Blooms moves or lack thereof

Started by elktonnick, November 27, 2022, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 21, 2022, 07:30:03 AM
According to Eovaldi, speculation around the camp fire is that Nasty Nate will end up re-signing with the 'Sox. No clue who those people are, of course, they said "“pretty good confidence on the part of a lot of people in baseball” that Eovaldi will ultimately re-sign with the Red Sox."  So who knows. This is part of the machine that had Bogey all but re-signed with the 'Sox only to find out the Sox didn't ever try.

And in non-Sox news, disagreement with the Giants over the physical made Correa and Bora$ sign up with the Mets. The physicak cost 1 year. The Giants' deal was 13 years, $350, but the Mets' deal is 12-years, $315M.    AAV drops from $26.9M to $26.2M.

Eovaldi will go where the money is.  He has no loyalty he owes the Red Sox, especially after the way they dissed Bogaerts and how Prune Face has dismantled what was once the best team in baseball.  If Nathan does sign with us I'll believe it when I see it and don't think I will.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on December 21, 2022, 11:43:17 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 21, 2022, 07:30:03 AM
According to Eovaldi, speculation around the camp fire is that Nasty Nate will end up re-signing with the 'Sox. No clue who those people are, of course, they said "“pretty good confidence on the part of a lot of people in baseball” that Eovaldi will ultimately re-sign with the Red Sox."  So who knows. This is part of the machine that had Bogey all but re-signed with the 'Sox only to find out the Sox didn't ever try.

And in non-Sox news, disagreement with the Giants over the physical made Correa and Bora$ sign up with the Mets. The physicak cost 1 year. The Giants' deal was 13 years, $350, but the Mets' deal is 12-years, $315M.    AAV drops from $26.9M to $26.2M.

Eovaldi will go where the money is.  He has no loyalty he owes the Red Sox, especially after the way they dissed Bogaerts and how Prune Face has dismantled what was once the best team in baseball.  If Nathan does sign with us I'll believe it when I see it and don't think I will.
I totally screwed up what I wrote. It was supposed to be, "On Eovaldi, according to MLB.com, ..."  .

I hear ya, though. Here's to hoping he likes Boston?  :) 

MongoLikeSox

Seems the Sox are not amongst the teams in on Eovaldi. At least according to someone on MLB.com who was quoting a member of the Boston press.

My wife did end up getting me one Red Sox t-shirt for Christmas, but it was understandable.

longgame

Hopefully that shirt becomes a collector’s item soon!

longgame

Sox are interested in dealing Sale although not actively trying to move them.  Not sure if it was Chaim or another one in the clown car that said they were dealing from a position of strength with respect to starters.  I’m guessing because they could trade anyone of them and it wouldn’t matter to the outcome of this team next year. 

elktonnick

That is yet another example of the utter nonsense that eminates from the Red Sox Front Office on a regular basis.  From.what I am hearing no one in Boston believes anything that Kennedy or Bloom has to say.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on December 27, 2022, 07:13:56 PM
That is yet another example of the utter nonsense that eminates from the Red Sox Front Office on a regular basis.  From.what I am hearing no one in Boston believes anything that Kennedy or Bloom has to say.

I think it was Maserotti, who wrote last week. The Red Sox front office aren’t stupid, but they think you the fans are.”

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on December 27, 2022, 07:13:56 PM

They both have lose their credibility and are two of the most incompetent baboons in baseball and I now believe that Prune Face must put the team up for sale.  He along with Bloomer Butt have turned our club into a laughing stock.  A pox on both of them.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on December 27, 2022, 06:44:13 PM
Sox are interested in dealing Sale although not actively trying to move them.  Not sure if it was Chaim or another one in the clown car that said they were dealing from a position of strength with respect to starters.  I’m guessing because they could trade anyone of them and it wouldn’t matter to the outcome of this team next year.
Now that's funny.

Yeah, Bloomer hisbadself stated that the Red Sox starting depth is a position of strength. It's the rest of the rotation he should be worried about.

Sea Dog 23

Looking at the math, the Sox are not going to fork out $17 mil for a SP.  They are obviously not going over the LTT this year.  With about $20 mil left, they are shooting for a $10mil pitcher, with $7-8 for a utility INF like Andrus/Iglesias. 

By going over the tax line last year in the Pham deal, they suffer the consequences this year.  The QO gift from losing Bogey and Eovaldi would have been 2nd and 3rd round supplemental draft picks.  Because of the Pham deal, those are now a 4th and 5th round picks, plus loss of $1 mil in international bonuses.  Now that does not sound like big finances, but for a team being run like the Tigers and Royals this year, those are big losses.  Bloomer's game is discarding front line players for prospects as well as gains through the draft.  This year his model has blown up in his face.  What were some crafty Billy Beane type moves two years ago, have turned into what you would expect from a stock broker selling low and forced to buy high and keep a smile on his face.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 28, 2022, 09:08:18 AM
Looking at the math, the Sox are not going to fork out $17 mil for a SP.  They are obviously not going over the LTT this year.  With about $20 mil left, they are shooting for a $10mil pitcher, with $7-8 for a utility INF like Andrus/Iglesias. 

