Blooms moves or lack thereof

Started by elktonnick, November 27, 2022, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: elktonnick on December 17, 2022, 08:24:41 AM
The fundamental question is this any better than last years team
  Quick answer is nope.  The secondary question is whether Bloom has laid the foundation for this team to be consistently competitive long term.  Answer is nope.  The reality is the farm system does not look any better than it did under Dombrowski.  It has yet to produce any position player who can play solid ball at the ml level.
I agree. I don't even think last years' team improved at the deadline despite some writers suggesting we marginally improved. This off-season is a disaster.

MongoLikeSox

Atlanta pulled a Bloom and traded for Hoy Park after being DFA'd. We get a player to be severely depressed named later.

longgame

Looking at last year, I think we can see a pattern.  Don’t spend on a big talent, wait to see who nobody else signed a couple of weeks in to ST, then over pay them.  They get even more points if currently injured.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on December 17, 2022, 07:13:13 PM
Looking at last year, I think we can see a pattern.  Don’t spend on a big talent, wait to see who nobody else signed a couple of weeks in to ST, then over pay them.  They get even more points if currently injured.

Said player gets a $2mil bonus if he is a switch hitter, can play catcher or SS and has three options left.

Sea Dog 23

The Sox come to life signing Justin Turner. We either need a 3B or maybe just a regular DH.  His deal tops the one LA gave JDM.

Justin Turner's deal with the Boston Red Sox is for two years and just shy of $22 million, and it includes an opt-out after the first year.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 18, 2022, 05:17:57 PM
The Sox come to life signing Justin Turner. We either need a 3B or maybe just a regular DH.  His deal tops the one LA gave JDM.

Justin Turner's deal with the Boston Red Sox is for two years and just shy of $22 million, and it includes an opt-out after the first year.

I guess good signing.  JD without the pop, but can play the field.  He’s played some 2B too.  Had to laugh in looking at his similarity scores on BB Ref, he compares with Pablo Sandoval and Kevin Millar.

MongoLikeSox

Not a bad signing at all. An extra year probably needed to seal the deal. I would have thought 1 year, $10M or so. He's a hitter who's not afraid of the big moments. Or at least was. Might buy us a few days off here and there at 3B.

The big question - someone's gotta go. Who next on the DFA block?

(and related to recent moves, has Downs DFA situation been finalized? (trade, accepted assignment, granted Free Agency, etc) I think we'd have known by now if he was claimed by anyone.)

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 18, 2022, 07:04:09 PM
Not a bad signing at all. An extra year probably needed to seal the deal. I would have thought 1 year, $10M or so. He's a hitter who's not afraid of the big moments. Or at least was. Might buy us a few days off here and there at 3B.

The big question - someone's gotta go. Who next on the DFA block?

(and related to recent moves, has Downs DFA situation been finalized? (trade, accepted assignment, granted Free Agency, etc) I think we'd have known by now if he was claimed by anyone.)

A class act, decent power, hits in the clutch and good  team player.  We needed at least one more RH bat with some sock.  This is a good signing considering what we had done before.  Good team player too.  He could be a help to us the next two years.

elktonnick

Ken Rosenthal has a tremendous article in today's  Atheletic which summarizes perfectly  the current situation with the Red Sox.  The comments posted after the article are also well worth reading. 

To summarize both the tenor of the article and the comments:  It's Henry's fault and Bloom has made the situation worse.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on December 19, 2022, 08:12:33 AM
Ken Rosenthal has a tremendous article in today's  Atheletic which summarizes perfectly  the current situation with the Red Sox.  The comments posted after the article are also well worth reading. 

To summarize both the tenor of the article and the comments:  It's Henry's fault and Bloom has made the situation worse.

Saw some excerpts and he's right on.  Also saw that apparently the Sox offered JDM a minor league contract.  What is wrong with these guys?  Don't they realize they send messages to fans and players alike with moves like that?

longgame

I was able to access The Athletic article.  It's devastating.  Lines like this:

QuoteIf the Sox were a fast-burning candle under Bloom’s predecessor, Dave Dombrowski, they are now a slow-burning candle.

https://theathletic.com/4014758/2022/12/19/red-sox-owners-free-agency-blame/

elktonnick

Espn reports that Devers and Red Sox are "galaxies" apart.  Surprise Surprise Surprise

Sea Dog 23

Heading into the next season, unbeknownced to Sox MGT, Boston is beind boat-raced by the other teams in the northeast, NYY, Mets, and Philly.  They seem to have no pride in ownership. 

MongoLikeSox

They offered JDM a minor league deal???

Yeah, I saw that "galaxies" comment on MLB.com as well.

I'm glad I was able to get to that article in the Athletic. Sometimes I think Rosenthal is full of himself a bit too much, and maybe milks a point to weakly make another stick out. This is not one of those times. He did miss some things, but at some point it becomes a book.

Then it hit me. It's Stephen King's fault. He's writing his smack-daddy of all smack-daddy Red Sox horror films. In it, he somehow scared Sox Management to death.   

MongoLikeSox

On Eovaldi, according to MLB.com, speculation around the camp fire is that Nasty Nate will end up re-signing with the 'Sox. No clue who those people are, of course, they said "“pretty good confidence on the part of a lot of people in baseball” that Eovaldi will ultimately re-sign with the Red Sox."  So who knows. This is part of the machine that had Bogey all but re-signed with the 'Sox only to find out the Sox didn't ever try.

And in non-Sox news, disagreement with the Giants over the physical made Correa and Bora$ sign up with the Mets. The physicak cost 1 year. The Giants' deal was 13 years, $350, but the Mets' deal is 12-years, $315M.    AAV drops from $26.9M to $26.2M.