GAME #121 - SATURDAY, AUGUST 20, 2022 - BOSTON RED SOX @ BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by markj, August 20, 2022, 09:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on August 20, 2022, 06:07:31 PM
Bogey has been playing as if he wishes he were elsewhere

He's a choker pure and simple and I'm surprised so many of my colleagues on this board and the other two I post on haven't been able to see it.  I have believed that the guy cannot hit in the clutch for years and we better hope he plays somewhere else next season because that is not a done deal by any means.  If any teams start looking at his LOBsters over the past decade and not the hits and  runs he scores (what the analytics geeks think are important), they will see something that should open their eyes.  Bogey might decide not to walk out of his contract because he will not get what he thinks he deserves and we will be stuck with this choker for another two or three years.  You saw him at his "best" this afternoon, three major occasions where he simply bombed out with runners on base....AS HE HAS DONE AGAIN AND AGAIN for so long.  I want this choker gone.

MongoLikeSox

I'm somewhat in agreement with you, Fred. I think he's miscast and still has value. Yes, he's choke city this year with runners in scoring position(RISP). He was in 2020, too.  Here's is 2-outs, RISP numbers for 6 seasons.

2017 - 300
2018 - 309
2019 - 292
2020 - 185
2021 - 280
2022 - 149

Bad year? Too much pressure on the big 3 this year? I dunno. Between me and you, he's never been that big bat you think of for clean-up. I think if you tell him to hit 4th, but hit within himself that he might be OK. Not great, but OK. 

Sea Dog 23

While I was sleeping, the Sox called up Franchy. WTH?? It turns out both Pham and Hosmer turned up injured.  You ask why not Casas?  The mgt. wants to delay another week to keep him a rookie. It is what it is in this crazy summer.

MongoLikeSox

They could still not bring Casas up out of Spring Training next year and delay his official CBA rookie Arbitration clock a whole other year. Very similar to what they did to Chavis. That ankle injury is going to end up costing Casas a butt-load of money.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 21, 2022, 12:03:32 AM
I'm somewhat in agreement with you, Fred. I think he's miscast and still has value. Yes, he's choke city this year with runners in scoring position(RISP). He was in 2020, too.  Here's is 2-outs, RISP numbers for 6 seasons.

2017 - 300
2018 - 309
2019 - 292
2020 - 185
2021 - 280
2022 - 149

Bad year? Too much pressure on the big 3 this year? I dunno. Between me and you, he's never been that big bat you think of for clean-up. I think if you tell him to hit 4th, but hit within himself that he might be OK. Not great, but OK.

I thought he waa worse than that but thanks for the info Mongo.  Maybe he will see it and decide to drive in a few more runs the rest of the year.

longgame

Well managing a DP with only a man on third base and 1 out is hard to do.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 21, 2022, 12:17:06 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 21, 2022, 12:03:32 AM

2017 - 300
2018 - 309
2019 - 292
2020 - 185
2021 - 280
2022 - 149

I thought he waa worse than that but thanks for the info Mongo.  Maybe he will see it and decide to drive in a few more runs the rest of the year.
Those numbers surprised me, too. Many ways. 149 so far this years takes the cake. Dang!!!