GAME #79 - SUNDAY, JULY 3, 2022 - BOSTON RED SOX @ CHICAGO CUBS

Started by markj, July 03, 2022, 09:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Diekman is really fun to watch when he's on. Good for him.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 03, 2022, 05:56:26 PM

The second straight series we salvaged the final game of a three game series, Toronto and Chicago.  Is this a trend like early in the season when we would win the first game of a series and then lose the next two?  Well we needed a win and luckily got one, but I was shaking in my pants when we got those runs in the 11th inning because guess who I thought Cora was going to put in the game to pitch?  Fortunately for all of us here he didn't, but the fact remains that even though I am very pleased we won  the game what comes now?  We have to play much better from here on in because we are not playing poor teams.  Devers, Martinez and Bogaerts must start hitting big time from here on, and the latter one must start showing that he can drive in runs when presented the opportunity and not hit into twin killings as he seems to have become proficient at.  Of course, we have many players who have gotten into that habit too, haven't we?  Well at least we can breath easier the rest of the day and hope we hear news that Cora's pet Robles has either been DFA's or released by tomorrow because we cannot allow that guy to get anywhere near  the mound unless we are either ten runs ahead or ten  runs behind.

longgame

10 runs against a bad team in a 3 game series is pathetic.  Seems like we had this problem last year where the offense would be hot and then disappear at the drop of a hat.  Thinking of last year’s ALCS as a perfect example.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on July 03, 2022, 07:20:02 PM
10 runs against a bad team in a 3 game series is pathetic.  Seems like we had this problem last year where the offense would be hot and then disappear at the drop of a hat.  Thinking of last year’s ALCS as a perfect example.

Yes Ted I remember that ALCS meltdown those last three games and I still can't figure out how a team can go from blazing hot to frigid cold within one game.

MongoLikeSox

It's almost as if the big 3/4 started pressing again. If they're true to form, today will bring out a bunch of smart hitting.

Last year was frustrating as it could be because the entire line-up was trying to go yard on every pitch. This year it's just Story, mostly.

The GIDP and other forms of LOB'sters is as much to blame for the 2-4 finish to this road trip as the Core/Robles bromance.

A curious move in this game, too, betting on Houck to get us into extras instead of saving him the any potential road save. Whatever - it worked this time.

I think someone finally convinced Vasquez he ain't no Johnny Wheels out there. No he's gotta learn when he can go and not go all over again. I hope he does better this time around.  ;D

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 03, 2022, 06:55:44 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 03, 2022, 05:56:26 PM

The second straight series we salvaged the final game of a three game series, Toronto and Chicago.  Is this a trend like early in the season when we would win the first game of a series and then lose the next two?  Well we needed a win and luckily got one, but I was shaking in my pants when we got those runs in the 11th inning because guess who I thought Cora was going to put in the game to pitch?  Fortunately for all of us here he didn't, but the fact remains that even though I am very pleased we won  the game what comes now?  We have to play much better from here on in because we are not playing poor teams.  Devers, Martinez and Bogaerts must start hitting big time from here on, and the latter one must start showing that he can drive in runs when presented the opportunity and not hit into twin killings as he seems to have become proficient at.  Of course, we have many players who have gotten into that habit too, haven't we?  Well at least we can breath easier the rest of the day and hope we hear news that Cora's pet Robles has either been DFA's or released by tomorrow because we cannot allow that guy to get anywhere near  the mound unless we are either ten runs ahead or ten  runs behind.
That lineup seems so screwy right now. If we plan on using Duran, and assuming he gets on base, Bogie would to well to batting 2ND see more fastballs. Have Devers protect him, and keeps Duran running instead of worrying about taking the bad out of Devers' hand. There's so much good that can come from this.

Bogey is on a slower RBI pace than last season where he totaled 79 in 144 games.

Who knows, maybe Kike is batting lead-off again in 2 weeks when he comes back? That'll raise some nation anger unless Duran is on a massive slump.

I could have saved some time and simply responded with an "agreed" on your points, Fred.  :D