ALCS GAME # 6 - FRIDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ HOUSTON ASTROS

Started by markj, October 22, 2021, 10:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

MongoLikeSox

over-managing. Simple as that. If he had a bench - ahem mr bloom - filled with quality major leaguers, maybe. Nope. Not a chance. We went into this series with Santana-Shaw-Plawecki and half of the 1b "platoon". He's playing match-up hitters with nothing.

Wasted a PH opportunity for Vazquez (our contact hitter) by sending in Santana(a nothing) to sub in for Plawecki (a contact hitter, btw)

And now dalbec for Renfro. I pitchers can do what Bobby's about to do.

Let the who's gonna play where game begin.

Dalbec didn't K!!!!   ah, screw it!!!

markj

Why, why, why do Sox batters look at soooo many strikes and then K on balls way out of the strike zone? More than any other team, they seem to do it most often.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: markj on October 22, 2021, 10:06:18 PM
Why, why, why do Sox batters look at soooo many strikes and then K on balls way out of the strike zone? More than any other team, they seem to do it most often.
There's just so much to talk about with this disaster it ain't even funny.

markj

Perez aside, the pitching hasn't been bad the last 3 games. But the offense has been atrocious. Pitiful, even. Throw in some defensive snafus and you get to where we're at now.

markj

MongoLikeSox

Well, fwiw, I agree with you. It has been good pitching for the most part. Can't do it on their own.

No matter what happens, these guys got a lot further than I ever would have thought at any point in the season, and it was due to Houck/Pivetta/Whitlock throwing some big middle-late innings relief that bailed out an awful bullpen. Add some good starting pitching and 4 really good innings with the bats. Gotta tip our hats to these kids for a whole bunch of over-achieving. 

markj

Agreed. I thought sure they'd lose to the Yankees, so everything since then has been gravy. It's just a shame they folded after such a promising start to this series.

markj

Season over. Please note that I will be stepping away from the board until spring. I have some other projects that I need to complete. I don't care who wins the WS now. I'll read about it after it's done. Sox did better than I expected, so I'll go with that until next year.

longgame

Ottavino got you your bang Mark.

There will be talk about Houston’s great pitching, but the fact is it didn’t matter who came out there as they didn’t hit for 3 games.  This was a pathetic hitting performance, punctuated by some terrible relief pitching.

I can’t fault Cora’s moves too much although Verdugo wasn’t the guy to take off there.  Smoltz pointed out his bad lead and jump.  But I’m sure at that point Cora was desperate and felt he had to try something.  If Shaw hit a 3R HR we’d be praising his managerial moves.

I just can’t get over that they went out with such a whimper, especially after games 2 and 3.  They basically played past their level and came back to earth. 

MongoLikeSox

Mark, we'll see you next Spring. Enjoy the off season.

Look, this team had a ton of holes in it with the guys we had out there were short handed. They were fun to watch and likeable, and yes, exasperating to watch at times, too. But, they got this deep against more complete teams. Way to go!!!! Good year and I'm proud of them. They can hold their heads high in my book.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on October 23, 2021, 12:25:25 AM
Mark, we'll see you next Spring. Enjoy the off season.

Look, this team had a ton of holes in it with the guys we had out there were short handed. They were fun to watch and likeable, and yes, exasperating to watch at times, too. But, they got this deep against more complete teams. Way to go!!!! Good year and I'm proud of them. They can hold their heads high in my book.

The final was not a real surprise, the pitching has been a questionmark all year, the batters were a lot of platoon/bench players in their past, but were great most of the post-season  Kike' probably carried the Fenway faithful with his spirit, but now the fans will be lost in the off-season.  I guess this outcome coming up short keeps MGT. and Bloom still hungry for better players than if they had won the whole thing.  It's probably a long off-season with the CBA agreement standing in the way.

Thanks for everything, Mark.  See you in a few months.  I can't believe November is almost here.

Bill-806

Quote from: Bill-806 on October 22, 2021, 05:21:18 PM
AS DAD WOULD SAY , "SON, WIN OR GO HOME" !!!! thumb_u iono iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
WITH A HEAVY HEART .......... I GUESS WE WERE A BIT SHY OF OUR 8 RUNS !!!!   I CAN HEAR DAD NOW , " WELL SON, WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR " !!!!  LET THE "TALK" BEGIN !!!!!!! iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on October 22, 2021, 08:57:29 PM
Santana is in? Really? Is Cora intentionally trying to lose this game?

I noticed that right off markj.  Cora has his favorites; I think everyone knows that by now and if we want to see bums like Santana and Perez and Richards and Cordero gone next year Bloom has to step in and tell Cora these bums are gone and unless you want to keep them company just accept that.  Then, again. who knows what's coming.  Still markj, I always knew that it could end like this, sorry to say.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on October 22, 2021, 10:39:41 PM
Season over. Please note that I will be stepping away from the board until spring. I have some other projects that I need to complete. I don't care who wins the WS now. I'll read about it after it's done. Sox did better than I expected, so I'll go with that until next year.

Have a great winter markj and come back fresh in the Spring.  I was amazed how angry you could get on the board but I fully understand.  My highlight of the season was that WC game when we dispatch the Yankees back to the Bronx.  That and eliminating the 100 win Rays were the things we'll remember this season for..  Santana, French Fry and Perez are those best forgotten and hopefully never come in contact with again.  Take care my friend.