking up a two-year deal wit OF Adam Duval.  Not a signed deal yet.  In his years at Atlanta when he played RF/LF his avg was .238 and .233. When asked to play CF, the mix was not as good, a dip to .204.  If this deal is finalized, it would seem Duval goes to CF and Kike’ would be the SS.

Last year in Miami Duval broke a bone in his hand and was limited to 86 games (in CF about half) batting .215 and hit 12 homers.  Not sure how this pans out. Duval gives some Renfroe like pop, but his OBP is scary.  If it looks like fitting a puzzle together on the field to get another bat in the lineup, my football-loving wife could probably devise a better plan.

OPS last four years is telling,
2019 117
2020 114
2021 99
2022 87

His Strikeout rate has been over 30% the last few years too.  Need to hit a lot of homers and RBI to get past that kind of rate.  In the time Schwarber was with the Sox he struck out 23% of the time but he's a high 20's guy as a comparison.  But when you don't plan for stuff or actually try to build a team this is what you end up with. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on January 12, 2023, 08:42:03 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on January 11, 2023, 02:26:57 PM

Wow, couldn't get much worse than Duvall.  Negative DWAR last year.  Projected to hit about .235.  Strikes out a third of the time.  So if he platooned with Duran we probably couldn't tell the difference except he'll K more.  I wonder if he chases down fly balls or just lets them roll around the outfield like Duran?

Believe it or not Ted we could do worse than Duvall and have already done it.  Why the hell did we sign Alfaro to anything?  The guy is an overstuffed fat slob who can no longer throw, his power has wilted and the Padres couldn't rid themselves of him fast enough.  My God, how much longer do we have to suffer fools like Bloom.  He is shit warmed over as a baseball man and if we don't get rid of him very soon he will start trading away our better prospects or his versatile types that he loves so much. Please Prune Face, do one thing right and very soon.  Get rid of Bloom...PPPPUUUULLLLLEEEEZZZZZEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Sea Dog 23

Two sources that there is a deal.  Not a sure game changer, but at least the Mets and Yanks were pushing to get Duvall this week.  There is room within the LTT for a SS and P,  Maybe not a Schwarber signing, but a little better than a Pham. 

Free Agent Outfielder Adam Duvall is in agreement with the Boston Red Sox. The deal is 1 year $7 million Dollars. Performance bonuses could get the deal up to $10 million dollars per source.

MongoLikeSox

Well, he was a Gold Glove winner in 2021. That's gotta account for something. He led the league in RBI despite almost 2/3 that time with the Marlins and that massive K-rate. He's topped or come close to the 100 RBI mark in 4 of 7 seasons, including a pro-rated 2020. His other three seasons had injuries. Does NOT ground into a ton of DPs. He's only one injury year removed from two good seasons. 

Bloom has taken some wild fliers in the past, but this one might be on par with a Renfroe signing, minus the youth and control that was eventually wasted.

Only one problem. He doesn't fit anywhere. We've got corner OF'ers. He's appeared in CF 75 times in his big league career, but 44 of those were last year. I have no idea how he did out there. Perhaps it will work out. Fenway park aside, CF is easier for some guys.

I'd still rather have an accomplished SS than Kike.

(edit - I left the word "not" out of the the "he does not ground into a ton of DPs.)