GAME #9 - SUNDAY, APRIL 17, 2022 - MINNESOTA TWINS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, April 16, 2022, 11:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on April 17, 2022, 06:46:31 PM
I am digging some of their recent situational hitting. Line drives up the pike with 2 strikes. What, 4 sac flies in two days? Good for them. I hope it's a trend.

Good points Mongo and forgive me for being remiss on bringing this up myself.  It was nice to see us cash in the sixth with two clutch SAC flies to break the scoreless deadlock.  More of that might go a long way in a tough division.  Very early sure, but it doesn't seem any team in the AL has been able to jump out ahead by two or three games so that means we can be in this thing if we be consistent on both ends of the game---defense and offense.  Still, though, I would love to be able to get one more good starting pitcher for our club.  The bullpen so far has held their own, but, yes, it is very early and what need to hope for is more consistency and improvement-----like how about  starting the new week off with a  win tomorrow on Patriot's Day.

longgame

I am digging some of their recent situational hitting. Line drives up the pike with 2 strikes. What, 4 sac flies in two days? Good for them. I hope it's a trend.

I listened to most of the game in the car and they were commenting on how Cora had said we need to be hitting more up the middle and the team responded.   Heck of a win yesterday with a close game until the 8th and then batting around. 

I'm with Fred, there's something about Brasier even though his numbers always seem to look better than what I see with my eyes.  He seems to be one of those guys who lets in inherited runners with great frequency.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on April 18, 2022, 08:07:54 AM

I listened to most of the game in the car and they were commenting on how Cora had said we need to be hitting more up the middle and the team responded.   Heck of a win yesterday with a close game until the 8th and then batting around. 

I'm with Fred, there's something about Brasier even though his numbers always seem to look better than what I see with my eyes.  He seems to be one of those guys who lets in inherited runners with great frequency.

As far as the hitting up the middle, if you're a pull hitter and can't learn to hit the open spots in a shift, you're failing your ball club.  Tampa hitters have been winning games of late by beating the shift.
Brasier was reported to be working on his mechanics a couple weeks ago.  His fastball velocity is down to about 93, off from 97 prox in 2020.  Last year he was lost for most of the season until the Sept games.  We've got a couple of guys who can throw heat, but have little command and are down in AAA for too many years.  A Cincy guy Hunter Greene, the other day recorded 39 pitches over 100.

MongoLikeSox

I've been mixed on Brasier. Decent enough numbers overall, but can certainly get hit. I think he had a good year when his stuff matched his determination. Other than that, though, Maybe a back up set-up man role at the most. When the others are tired, but we don't need a bed-wetter in there.