GAME #18 - TUESDAY, APRIL 26, 2022 - BOSTON RED SOX @ TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Started by markj, April 26, 2022, 07:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoSoxFanNY

A true tease in the 8th inning.
FINALLY scored some runs.
Really thought we might win this game . . .
Only for the bullpen to blow the game with two outs
in the 9th inning (I know we lost in the 10th .  .)

The Starting Pitchers are doing their jobs.
WTF?????

So sad watching this team.

MongoLikeSox

Brasier and Diekman have WHIP's over 2.0. Crawford is sporting a 2.42.
There is nobody out there right now. Davis - our #4 depth-chart(in my mind) Lefty in the pen when Taylor ges ready.  These guys are scuffling just like the offense is scuffling.
Josh Taylor isn't close yet. Worcester is giving up runs by the bushel.

As far as Venable goes, yes, we could second guess till the cows come home. Eck said it best. Nothing is working. My bigger problem with him is that he is a no-show when his players are getting screwed over by the HP ump. Right now, on borderline pitches, Veneble is the path of least resistance. Cora would be yelling at them to wake up and get in the game or whatever it is he says. It's almost as painful as these late any inning leads we've been plundering.

Sea Dog 23

Looking back, the Sox are in decline because of off-season moves by Bloom.
When faced with holes in the outfield by trading Renfroe for JBJ, letting Schwarber walk, Bloom went on the cheap by repositioning Arroyo (.182 avg), while not hotly pursuing Suzuki (hitting .327), Castellanos (.313).  Our other batters have come down to earth after an above average 2021, likely unsustainable.

The pitching -- the moves made before the lockout were not worthy of a big market club wanting to compete in a tough ALE.

elktonnick

My problem with the Red Sox is their entire philosophical approach towards pitching.  They over manage and under utilize their pitchers.  Instead of this constant changing pitchers every three batters or not stretching starters they manage by algorithms.  Try managing in response to what is actually happening on the field instead of by some prescripted formula.

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 27, 2022, 07:15:49 AM
When faced with holes in the outfield by trading Renfroe for JBJ, letting Schwarber walk, Bloom went on the cheap by repositioning Arroyo (.182 avg), while not hotly pursuing Suzuki (hitting .327), Castellanos (.313).  Our other batters have come down to earth after an above average 2021, likely unsustainable.

The pitching -- the moves made before the lockout were not worthy of a big market club wanting to compete in a tough ALE.

Yup!!!

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 27, 2022, 07:15:49 AM

Couldn’t have said it better myself.  Of course, we all did say this while Bloom slept through the offseason.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on April 27, 2022, 07:21:25 AM
My problem with the Red Sox is their entire philosophical approach towards pitching.  They over manage and under utilize their pitchers.  Instead of this constant changing pitchers every three batters or not stretching starters they manage by algorithms.  Try managing in response to what is actually happening on the field instead of by some prescripted formula.

I’d start with throwing strikes.  I can’t stand to see another reliever walking the first guy he sees. But you’re right and we see the effects of it.  They underuse their starters when they are going well, putting pressure on the bullpen, which isn’t very good.