Blooms moves or lack thereof

Started by elktonnick, November 27, 2022, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

I am curious.  How many think 1.  Bloom will be able to resign Bogaerts. 2  Bloom is able to get Devers to agree to an extension. 3 Bloom will make moves that will make Boston a likely playoff contenderin 2023
For the record I think he will go 0 for 3.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on November 27, 2022, 04:29:54 PM
I am curious.  How many think 1.  Bloom will be able to resign Bogaerts. 2  Bloom is able to get Devers to agree to an extension. 3 Bloom will make moves that will make Boston a likely playoff contenderin 2023
For the record I think he will go 0 for 3.

He certainly won't get three for three, nor will be get two for three, but I have to believe in one of my naive moments Elk that he might be able to accomplish one of those tasks----or am I just being a damn fool to think that he can do anything of the kind?

longgame

Based on his performance since joining the Sox it's not clear he'll make any positive moves.  I just can't help but be pessimistic.  Remember last year's deal with Story was done very late, after everyone else passed on him so Bloom figured he could win that one.  Then the guy wasn't ready, then he was injured.  Bloom needs the Sox to enter camp with a full roster, one that is improved over last year - which shouldn't be too tough to do. 

MongoLikeSox

No, no and no.

Anyone look at the kid we gave up for this depth piece infielder from the Pirates? He was DFA'd before the trade. As with DFA trades, I had thought the trade would have been for some 21 year old struggling for his 3rd straight year in short season ball with an ERA north of 6. Wrong. It was an 18 year old kid who made 5 starts in the DSL that produced a 0.82 ERA, 0.77 WHIP with 28 K's in 22 IP. For that, we get DFA fodder from one of the worst teams in the league. Versatility with a massive strikeout rate. He does not do a thing for our large strikeout, low contact problem. He does have a little bit of speed and some pop, as they say. That's not the point. We over-paid AND tied up a roster spot. Oh, and he's another fringe power LH bat. Oh goodie!!!

I'm still stunned at the pathetic moves Bloom has made so far. I'm really sick of signing some low-rent, otherwise destined for a small market back of the pen fodder because we liked the peripherals. Neither of these two MLB moves help the team improve. A twist of lyrics from the Who song - Come meet the new depth - same as the old depth.

The move to sign Crook to a Minor League deal? Perfect. Low risk. Bingo! Sign me up. Good job. If called to action, will he do well? Who knows? The big K numbers look similar to Park's, yes, but at least we didn't give anyone up for him.

FWIW, our 40-man roster is at 40 men. We have to trade or DFA a player to match any acquisitions. Not a total bad thing, but we are handcuffed ATM.

Sea Dog 23

The success of Bloom this off season will be tempered by moves from Preller at SD,  Dombrowski, and Eppler.  Those guys as well as Cashman, will set the market. Our Ops guy is a junior scout when those guys start dealing.  If Henry had any moxie, he would go out and steal Dipoto from the Mariners.

Blooms style last year was to let all the cards get played until Story had no where else to go. Correa was in the same boat, maybe Dansby Swanson this year.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on November 28, 2022, 01:47:50 PM
The success of Bloom this off season will be tempered by moves from Preller at SD,  Dombrowski, and Eppler.  Those guys as well as Cashman, will set the market. Our Ops guy is a junior scout when those guys start dealing.  If Henry had any moxie, he would go out and steal Dipoto from the Mariners.

Blooms style last year was to let all the cards get played until Story had no where else to go. Correa was in the same boat, maybe Dansby Swanson this year.

How can such a person coming from an organization that prides itself on development of young talent and smart baseball men could have produced a total moron like Bloom which they foisted on us?  The guy is ignorant, stupid, incompetent and a total turkey.  Either he is all that or behind the curtain pulling the puppet strings lies Prune Face who is determined not to spend diddly squat to improve his team and hopes the pollyannas and pink hats will again be dumb enough to buy the tickets, food, gifts and baseball treats to carry him over for another lousy year.  Right now we've signed three rejects from other teams and not one decent player of any kind.

elktonnick

Purportedly the Sox were eyeing Abreu as a DH and a JD Martinez replacement.  Well The Astros once again beat our slow footed VP for Baseball OPS to the punch.   I think the moniker "Day late and a dollar short" is going to stick to Bloom like glue.