By going over the tax line last year in the Pham deal, they suffer the consequences this year.  The QO gift from losing Bogey and Eovaldi would have been 2nd and 3rd round supplemental draft picks.  Because of the Pham deal, those are now a 4th and 5th round picks, plus loss of $1 mil in international bonuses.  Now that does not sound like big finances, but for a team being run like the Tigers and Royals this year, those are big losses.  Bloomer's game is discarding front line players for prospects as well as gains through the draft.  This year his model has blown up in his face.  What were some crafty Billy Beane type moves two years ago, have turned into what you would expect from a stock broker selling low and forced to buy high and keep a smile on his face.
I was just pointing out in another thread the work that the Brewers' GM has done this off-season.

I very much suspect Bloom screwed something up that we don't know about during last years' trade deadline fiasco. Full ownership support to go over the luxury tax threshold with that set of moves is not cutting it for me. I'm willing to bet that Bloomer got fleeced by a team that swooped up his targeted prize during the last few hours of the trade deadline and left him/them/us holding the bill on some serious salary. I have recently suspected it was JDM and the Dodgers, but mostly I thought it could have been Eovaldi and his delay getting back to the mound coupled with somewhat lower than hoped for velocity. Maybe Wacha, too, but I don't recall his ride back from the IL. They tried too hard to sell this as a planned upgrade set of moves after the deadline had passed, which included a full day of dealing done AFTER Blooms' little speech advising us to wait to see the whole puzzle before rushing to judgement. That puzzle never got assembled, and ownership seized to only silver lining they could grasp stating that they were in full support of Blooms' moves, including going over the threshold.

Or maybe I'm bitter. 

elktonnick

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 28, 2022, 09:50:05 AM

I was just pointing out in another thread the work that the Brewers' GM has done this off-season.

I very much suspect Bloom screwed something up that we don't know about during last years' trade deadline fiasco. Full ownership support to go over the luxury tax threshold with that set of moves is not cutting it for me. I'm willing to bet that Bloomer got fleeced by a team that swooped up his targeted prize during the last few hours of the trade deadline and left him/them/us holding the bill on some serious salary. I have recently suspected it was JDM and the Dodgers, but mostly I thought it could have been Eovaldi and his delay getting back to the mound coupled with somewhat lower than hoped for velocity. Maybe Wacha, too, but I don't recall his ride back from the IL. They tried too hard to sell this as a planned upgrade set of moves after the deadline had passed, which included a full day of dealing done AFTER Blooms' little speech advising us to wait to see the whole puzzle before rushing to judgement. That puzzle never got assembled, and ownership seized to only silver lining they could grasp stating that they were in full support of Blooms' moves, including going over the threshold.

Or maybe I'm bitter.

Mongo there are those within the front office thar are apparently critical of Blloom for his dilly dallying  decision making.  I suspect you are correct in your suspicions.  Bloom's front office critics obviously have some basis for their criticisms.  After all a classics degree from Yale isn't the best preparation for making sound quick decisions.  After all no one in that field is waiting for Plato or Aristoles newest book to be published.

Sea Dog 23

One report says Corey Kluber and Red Sox are in agreement on a 1-year deal at $10m. with a club option for 2024. They had been talking to him on and off for several weeks.

Kluber, 36, is a two-time Cy Young Award winner whose strikeout-to-walk ratio was the second best in the American League last year as he punched out 139 and issued 21 free passes in 164 innings for the Tampa Bay Rays. In his prime a great fast ball was his out pitch.  Lately he only throws the FB 45% of the time and relies more on his cutter.

Against the ALE he does have Pivetta problemsâ€"  Facing the Yankees, Orioles, and Blue Jays last season, Kluber had a 5.03 ERA with 43 strikeouts, 14 walks, and 4 HR allowed in 59 innings.

longgame

I guess it's an okay move.  Bloom likes his misfit toys, that's for sure.  Pretty grizzled rotation of Sale, Kluber and Paxton but a lot of upside, just don't know how high the chance is of that upside showing itself. 

SeaBeachFred

The guy in charge of putting our team together is a total misfit for running a baseball team.  First of all he is a horse dung judge of talent and, secondly, he is always being constantly outbid for players even of a second value.  To me Chaim S.B. Bloom has been a total and complete failure on a scale bordering on criminal for what he has done to our team.  I'll let all my friends out there figure out what S.B. stands for.