Blooms moves or lack thereof

Started by elktonnick, November 27, 2022, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on November 30, 2022, 05:44:14 AM
Quote from: elktonnick on November 29, 2022, 05:28:26 PM
Here's the thing.  According to John Heyman, Jose Abreu was one of Boston"s top priorities.  Now whether he should have been is not the issue. Once again they did not get the prize they sought. This has been the pattern throughout the Bloom tenure thus far.  They fail.  This does not inspire any confidence that Bloom will be successful at signing his other top priorities, Bogaerts and the Devers extension.
It would be interesting to learn HOW and WHY we failed.

Should we have targeted him at all? You're right. That really is a whole other set of issues on more than one front.

We failed for a one word......OUTBID, and that is a word you will hear time and again this off season.  The team right now does NOT  want to spend and though my opinion of Bloom is at rock bottom, I simply cannot believe he is that rancid as a BO director.  I still see Prune Face Henry dangling the wires behind the screen.  Still I agree that he was not a good choice for our rebuilding team, but being outbid is a hint of what is to come.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on November 30, 2022, 07:14:44 AM
I think they are either scaming us by dropping these little tid bits of their going after this player or that whom they have no intention of signing or they are so incompetent they underestimate the market entirely.

Take your choice of answers Elk both are pretty much accurate as this point.  Maybe Henry will suddenly come out of his stupor and suddenly decide that finishing last again next season would bring a torrent of insults, abuse and calumny down on his shaky skull.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on November 30, 2022, 08:43:59 AM
Also, he was our #1 priority?  We need more 1Bs?  We have Casas, Hosmer, Dalbec.  We need an OF and a SS and a C.  What was he going to do, move Casas to the outfield?  What Sox priorities should be:

1 - Sign Bogey or tell him to kiss off
2 - After doing this and creating more work for yourself, find a SS to replace him.
3 - A closer
4 - A top of the rotation starter
5 - A RH OF bat

Those last 3 of course could be equal priority.  But none of those priorities should have been a 1B.

Right Ted---but why should you, Mongo, Elk, and the rest of our crew seem to know a helluva lot more than those dweebs who are running this shit show in Boston.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on November 30, 2022, 11:07:00 AM
Quote from: longgame on November 30, 2022, 08:43:59 AM
Also, he was our #1 priority?  We need more 1Bs?  We have Casas, Hosmer, Dalbec.  We need an OF and a SS and a C.  What was he going to do, move Casas to the outfield?  What Sox priorities should be:

1 - Sign Bogey or tell him to kiss off
2 - After doing this and creating more work for yourself, find a SS to replace him.
3 - A closer
4 - A top of the rotation starter
5 - A RH OF bat

Those last 3 of course could be equal priority.  But none of those priorities should have been a 1B.

Right Ted---but why should you, Mongo, Elk, and the rest of our crew seem to know a helluva lot more than those dweebs who are running this shit show in Boston.

From what I've seen in other platforms, the consensus is that he's flailing and failing.  Except for the pink hats who think if you criticize the team you're somehow not a fan. I never got that.  If I like the team I'm going to criticize them for not playing well.   If I didn't like the team I wouldn't care and would be laughing at them like all of MLB is doing. 

Sea Dog 23

The Front Office continues to be tone deaf. The focus of the Red Sox is obviously maximizing profit on the backs of the fans.  After another last place finish/division, Henry and the gang have again raised prices at the gate,  elected to add corporate patches to the uni’s like they were racing car drivers, while letting the market play out while looking for best value in the mid-tier talent.

I suppose they’ll say later on they spent most of their time and money chasing Bogaerts and Devers.

MongoLikeSox

I don't think anybody, anywhere can say anything than the Red Sox need massive top-level bullpen help.

The massive failure at this year's trade deadline is going to be felt for a long, long time. It was as bad a failure as the Red Sox before and after the lockout this past off season.

It's happening all over again, too. Go look at what we gave up for Hoy Park, a depth piece who a massive K-rate, horrible batting average who was a DFA trade from one of the worst teams in baseball. (to save you time - the player they got is named Inmer Lobo) 

Meanwhile, my poster-boy for all that is wrong with the Red Sox system - Ryan Fitzgerald -  loses hope and still hit better than this guy. Too bad he didn't get traded for by Bloom. He might be starting next year. Happy Politics!!!

Sea Dog 23

Kennedy hinted yesterday that several offers were out and “a deal could be imminent”.  That could be OF /DH Mitch Haniger, former Mariners.  He hit .248 in 2022 ( salary $7.7m) , limited by a few injuries.  Rangers are said to be the other contender. The caveat, he only played 57 games last year and has missed 270 games in the last several years.

