Blooms moves or lack thereof

Started by elktonnick, November 27, 2022, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

More wow for this off-season. Brandon Nimmo 8 years, $162M to stay put in NY. Solid all around player, sure, but such a big contract for guy with two seasons above 92 games played. Dang!!!! Isn't that close to last Springs extension offer to our remaining good player? Times are ah changing.

elktonnick

In my original post on this thread  I predicted Bloom would go 0 for 3 on signing Bogey, extending Devers and making the Sox a contender. So far my predictions are holding up.

In the aftermath of the Bogaerts debacle, it came out the Bloom knew that the Sox had virtually no chance of keeping Bogey and the FOs statements on the subject were deliberately  misleading.  We also know that ownership was heavily involved in the Bogey negotiations and Boras has a direct line to Henry that he will use at any time.  It is therefore pretty clear that unless Devers accepts short money and years he is gone as well.
As we look at the roster headinginnto 23 it is clear that this is barely a 500 team very unlikely to contend.  Looks like there will be plenty of empty seats at the Fens next year.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on December 11, 2022, 09:25:20 AM
In my original post on this thread  I predicted Bloom would go 0 for 3 on signing Bogey, extending Devers and making the Sox a contender. So far my predictions are holding up.

In the aftermath of the Bogaerts debacle, it came out the Bloom knew that the Sox had virtually no chance of keeping Bogey and the FOs statements on the subject were deliberately  misleading.  We also know that ownership was heavily involved in the Bogey negotiations and Boras has a direct line to Henry that he will use at any time.  It is therefore pretty clear that unless Devers accepts short money and years he is gone as well.
As we look at the roster headinginnto 23 it is clear that this is barely a 500 team very unlikely to contend.  Looks like there will be plenty of empty seats at the Fens next year.

In my opinion we will not have the courage or guts to sign Raffy to a big extension and will most likely will either trade him next season for "prospects"  or see what we can get from him for one last big hurrah.  Simply put Devers is as good as gone.  As for the empty seats, Henry is counting on the pink hats and casual fans to pack the park next season, and, BTW, this misleading deliberately by the Red Sox over the Bogaerts contretemps has Henry's filthy fingers all over it.  He and Bloom are two peas in the pod but when convenient he will sack the worthless Bloom and claim that "he gave Bloom free reign and he didn't do the job."  Anything to clean his hands over this malfeasance and no one should believe that crud for a moment.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on December 11, 2022, 12:50:21 PM

In my opinion we will not have the courage or guts to sign Raffy to a big extension and will most likely will either trade him next season for "prospects"  or see what we can get from him for one last big hurrah.  Simply put Devers is as good as gone.  As for the empty seats, Henry is counting on the pink hats and casual fans to pack the park next season, and, BTW, this misleading deliberately by the Red Sox over the Bogaerts contretemps has Henry filthy fingers all over it.  He and Bloom are two peas in the pod but when convenient he will sack the worthless Bloom and claim that "he gave Bloom free reign and he didn't do the job."  Anything to clean his hands over this malfeasance and no one should believe that crud for a moment.
Fred, I've related to you and others in the past that I am a forgiver of the Henry/Werner group. I've explained my reasons as being centered around getting 4 WS and that he was infinitely better than what we had since Tom Yawkey died.

Those days are over. This slow dismantling of the home grown team we've longed for is chock full of fan deception and bitter dealings with star players. This has become just as bad, if not worse than the Fisk fiasco, which was all part of a pure finance move that was the dismantling of that great core. (Evans, Lynn, Rice, Hobson, Burleson, Cooper, Fisk)

The worst part is that Henry knew full well what it meant for the Red Sox Nation to reconcile with Lynn, Fisk, Boggs, etc. It was a signal that said "we understand, and times have changed." Nope. They just trumped the trust fund years big time. They made at least a big of a mess out of our team than they ever did 25-40 years ago. 30 years from now, some other owner(the sooner, the better) is going to step in and pull off the same reconciliation act. Let's hope they don't turn on us like the Henry/Werner FSG did.

longgame

You make a really interesting point Mongo. Considering how hard they worked to bring former players, even those who went on to play elsewhere, back in to the Red Sox "family", you'd think they would be thinking about why it was important to do that and how to avoid doing the same thing.  This team is currently a new team, one with no identity.  They have one A player in Devers.  The rest are just average ballplayers, at best.  We have a couple of injury retreads, one with a terrible history of getting injured while injured or newly recovered, at the top of the rotation.  You've got what is likely the worst OF in MLB no matter how you count it, defensively or offensively.  The infield is unsettled.  Looks like we're all in on Casas as the every day 1B.  Story hasn't been particularly good even when he's on the field.  They're talking about Enmauel Valdez as the SS (I kid you not).  No catcher. 

