GAME #104 - MONDAY, AUGUST 1, 2022 - BOSTON RED SOX @ HOUSTON ASTROS

Started by markj, August 01, 2022, 08:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Congratulations, Fred! 52 years - veddy nice, ah! Veddy nice.  thumb_u

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: markj on August 01, 2022, 10:14:43 PM
Houck gets robbed of a game ending strike.
I was thinking, earlier in the game, that this had been one of Angel Hernandez's better games behind the plate. The very next pitch was a gift to our pitcher - about 3 ball widths off the plate for a strike. The exasperation with him is you just never know when he's gonna really screw up a call, and how bad that call is.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on August 01, 2022, 08:16:45 PM
I was just looking them up too Mongo.  Valdez was their 29th prospect and appears to have some pretty good upside.   but Abreu is a dump from them. That’s a crazy stat on the walks though. 

I wonder if they think that Hernandez isn’t coming back this year and need to at least have a professional in the OF?
I looked a little more this morning. Abreu had 12 OF Assists last year in A+ and 5 so far this year in AA. He does have 15 HRs, but combined that with 106 Ks in 411 PA or 329 AB. This is year #2 of that approach, it looks like. And 21 SB with one caught steeling? It's an unusual stat sheet. Oh, and he did a Duran style change, except that he had no good batting average prior to doing it. Duran was a 300+ BA guy before turning his swing into a power swing. Abreau was a 250's hitter with far fewer walks and K's. His OPS went from the 600's to the high 800's. He also hit more RBI in 2021 than he had in his 4 previous seasons combined.

Him in a corner spot with Rafaela in CF will give Portland a fun OF to watch. The guy playing RF right now for Portland has one heck of an arm, too. 

Sea Dog 23

The book on new guy Valdez is a plus bat, MLB potential, but he has no "defensive home". Dont know if that means he's a disaster in the field,or Astros don't know the fit, lately played 2B and 3B.  He was rated by BA as Houston's #12 in addition to the #29 ranking.  Smallishbplayer, Abreu is a big guy at 6'1. I watch too much football size and weights!

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 02, 2022, 06:49:50 AM
The book on new guy Valdez is a plus bat, MLB potential, but he has no "defensive home". Dont know if that means he's a disaster in the field,or Astros don't know the fit, lately played 2B and 3B.  He was rated by BA as Houston's #12 in addition to the #29 ranking.  Smallishbplayer, Abreu is a big guy at 6'1. I watch too much football size and weights!
I was wondering about that #29 rating enough to go look and see what Houston had above if. I looked at 1/2 dozen or so and came away from it wondering the same thing. I can see BA's #12 ranking.

longgame

On Vazquez, apparently he had some comments about Bloom and just like that he was gone.  Let's see who the Sox decide is a better catcher next year. 

On the other hand, the Sox win so let's blame their woes on Vaz - undefeated in August!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 02, 2022, 07:52:56 AM
On Vazquez, apparently he had some comments about Bloom and just like that he was gone.  Let's see who the Sox decide is a better catcher next year. 

On the other hand, the Sox win so let's blame their woes on Vaz - undefeated in August!

Glad to see JD and Nathan still will us.  Eovaldi pitched a solid game last night and should have had a six inning shutout save for the two errors. JD has been a stalwart for us for four plus years and I would love to see him finish his career in Boston, though that might be a reach knowing Bloomer Boy and Henry's stinginess in spending money on quality players, the cheap bastard.

MongoLikeSox

Indeed!  I'd say JD's been one of their better FA signings we've had in the past 10-15 years. I've always enjoyed how complete of a hitter he's been. Fenway's probably cost him 5 homers a year, but that's a small price to pay. Eovaldi's been a bag of injuries, but has been easy to root for. He's also not been our most injured pitcher. I was glad to see him get that 4-year deal.