ALCS GAME # 5 - WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2021 - HOUSTON ASTROS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, October 20, 2021, 08:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

markj

This is going to turn into another rout like last night. Sox have given up an average of just over 5 runs per game in this series. They only won a couple games because of the big offense numbers. Now that the bats have died, they're toast. And they still are screwing up on defense.

longgame

Now Brasier giving it up too.  How sad to see them fall apart as quickly as they took charge of this series.  About 10 innings of great baseball and the rest has been sad.

markj

Sox have seen Valdez enough that they should have figured out how to hit him by now. But still only 2 hits this game.

longgame

Ever since E-Rod tapped his wrist and gave the Astros some motivation, this series has turned completely in a different direction.  Maybe he meant “time’s up for us”, or “time for us to mail it in”. 

What’s really sad is that they played like this leading up to the end of the season - sloppy fielding, crappy pitching, bad luck, terrible plate appearances, etc. - and it looked like they had broken out of it and were back to the team at the beginning of the season.  What a shame.

elktonnick

Renfrew has been a major disappointment this post season.  He has not played well on defense or offense.

MongoLikeSox

It's a cycle with this group. They had to get their winkies slapped by Baltimore to wake up. and they've been riding up and down since. Swing like crazed gorillas and get on a bad roll before they wake up as a team and start getting smart ABs.

Kind of sucks to see that playoff magic Manager wand go limp. Baseball is a great equalizer.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: elktonnick on October 20, 2021, 06:44:51 PM
Renfrew has been a major disappointment this post season.  He has not played well on defense or offense.
Man, I thought he was turning the corner. Today? poof!

elktonnick

OMG  Cora brought Perez in to pitch the 9th.  He is waving the white flag on this game.

markj

Perez again. Cora has either thrown in the towel on this game and is saving his BP arms, or he is a complete moron.

markj

BoSoxFanNY

Just a few days ago it seemed like the Sox were peaking at just the right time.
Pitching, offense, defense - so much fun to watch.  It seemed like we were watching
the Red Sox team from the first half of the season.

AND then, yesterday, October 19 - the light switch turned off.

WTF???????

BEFORE this playoffs - I was glad that the Red Sox secured the Wild Card
spot with a win against the Yankees.
I thought the Rays and Astros were the better teams.
Then, Our Sox BEAT the Rays.
Games 2 and 3 with the Grand Slams and offense was so much
fun to watch.
AND now . . .

JUST when I thought this team just might go to the World Series
and win it all.
Yesterday and today the air has been let out of the tires.

I am stunned . . . just stunned by this turn of events.

Let's see what happens in Houston.
Hopefully the Sox can find their bats.

Sea Dog 23

Really a total downer to see the Fenway games end this way.  But I’ll credit Valdez for pitching a gem, never lost command.  There will always be a caveat for me to this season.  Mgt. was never all in on the roster in the off-season.  Left field for example.  It took them most of the year to figure out how to replace #16 Beni.  All the time in FA Brantley was available, big hits this series, and Eddie Rosario, who will likey be the MVP of the LA-ATL series.

But however they do in Houston, I’m amazed how well they’ve done with what they started with.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 21, 2021, 04:54:14 AM
Really a total downer to see the Fenway games end this way.  But I’ll credit Valdez for pitching a gem, never lost command.  There will always be a caveat for me to this season.  Mgt. was never all in on the roster in the off-season.  Left field for example.  It took them most of the year to figure out how to replace #16 Beni.  All the time in FA Brantley was available, big hits this series, and Eddie Rosario, who will likey be the MVP of the LA-ATL series.

But however they do in Houston, I’m amazed how well they’ve done with what they started with.
Well said. I could not agree more.

There is a big list of silver linings coming from this post season run. From this season, too.

Bill-806

WE SEEM TO HAVE BETTER RESULTS WHENWE SCORE 8 RUNS !!!!   NOT GOOD BOYS & GIRLS ..... ON THE ROAD FOR ONE OR TWO GAMES !!!  GET THE GOLF CLUBS READY !!! thumb_d iono iono sigh sigh sigh rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl