Starting Pitchers - Early Happenings

Started by MongoLikeSox, November 10, 2022, 08:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Either the MGT. is conducting their own lockout with the MLBPA or they’re just taking the month off, but Jamie Gatlin thinks Sox are progressing with a deal for Eovaldi.  Only Seattle looks to be active in the market.

longgame

I don't think Bloom works during November, December and January.  He'll scoop up the bargain bin when all the good guys are gone. 

MongoLikeSox

A pair of relative moves, the Red Sox non-tendered Franchy and Yu Change. Hopefully this breakup will last and it's not a way to save $200k - $400k by bringing him back.

Somewhat surprising is that means they are bringing back Brasier, at least for the time being. I agree with those who say Brasier would be a good depth piece as long as they don't insert him in a pressure situation. Beyond that, it's been a long time since he was a reliable late inning go to guy.

So, IF we were going to let those two go, why not protect Thad Ward? The other day I was rather critical of this move. Soon thereafter, it occurred to me that we already had a glut of not quite ready for the big leagues starting pitchers in addition to the stable full of injury and depth pieces. 11-12 in all, depending on Houck's status, with designs on bring Eovaldi back.

Sea Dog 23

Speier of the Globe says we have < “interest” > in Rays FA Kluber

According to Alex Speier of the Boston Globe, the Red Sox have expressed interest in free agent starter Corey Kluber.

His 2022 line was 10-10, 4.44 era , 1.31 WHIP.
I recall Sox had good games against Kluber.

elktonnick

I do not know about anyone else but I am getting a little sick and tired of Henry's employees in the media dropping these little tid bits about the Sox being interested in this players or that and then crickets.  I would not feel this way if I had any confidence that Bloom will actually make a significant move that improves the team.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on November 19, 2022, 06:14:20 PM
I do not know about anyone else but I am getting a little sick and tired of Henry's employees in the media dropping these little tid bits about the Sox being interested in this players or that and then crickets.  I would not feel this way if I had any confidence that Bloom will actually make a significant move that improves the team.

Simply put Elk, it pisses me off no end as well.  All talk and rumors and then zilch or garbage.

Sea Dog 23

This is a balanced write up on where Sox seems to be going for pitching. From Mark Polishuk of MLBTR.
The pitchers they are looking at would not rival Houston, NYY.  They might go .400 against Rays and Jays. I think 2023 is another bridge year.  A bridge to what?

“While the Red Sox are actively seeking out more arms, Alex Speier writes that it doesn’t appear the team is aiming for the very top of the pitching market.  This means that Justin Verlander, Jacob deGrom, Carlos Rodon, and Chris Bassitt are unlikely to be landing in Boston, for a variety of reasons.  In the view of most pundits (including MLB Trade Rumors’ own top 50 free agent list), these are the four established Major League starters likely to score the biggest contracts on the open market this winter, and it seems as though the Red Sox aren’t eager to make quite such a big commitment to a single player.  “The Sox are more likely to spread spending across several targets,” Speier writes, so hypothetically, Boston could sign the likes of Heaney and Eovaldi for less than it would cost to sign Verlander alone just in 2023 salary.

“Singe could be something of an exception, as the Japanese ace is drawing enough widespread interest that it now looks like he could land one of the bigger contracts of any pitcher this offseason.  MLBTR projects Senga for five years and $75MM, and while the Red Sox have interest, it is possible the bidding could get beyond their comfort zone.

“The Red Sox have already been linked to multiple free agent pitchers, with such names as Kodai Senga, Andrew Heaney, Seth Lugo, and Tyler Anderson (since signed by the Angels), all reported as names on Boston’s radar, and the Sox also have interest in re-signing two of their own free agents in Nathan Eovaldi and Rich Hill.

