Blooms moves or lack thereof

Started by elktonnick, November 27, 2022, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

This was actually under the AAV people were predicting. I was prepping myself for news some team jumping in with 10 years, $320 or some ridiculous thing well over market. To lose Bogey for market value or just below is inexcusable. Those other moves mean nothing now. It's a wash, and it was their plan all along. They were not fibbing when they said they are where they wanted to be. This is it. Goal accomplished.

Can't insult your players and expect them to stay unless you're the Yankees?

thumb_d thumb_d thumb_d

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on December 08, 2022, 07:21:41 AM
Saw a Globe article, but couldn’t read it behind the paywall but the story said Bloom was shocked by this deal.  Sure it’s another indictment of him, but he did seem truly shocked.  Now he has more work to do.   The Sox need a SS and I’m actually okay if they put Kike at 2B and Story at SS if they get a stud CF.  THey’ll need it as Yoshida has no arm from what I can tell.  He’s got a range factor like Renfroe without the arm.  I figure he’d have to learn and play LF and Verdugo goes to RF which is a weak start to an OF.
If Bloom is truly shocked then it shows how totally out of his depth he is.  His first duty is to understand the market which he clearly doesn't.

Schloicka

I never would of given Xman an 11 year deal. 28 million a year for that long is foolish. If he had wanted a 5 year deal for 28 million a year I could see it. Or even 30 million a year. If he was still 25 things might be looked at differently.

elktonnick

Quote from: Schloicka on December 08, 2022, 07:55:48 AM
I never would of given Xman an 11 year deal. 28 million a year for that long is foolish. If he had wanted a 5 year deal for 28 million a year I could see it. Or even 30 million a year. If he was still 25 things might be looked at differently.

Serious question: Do these contracts typically include a cola adjustment.  Given inflation his salary could diminish by half at 11 years in real terms if inflation remains at the 7 % level

longgame

Pretty sure they're straight dollars, no COLA.  It's a contract worth X in today's dollars.

Sure 11 years makes no sense, but 30 year olds have been getting those contracts for a few years now.  The Sox had to make a choice - field a good team and keep the fan base, or just flounder around in the market.  Don't tell me you want a farm system if your going to let the best products of that system go every time.  This should have been easy and should have been done a year ago. Did Bloom think the market would go down?  Did Bloom think Bogey's asking price would go down?  Did he think that after several years of 10 year contracts to older players that this trend would come to a sudden stop? 

Bloom was having a good day but right now this team has a worse lineup and rotation than last year but maybe the bullpen is better.  They'll need to be since I don't expect Sale or Paxton to be able to go more than 5 innings per game before they hit the DL again. 

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on December 08, 2022, 08:32:50 AM
Pretty sure they're straight dollars, no COLA.  It's a contract worth X in today's dollars.

Sure 11 years makes no sense, but 30 year olds have been getting those contracts for a few years now.  The Sox had to make a choice - field a good team and keep the fan base, or just flounder around in the market.  Don't tell me you want a farm system if your going to let the best products of that system go every time.  This should have been easy and should have been done a year ago. Did Bloom think the market would go down?  Did Bloom think Bogey's asking price would go down?  Did he think that after several years of 10 year contracts to older players that this trend would come to a sudden stop? 

Bloom was having a good day but right now this team has a worse lineup and rotation than last year but maybe the bullpen is better.  They'll need to be since I don't expect Sale or Paxton to be able to go more than 5 innings per game before they hit the DL again.
My thoughts exactly

longgame

Saw this in an article, but can't verify how accurate it is, but....  Boston made Bogaerts a 6-year offer for approximately $162 million.  No wonder he left, I think anyone could have told them this wouldn't fly. 

He now has the 5th best SS contract in MLB, which sounds about right.

Do the Sox go after Swanson who is a very good fielder?  Would help a lot but they still need to address the OF.