ESPN had an article rating winners and losers at the Winters Meeting.  I'll give you one guess as to who the most popular losing club was. 

The only good news is that there is plenty of time before Spring Training.  The bad news is that that's two months for Bloom to screw this team up even more. 

elktonnick

Purportedly Bloom was brought in to beef up the farm.  The question is the farm any better than it was when Bloom was hired. I read one report that it is actually worse.. Are the players and prospects Bloom acquired really that good.  So far I think not.

Sea Dog 23

The Sox have some decisions coming.  They had 39 players on the 40 man (I think).  With the Jansen and Yoshoda signings, at least one will have to get DFAd.  There is a glut of marginal pitchers o the 40 man,  Hoy Park might be the odd man out of a couple SPs are added.

One way to clear out the bottleneck is a trade.  I don’t think they have the depth of prospects to go after Pittsburgh’s Reynolds.  A blurb today indicates they have been talking to Marlins about 1B/RF Cooper.  I only see that as a possibility because Bloom likes players who spent time with NYY, as Cooper did in 2017. .  A SS/2B infusion looks more and more like Andrus/Segura/Iglesias.  I am thinking like a Bloom reclamation project and hoping it’s more helpful to wins than that.  Otherwise, it’s looking like a blow the thing up year.

elktonnick

I am convinced that Henry has serious financial issues affecting FSG as a whole which is the reason for his looking to either sell Liverpool or seek new investors.  These issues are the reason he is unwilling to spend for long term contracts and why he brought in Bloom in the first place.  One can not separate the international longterm economic outlook from Henry's recent actions with the Red Sox.

It also could be that FSG is making these moves to free capital to make an offer for the Washington NFL team which is likely to be available soon.

Whatever his motivation he will not be making a realistic offer to Devers imho.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 12, 2022, 07:04:16 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on December 11, 2022, 12:50:21 PM

In my opinion we will not have the courage or guts to sign Raffy to a big extension and will most likely will either trade him next season for "prospects"  or see what we can get from him for one last big hurrah.  Simply put Devers is as good as gone.  As for the empty seats, Henry is counting on the pink hats and casual fans to pack the park next season, and, BTW, this misleading deliberately by the Red Sox over the Bogaerts contretemps has Henry filthy fingers all over it.  He and Bloom are two peas in the pod but when convenient he will sack the worthless Bloom and claim that "he gave Bloom free reign and he didn't do the job."  Anything to clean his hands over this malfeasance and no one should believe that crud for a moment.
Fred, I've related to you and others in the past that I am a forgiver of the Henry/Werner group. I've explained my reasons as being centered around getting 4 WS and that he was infinitely better than what we had since Tom Yawkey died.

Those days are over. This slow dismantling of the home grown team we've longed for is chock full of fan deception and bitter dealings with star players. This has become just as bad, if not worse than the Fisk fiasco, which was all part of a pure finance move that was the dismantling of that great core. (Evans, Lynn, Rice, Hobson, Burleson, Cooper, Fisk)

The worst part is that Henry knew full well what it meant for the Red Sox Nation to reconcile with Lynn, Fisk, Boggs, etc. It was a signal that said "we understand, and times have changed." Nope. They just trumped the trust fund years big time. They made at least a big of a mess out of our team than they ever did 25-40 years ago. 30 years from now, some other owner(the sooner, the better) is going to step in and pull off the same reconciliation act. Let's hope they don't turn on us like the Henry/Werner FSG did.

