2022 World Series

Started by markj, October 28, 2022, 10:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Rooting for the Phillies. Not very confident, though.

Sea Dog 23

Maybe a good omen for the Phils, maybe.  Tonight's starter Verlander, has an 0-6 record as a starter in the WS, Tigers and Astros, a 5.78 WS ERA  in 38 IP.

SeaBeachFred

I may lose a friend on this board but hopefully you will know where I'm coming from.  I'm rooting for the Astros to win the World Series, a position that has garnered both disappointment from some of my friends and colleagues our here in Southern California.  First I want Dusty Baker to win a World Series.  At his age he doesn't have too many more years of managing to look forward to and perhaps he might decide to go out a winner if he and his team can pull this off.  Hopefully he will not pull a Tony LaRussa and get greedy to wind up the mill again.  It also has been an irritation hearing Dodger fans out here still bellyaching about the cheating that deprived them of a WS victory, forgetting that they played pretty sloppy baseball and let a lot of potential big innings slip by in the 2017 Fall Classic.  Someone besides me should  tell them that they had a chance the next year and got waylaid by the Red Sox, annihilated by the Nationals in the 2019 NLDS, and then whipped soundly by the Braves last year in the World Series and creamed by the Padres this year in the NLDS after dominating the San Diego 14-5 during the regular season. Perhaps that outfit should just shut up and deal.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to the WS even though we aren't in it.

markj

I was about to write this game off and then Philly got 3 quick runs.

markj

Phillies tide it up. Very cool.

markj

Wow, Philly comes back from 5-0 to win it 6-5. Very impressive.

Sea Dog 23

Houston got all their offense from Tucker.  Phil's had a good book on all their other hitters.  The talking heads said Nola would get rocked with his breaking balls.  But that is what he stayed with most of the night.

markj

Phillies had no answer for Valdez, but managed a couple of runs off the BP. 'Stros got 3 quick runs early and added a 2-run dinger later. Didn't expect Philly to take both games, but going home with one game in the bag is a good thing.

longgame

It will be interesting to see how the Phillies respond to the home crowd and if they start teeing off tonight.  I'd like to see them win, being the vast underdog and unlike Fred, I hate the Astros.  The only redeeming value is they have Vazquez.  Dusty was fine until he started talking about getting a call from his buddy, serial rapist Bill Cosby.  Just one more reason not to like that team. 

I like the underdog vibe and it seems like they have a team of Schwarbers, plus I love that DD gets to thumb his nose at Henry no matter what happens. 

Checked some stats - DD with the Sox - 396-277 (.588) with a WS win in 3rd full year.  DD with Philly - 169-155 (.522) in the WS in second year.  Bloom - 194-190 (.505) with an ALCS appearance that was the only winning team he has had and he dismantled it. 

Sea Dog 23

I saw the Philly fans were calling out Verlander at the airport.  He responded by showing "the finger".  That got him tossed from the remainder of the series.  However they say Houston is stacked with quality pitchers and a few starters pitching out of the bullpen.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on November 01, 2022, 07:21:25 AM
I saw the Philly fans were calling out Verlander at the airport.  He responded by showing "the finger".  That got him tossed from the remainder of the series.  However they say Houston is stacked with quality pitchers and a few starters pitching out of the bullpen.

I didn't see anything about him getting tossed for the series.  Do you have a link?  What I've seen is he's scheduled for Game 5. 

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on November 01, 2022, 08:17:32 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on November 01, 2022, 07:21:25 AM

I didn't see anything about him getting tossed for the series.  Do you have a link?  What I've seen is he's scheduled for Game 5.

I saw that on Twitter early this morning with the tag " suspended".  Media is such a trash pile, whether it's NBC or the local news station.

markj

Phillies are beating the snot out of Houston. Up 7-0 in the 6th.

longgame

Phillies kicked butt. I love it.  I had a feeling they'd tee off when they got home.  Hope they keep it up for two more nights!

markj

Last night the 'Stros got embarrassed. Tonight it was the Phillies who looked bad. Just the second World Series no hitter ever. Phillies pitcher suffered one bad inning, but that was plenty when the team couldn't buy a hit.