“The veteran outfielder is a career .261 hitter and has been just below that mark in recent years, but has serious pop in his bat and could fill an important role as a right-handed slugger, something the Red Sox outfield has not boasted since they traded away Hunter Renfroe.”

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 01, 2022, 11:40:08 AM
Kennedy hinted yesterday that several offers were out and “deal could be imminent”.  That could be OF Mitch Haniger, former Mariners.  He hit .248 in 2022 ( salary $7.7m) , limited by a few injuries.  Rangers are said to be the other contender

“The veteran outfielder is a career .261 hitter and has been just below that mark in recent years, but has serious pop in his bat and could fill an important role as a right-handed slugger, something the Red Sox outfield has not boasted since they traded away Hunter Renfroe.”

Doesn't light the world on fire but it's a good indication of where they are where a journeyman OF is considered a big move for this club. 

MongoLikeSox

Haniger can hang with the big boys power numbers save for the elite. Strike out rate ain't great. but we've had worse. This is an agreeable bridge type signing if they can pull it off. Beats the snot out of Peraza-Park types. We don't have to go out power shopping with big Daddy's Visa to make this team work. Well, I say that thinking Bogey. If he goes, we'll need more.

Anyone seen the first rumor on Eovaldi? I wonder if that's an imminent happening for us? It could be decided and agreed upon except we'd have to eliminate a player from the roster within x-days of an official signing. 

longgame

So interestingly enough the Sox gave an offer to Zach Eflin who turned around to the Rays and they said they'd match it and did the deal.  The Sox got played by a mid level pitcher and the Rays.  I'm guessing the Rays were happy to see Chaim go just for this reason.  I'm not upset about the deal, I know very little about Eflin, but the fact that the Sox wanted him and couldn't close the deal is bothersome.  Meanwhile the Rays took a page from the Yankees playbook by telling him to get an offer and we'll match it.  Sox need to pay guys if they want to get them.   

This is what they've done to the Red Sox, where someone would rather go to Tampa to play in front of 100s every night, rather than what used to be the center of the baseball universe. 

elktonnick

The pattern continues.  The Red Sox target a player, make an offer only to be out bid by another team.  In essence, Blooms low ball negotiating style will result in a team capable of low ball results.  At present this team isn't  capable of winning 75 ball games but will be filled of "high value" in Blooms mind at least players.

MongoLikeSox

The baseball world knows full well the ship-wreck in Boston. They had to over-pay Kike to stay an extra year, and it was really nothing more than a fluff move to try and calm players' ire. I do wonder if this was one of the moves Kennedy was expecting to happen?

There was a lengthy article in the Athletic yesterday, which included comments by team prez, Kennedy. Amongst other bits we've already discussed was the assertions that the organization is in much better shape than it was 3 years ago, and that it is now ready to take the next big set of steps. A reader in the comment section called Kennedy the "Baghdad Bob" of the Red Sox world. Priceless. Made my day.

This has more than that angle. If you were a pitcher and wanted to get better, would you go to Boston or Tampa? Just saying that Tampa does have the pitcher development reputation in their favor in addition to less public scrutiny and the players seem less unhappy. Perhaps Eflin wanted no more of the latter considering he's been in Philadelphia since 2016. 

MongoLikeSox

The spin is already up on the Athletic. We lost him for home town concerns, Eflin stated as being from Orlando, and the Red Sox never had a chance to bid beyond what they thought the player wanted.

The article also said they thought they had him locked up, or whatever the term was.

Is this the first time we've known that Kennedy has been involved in all of this hot-stove stuff? This seems unusual to me.

Sea Dog 23

My opinion, Kennedy is playing his part in good-cop-bad-cop.  But the PR is taking a hit this week in Boston.  For pitching they’ll now have to overbid for Senger (Japan) or Kluber, otherwise Bloom goes into the winter meetings looking like more of a nothingburger than he was last week. 

They’ve already said they want no part of the Verlander-DeGrom sweepstakes.  The numbers of mid-level arms are starting to get thinner.  Anybody looking for a strong return of Sale/Paxton is forgetting how many IP’s thoseguys have pitched the last couple of years.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 02, 2022, 09:11:15 AM
The spin is already up on the Athletic. We lost him for home town concerns, Eflin stated as being from Orlando, and the Red Sox never had a chance to bid beyond what they thought the player wanted.

The article also said they thought they had him locked up, or whatever the term was.

Is this the first time we've known that Kennedy has been involved in all of this hot-stove stuff? This seems unusual to me.

Why Mongo????  It is a prime example of resetting the deck chairs on the Titanic, one incompetent aiding another incompetent in a race of incompetent of the year.  Once again, keep in mind that word I started using two or three days ago........OUTBID!!!!!!!!!