MongoLikeSox

Abreu is one of the many who suffered large HR drops last season.  He still hit .304, though, and should really do well in Houston without changing a thing. 3-year deal worth approx $20M per.

This is where the Red Sox will let their press department start trickling out whispers of the XB delay handcuffing the team and it's ability to maneuver for the off-season.

That said, I'd rather see a significant catcher or Left Fielder for that money. Ain't gonna happen, but it's what I'd like to see. I'd like to see more than that thrown into the BP. That ain't gonna happen, either. My cynical side is showing.

Sea Dog 23

Personally I hope the OF they sign is Michael Brantley.  Hits well at Fenway (Twins, Astros) in 2022 .288/.418/.788 about 14% K rate. lifetime .298 hitter. Only downside his power level was off last year from injuries, has 127 career homers.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on November 28, 2022, 04:15:16 PM
Purportedly the Sox were eyeing Abreu as a DH and a JD Martinez replacement.  Well The Astros once again beat our slow footed VP for Baseball OPS to the punch.   I think the moniker "Day late and a dollar short" is going to stick to Bloom like glue.

3 year deal for a 36 year old guy?  I'm glad he passed.  The Sox would get him, then in a year send him and prospects for a reliever.  Just as well at this point.  They need either short term guys or long term guys who make sense.  Abreu doesn't fit either. 

elktonnick

Here's the thing.  According to John Heyman, Jose Abreu was one of Boston"s top priorities.  Now whether he should have been is not the issue. Once again they did not get the prize they sought. This has been the pattern throughout the Bloom tenure thus far.  They fail.  This does not inspire any confidence that Bloom will be successful at signing his other top priorities, Bogaerts and the Devers extension.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: elktonnick on November 29, 2022, 05:28:26 PM
Here's the thing.  According to John Heyman, Jose Abreu was one of Boston"s top priorities.  Now whether he should have been is not the issue. Once again they did not get the prize they sought. This has been the pattern throughout the Bloom tenure thus far.  They fail.  This does not inspire any confidence that Bloom will be successful at signing his other top priorities, Bogaerts and the Devers extension.
It would be interesting to learn HOW and WHY we failed.

Should we have targeted him at all? You're right. That really is a whole other set of issues on more than one front.

elktonnick

I think they are either scaming us by dropping these little tid bits of their going after this player or that whom they have no intention of signing or they are so incompetent they underestimate the market entirely.

Sea Dog 23

Maserati raises some good points today.  Sox stated they’re not bidding for elite SPitchers.  They have shown no interest in elite relievers (Diaz, Montes of Houston).

Also he is concerned  the top players like Abrieu would turn down a Sox offer to play for a winner, Houston in this case.  The desire to play in the post season could draw Bogey out of Boston to Philly or San Diego.  This week Eppler asked Bogey if he could play 2B or 1B. Or he could move SS Tatis Jr to OF.  Does any player value playing in Boston any more?  MGT might have poisoned the water for what’s left of the franchise.  My lizard brain tells me Casas, Yorke and Mayer will soon be the heart of the ‘new’ Sox.

longgame

Also, he was our #1 priority?  We need more 1Bs?  We have Casas, Hosmer, Dalbec.  We need an OF and a SS and a C.  What was he going to do, move Casas to the outfield?  What Sox priorities should be:

1 - Sign Bogey or tell him to kiss off
2 - After doing this and creating more work for yourself, find a SS to replace him.
3 - A closer
4 - A top of the rotation starter
5 - A RH OF bat

Those last 3 of course could be equal priority.  But none of those priorities should have been a 1B.