Quote from: markj on October 20, 2021, 08:24:56 AM
5:08PM Eastern

Red Sox

Chris Sale (L)

Astros

Framber Valdez (L)

Gametime Temp: 67°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

Let's be blunt about this.  Sale owes Red Sox fans a great pitching performance for a change, he owes his team that as well, and also himself.  He has pitched shitty the last few times out and we need him today.  It would also be nice for the hitters to come out of the deep freeze and look like a team that can hit after last night's shitty performance at the plate.  And Alex must make damn sure that shithead Perez doesn't come within 200 feet of the pitching rubber tonight or any other night that we play in for the rest of the season.  Last night we looked like crap and thought we could hold serve as we did the first game of this series.  It didn't work then, it didn't work last night and it won't work this afternoon unless we can go out and score six or seven runs.  Wake the hell up team.

longgame

Right on Fred.  Sale needs to step up and deliver while the Sox bats need to pull it together and not strand so many guys.  0-9 with RISP yesterday and 11 left on base. 

Also, for the first time Cora's moves didn't work and he made at least one really bad one.  Not sure why Eovaldi needed to be out there for instance, but it would have been dramatic if they held them.  I think Pivetta could have gone another inning.  But why and in what world did Cora think to bring in Martin Perez with the game on the line?

longgame

Glad they're keeping Maldonado in the lineup.  Siri, who is playing CF for the Astros?  rofl

Bill-806

"VICTORY GOES TO THOSE WHO WANT IT THE MOST , WANT IT THE LONGEST " !!!!!!    (COL. JIMMY DOLITTLE ) thumb_u thumb_u thumb_u iono iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

MongoLikeSox

I've been whincing at every first pitch all week. I could go the rest of the month watching backwards pitching.

Sea Dog 23

Looks like Astros have their pitching figured out. We need to blast one out of the park in the 3rd.

MongoLikeSox

Yeah, theirs looks normal. Ours just threw the hardest he has in what, 40 months? I'll surprised to see him back out. Nice way to shut that little rally off before it got rolling.  thumb_u

markj

Dusty Baker and his crew obviously watched some videos and made adjustments. It appears the Sox haven't noticed yet. You can't win with only 2 runs in 13 innings (and counting). Again, the pitching has been keeping them in the game, but the lack of run support does not bode well for their upcoming trip to Houston.

markj

Raffy finally gets the Sox' first hit. Then JD gets plunked. 2 on, no outs. Here comes a GIDP.

markj

What'd I tell you? They're soooo predictable. Renfroe has been useless with a bat in his hands.

markj

I have the same feeling I had when they got swept by the Yanks at the end of the regular season. This team just doesn't have what it takes. Then suddenly they do for a few games, and then it all goes away again. It's maddening.

longgame

markj

Now the Keystone Kops are back. Dead bats, crappy defense. This is the lousy Sox team we've seen so many times this season. 

longgame

I think the magic ride is over.  It’s like the offense went out like a light and now I just have a sinking feeling about the pen the rest of the way in this one.  Meanwhile we somehow changed our approach to Valdez and letting him do his thing.  What happened to patience at the plate?

One other thing, but can Smoltz just shut up for a minute, take a breath, sip some water?  It’s clear he hated pitching in Fenway and it showed, but god he prattles on endlessly.