Blooms moves or lack thereof

Started by elktonnick, November 27, 2022, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

There are some Twitter gems going on from our #4 Cedenne Raphaela today.  Those folks who read the tea leaves in these postings think that the deal with the Marlins is close.  Raphaela and Houck (and/or Lugo?) for a pitcher (Lopez or Rogers?) and one of their middle INF.

Cut to the chase, Bloom has been chatting with Marlins since early December.  I don’t think he would still be wasting all that time over nothing.  Sorry for the cryptic, but things appear to be developing fast this week.  Also an article today on Yahoo, although they have apparently subbed Raphaela in place of giving up Casas, which would create another hole in the lineup.

//yahoo sports story - Bowden

longgame

Here's a related story but mentions only Casas, not Raphaela.  https://www.nbcboston.com/news/sports/nbcsports/report-red-sox-working-on-potential-trades-with-marlins/2936720/

This mentions Lopez and Rogers so certainly they'd need more than just one guy. 

MongoLikeSox

I still think the singular easiest thing to do with the 2B/SS/CF situation is Iglesias. Rojas makes the same $$. Might be better than Iglesias defensively right now, but I'm only basing that on Rojas being a GG finalist last season. Other than that possibility, Iglesias just screams "fit".

Any pitcher taken from Miami would have to be scrutinized in term of pitchers' ball park being their home park. Fair statement, right? Same exact 3.87 ERA home or away. Gotta love stats.

Trading either Casas or Rafaela now is not selling high. Casas looks good while batting sub-200. Spend the $25 extra on MiLB-TV next season and watch Rafaela play CF in between Red Sox innings. It's worth it just for that. Aside from rookie oooopsies, both are ready defensively.

The fish don't need any of our pitching. The guy the Marlins should ask for as a pot sweetener is Bobby Dalbec. It's be an upgrade for them and low on $$. We might get an OK BP arm for him as it stands, but that's about it. We don't have anything MLB ready that the Marlins could use.

elktonnick

Personally I am not sold that Casas is major league ready.  This year will be a big test for him.  To me picking up Iggy is a no brainer.

MongoLikeSox

Turner is official. They DFA'd Darwinson to make room. Not a huge surprise.

MongoLikeSox

Check out the trade that Dombrowski just pulled off.
https://www.mlb.com/news/gregory-soto-trade-to-phillies
He gets Detroit's closer (Gregory Soto), a lefty with 30 saves in 33 attempts with a 3.28 ERA for 3 role players including their almost 27 year old Catcher ranked 21st in the Phillies system.

Not saying he'd be a big time AL East closer, but still a valuable arm for 3 players that wouldn't scare anyone. One of them had a -.6 WAR.

elktonnick

The difference between Dombrowski and Bloom.is the latter makes trades that makes the team "efficient" whereas Dombrowski makes trades to make his teams winners.

Sea Dog 23

Yep, Bloom is dabbling with some trade partners. The Sox have three outfielders who are singles-doubles hitters. Bloom passed on the heavy hitters this year. We’re still searching for INF and pitching.

There were so many holes, it will probably take another off-season and maturing on the farm to fix it all,

MongoLikeSox

More Dombrowski (Trader Joe) trade news. He trades a #7 pitching prospect for a guy who split AAA/MLB last year, tossing a 5.44 ERA. He's got a 97.8 MPH fastball with lots of walks and surprisingly smallish K rates. Dombrowski always did have a huge set of 'nads when it came to trades. This is a guy who may not even make the team our of Spring Training, though I'm betting he has options left.

Sea Dog 23

A couple scribes think the puzzle for the next Sox move is taking shape. Marlins picked up P Johnny Cueto.  The glut on their staff might free up RH Pablo Lopez to Sox for one or two of Casas/Raphaela/Dalbec/Duran. 

A smart exec would say ‘no dice’, but Bloom may have to solve the question marks on the Boston staff.  Or maybe Bloom is waiting for fruit to just fall out of the tree.

elktonnick

Understand Story will have tj surgery. Will not start Opening  Day. 

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on January 10, 2023, 02:30:21 PM

Wow.  This guy can’t get on the field.  Will this force another much needed move?

longgame

Just saw it’s a modified TJ procedure with 4 to 6 months recovery time, so best case he’s mid season.  With the crack Sox training staff on it, they’ll make sure he’s out for the season.

elktonnick

For what its worth, Bloom clearly did not do his due diligence on Story when he signed him last year.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on January 10, 2023, 03:31:41 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on January 10, 2023, 02:30:21 PM

Wow.  This guy can’t get on the field.  Will this force another much needed move?

The report I saw was “UCL bracing on the elbow”.  One estimate is 6+ months recovery.  Which means we’ll be jerryrigging our infield up to the all-star break.  Unless Bloom provides a miracle player,  I see Kike’ moving to SS and a AAAA player doing CF.  Not a good fox for sure