Sorry to see your faith in the overall running of the Red Sox take such a hit, but don't fret about it.  We all make mistakes and I am proof positive of that.  I admire that you kept the faith as long as you did, but as for me, I see myself sometimes as a cynical bastard and having coached baseball for the better part of 35 years may have fastened me with pretty hard steel imposed around my body dealing with phonies like some parents, boosters, sponsors, etc, etc.  Different ownership, same malfeasance.  I wonder if it is the water in Boston.  Yes, those four WS Titles still bring with it a glow that is hard to shed, but then again, we never saw a Red Sox team like our 2018 one, perhaps the greatest in RedSox history.  That Henry would then begin a year later to dismantle it boggles the imagination and divorces it from common sense.  Keep the faith my friend; perhaps I can join you not in the too distant future to relish the rebirth of our franchise.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on December 12, 2022, 08:50:58 AM
You make a really interesting point Mongo. Considering how hard they worked to bring former players, even those who went on to play elsewhere, back in to the Red Sox "family", you'd think they would be thinking about why it was important to do that and how to avoid doing the same thing.  This team is currently a new team, one with no identity.  They have one A player in Devers.  The rest are just average ballplayers, at best.  We have a couple of injury retreads, one with a terrible history of getting injured while injured or newly recovered, at the top of the rotation.  You've got what is likely the worst OF in MLB no matter how you count it, defensively or offensively.  The infield is unsettled.  Looks like we're all in on Casas as the every day 1B.  Story hasn't been particularly good even when he's on the field.  They're talking about Enmauel Valdez as the SS (I kid you not).  No catcher. 

ESPN had an article rating winners and losers at the Winters Meeting.  I'll give you one guess as to who the most popular losing club was. 

The only good news is that there is plenty of time before Spring Training.  The bad news is that that's two months for Bloom to screw this team up even more.

Maybe I ought to stop posting on this board Ted because some of you are getting as cynical as I am in my worst moments, and I don't want to be responsible for that.  That said should we not al be a little more that slightly perturbed by what Henry has done to our beloved team?  The only alternative is to plow on or junk our team for some other one.  The first alternative is to slog ahead; the latter is a completely impossibility..  We just have to keep the faith and hope sanity of some sort pervades  those in charge.

elktonnick

Heard that Bloom admittedyesterday that they knew months ago that they were out of the running on Bogey.  That duplitous so and so.

Sea Dog 23

In his interview with the Athletic Bloom said they were focusing on trades to fill their lineup.  Last week’s plan was to offer short term contracts with enormous AAV to remaining FA. He found out that the market really wants long contracts approaching 10 years,

The problem Chaim faces in finding a trade partner, he has probably lost all respect as an MLB executive, and would have to overtrade to get the value he wants.  That’s after losing two franchise players, soon to be three.  The Sox FO have put themselves on a pickle.

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 13, 2022, 06:58:23 AM
In his interview with the Athletic Bloom said they were focusing on trades to fill their lineup.  Last week’s plan was to offer short term contracts with enormous AAV to remaining FA. He found out that the market really wants long contracts approaching 10 years,

The problem Chaim faces in finding a trade partner, he has probably lost all respect as an MLB executive, and would have to overtrade to get the value he wants.  That’s after losing two franchise players, soon to be three.  The Sox FO have put themselves on a pickle.

What you are saying is absolutely  true.  Now no one believes a word he says.  One Boston sports personality says when Bloom speaks it is just so much "blah blah blah"

longgame

Baghdad Bloom needs to talk less and act more.  It's getting tiresome to watch as they totally don't understand the market. The market has trended towards big long term deals and they keep offering short deals with more AAV.  It doesn't move the needle when you can get a contract that takes you through retirement. 

I have no idea which journeymen he'll trade for and what he'll trade with.  He claims they want to build home grown talent and they let them walk when they come up for renewal, and meanwhile who in that farm system is tradeable?  Casas and Bello are off limits from what I understand (as they'll be key parts of this team) so what are you going to get for Dalbec and Downs and Duran?

Now every time someone signs someone (3 catchers including Vaz moved yesterday, good thing we don't need a catcher) I think "we could have used that guy".  So I guess we're passing on upgrading the catcher spot, we've downgraded the SS spot.  We're taking a flier on Casas as every day 1B which I'd be okay with if he had a MLB lineup behind him.  We have likely the worst OF in MLB.  And Chris Sale is at the top of our rotation, all 150 pounds of him. 

The media is ripping the Sox left and right.  They should change the name to the Boston Titanics.

MongoLikeSox

I cancelled my subscription to the Athletic. It was due up for auto-renew next week, anyhow. The everyday Red Sox coverage had become another PR-spin style of writing. National writers were OK.

It was never a first look news source and never intended to be. Last week, though, they had the articles posted on losing Bogey up before I looked just after 7:00AM. They were READY!

A day later and the why we lost 3 players in the main portion of the Rule-5. Same PR style spin. Even included some short-cited reasoning that made zero sense to anyone who could think.

A thought hit me after reading the Rule-5 article. Could losing a big name prospect to Rule-5 have had some PR intent? If it didn't, they sure are using it to claim just how good the farm system is these days. Yeah, OK.