“Corey Kluber is also on this list, as the right-hander tells Alex Speier of the Boston Globe that he had had some talks with Boston this winter.  After previously negotiating with the Red Sox in each of the right-hander’s previous two trips to the free agent market, Kluber ended up signing with the Yankees for the 2021 season and then with the Rays in 2022.  Kluber posted a 4.34 ERA and a league-best 1.2 BB/9 over 164 innings with Tampa Bay, and pitching in Boston would have some extra appeal since Kluber and his family live in Winchester, Massachusetts.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/latest-on-red-sox-pitching-targets-2.html

longgame

Not having a true ace works when you've got a staff of studs.  Look at 2007 - Beckett, Schilling, Wake, DiceK.  It doesn't work when you've got nobody that can get past 4 or 5 innings and you have no bullpen.

Do the Sox really have a clue as to how far off they are right now?

Sea Dog 23

Two years ago Sox were said to have been the high bidder for Corey Kluber, whose family lives in Mass. However he signed with NYY.

There could be a disconnect between the culture of Boston (and NY) and Free Agent players.  I saw this observation today, with respect to players attracted to teams on Florida and Texas, notably the very good Japanese and Korean players who have posted.  The California teams are an exception to the high taxes I think because of geography.  Senga is the latest Japanese star pitcher who avoided Boston during his tour of US cities last week. Sox had scouted him for quite awhile. Jon Morosi did say 11/21 that Sox have contacted Senga’s agent.

“Why play in high tax areas, far away from home, only to get eviscerated by toxic fanbases if you get off to a slow start.“

longgame

Wow, I looked it up and was surprised that Mass is considered more expensive than California.  But LA has much higher taxes than Boston, both income and sales taxes although I know there was talk about some sort of super tax for millionaires. 

Bottom line is the west coast has a lot of Asian people and a lot of Asian press, plus the weather is better!  Plus who knows what Chaim will do to you after a year or two.

MongoLikeSox

Renfroe got traded again. Three minor-league pitchers including two that have had call-ups the past couple years with unimpressive results and a 5th rounder from two years ago that played three levels last season and did well.

Why is Renfroe traded and/or released so often? He had another decent year. Is he an attitude problem or a trouble-maker? I've not heard of anything bad about him. Ever.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on November 23, 2022, 07:08:57 AM
Renfroe got traded again. Three minor-league pitchers including two that have had call-ups the past couple years with unimpressive results and a 5th rounder from two years ago that played three levels last season and did well.

Why is Renfroe traded and/or released so often? He had another decent year. Is he an attitude problem or a trouble-maker? I've not heard of anything bad about him. Ever.

All I can say is Renfroe is a so-so outfielder.  He was a bit of a punch line on Sox boards at end of 2021 with his brain farts in RF. Of course playing RF at Fenway is like playing CF at Fenway.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on November 23, 2022, 07:49:51 AM

All I can say is Renfroe is a so-so outfielder.  He was a bit of a punch line on Sox boards at end of 2021 with his brain farts in RF. Of course playing RF at Fenway is like playing CF at Fenway.
I still can't believe he was a finalist for the GG that year. One of the worst I've seen at balls bouncing around below his knees, but does have a canon and can chase a fly ball down decently for a big dude.

Still, being traded, non-tendered, traded and traded the past 4 off seasons. Dang!

longgame

He has that great arm, he just can't play fly balls very well.  Sort of strange guy with a weakness a team like the Sox, with no other good outfielders, can afford.  Of course replacing him with JBJ was a step backwards.  Sox need to make some forward steps but I have no faith this will happen. 

SeaBeachFred

Renfroe was a standout for the Red Sox in 2021 and to me it is because he is a coveted player that he is wanted by so many teams.  I never heard one negative thing about him when he played for the Padres in San Diego and his time in Boston elicited no negative stories from what I have heard.  Once again Bloom blew a chance to get a power hi tting outfielder that he claims we need so badly.  And for what did we trade him for in the first place---to get  their beloved Jackie Bradley back for another year of shitty play for our team? And by the way, after traded to Toronto he actually hit worse than the 204 he was hitting for us----and don't be surprised if he winds up back with us again.  We owe him money due to Blooms' stupid trade for him last winter and knowing Bloomer for the mo ron he is he might as well sign him back up since we have to pay him.  Nothing Bloom and Henry do surprise me any more in the least and it shouldn't surprise any of you either because the guy is just an incompetent bum.