MongoLikeSox

That's official from their Press Department, Alex Spieire. That is the quick spin. Everyone had predicted him to land close to the  $200M mark and something like 7-8 years, and that was before the market jumped this past couple of weeks.

If Trea Turner got $300M, there is no way in hell the Red Sox were even close to signing Bogey for $162M, or whatever the hell it was. This whole story got wind in the sails because someone leaked to a local writer that talks were heavy. Yeah, right. I'm suggesting right here and now that this "source" that leaked to the local Boston writer(Abrams?) was feeding him an absolute line of crap so that whenever a big deal did happen they could make it look like a massive over-pay. In other words, "Gee whiz, 'Sox fans, we were about to sign him for $xx when some big bad bullies made him an outrageous offer that they could not refuse. But we tried!!!"

Spare me. You tell me that if Dombrowski could have had Bogey for $225M instead of Turner for $300M that he would not have taken Bogey? Cut me a frigging break. There is NO WAY that Bogey was half the price of Turner. We'll see what Swanson gets from the Cubs or whoever is left spending. He was predicted to get less than Bogey by everyone.

I am so sick and tired of this BS spin department of the Red Sox.

Sea Dog 23

Today I saw a fan propose a trade possibility, which is right up Bloom’s alley.  Similar to the Hosmer deal.  Verdugo, AAA P Chris Murphy, and Yorke to Brewers for SS Willy Adames and OF Yelich, which would be a salary dump from a bad contract.  Maybe they would think Verdugo is the next Hunter Renfroe.

longgame

Somehow it seems Chaim thought he had this locked up when he was way off the mark.  Hopefully they thought through a Plan B. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 08, 2022, 12:08:52 PM
Today I saw a fan propose a trade possibility, which is right up Bloom’s alley.  Similar to the Hosmer deal.  Verdugo, AAA P Chris Murphy, and Yorke to Brewers for SS Willy Adames and OF Yelich, which would be a salary dump from a bad contract.  Maybe they would think Verdugo is the next Hunter Renfroe.

No way.  Yelich has been failing offensively the past few years and we got fleeced by the Brewers last season, or should Isay Bloom got fleeced.  The Fenway Sports Group led by the Prune is involved with soccer, hockey and the Red Sox and is supposed to be drowning money right now.  Besides Bloomer Girl not be able to do his job, the fact that he was described as "shocked" when he heard the news of Bogey on the plane home, it just tells me he and Prune Face and whole shitface Boston Organization still does know the market.  Their market and the baseball marker is not the same and you would think by now they would have learning something, but Henry is a twit and Bloomer Girl is a worthless piece of baseball official.

MongoLikeSox

At some point, somebody who doesn't work for the Red Sox/Globe/NESN is going to get a whole bunch of intel together and expose details for what they were/are and not the spin we're getting. There is no way I'm buying that they had confidence that the signing was going to happen.

Ayuh! This is the same organization that was so blinded.....  oh, never mind.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 08, 2022, 03:55:18 PM
At some point, somebody who doesn't work for the Red Sox/Globe/NESN is going to get a whole bunch of intel together and expose details for what they were/are and not the spin we're getting. There is no way I'm buying that they had confidence that the signing was going to happen.

Ayuh! This is the same organization that was so blinded.....  oh, never mind.

We know one consistent factor from the start is John Henry.  This probably goes back to why Theo left after dismantling his winning teams.  What don't the Sox get about consistency both on the field and with the fans? 

MongoLikeSox

It's almost a paradox. We chase after stat darlings who are not ours, but low-ball our proven successes. I wonder if it's personal with Henry? Does he take the attitude that a player walking away never liked him to begin with? Does his loyalty from others requirement include only those who are willing to show it by taking far less than open market?

Others have suggested the shiny new toy theory. Got to be some of that in there, too. 

elktonnick

Clearly Henry's personality quirks plays a major factor. I also think FSG is hard pressed for capital right now. Events with Liverpool and FSG's search for either a buyer or major new investor for that team must be having an effect on the Red Sox spending plans.  These things are not isolated events.