WC GAME - TUESDAY, OCTOBER 5, 2021 - NEW YORK YANKEES @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, October 04, 2021, 09:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

I see that JDM and his bum foot are out of this game.  Not good, but our nemesis Lemahieu is also out.  Writers I've seen give the Yanks the edge due to pitching down through their stocked bullpen which is now healthy, except for Brittain.  But a Yahoo writer gave the Sox the edge because they will use their starters like ERod, Pivetta, Sale (?) in relief.

longgame

Sale is not on the roster for this game. 

To repeat - the two highest paid members of the Red Sox team will not play in this game.

Interesting tidbit that will make Fred happy - Santana (who is not on the roster) has a great record against Cole. 

BoSoxFanNY

I just want our BoSox to BEAT the Yankees tonight.

I hope that our Sox can pull out the win, yet fear that
the Yankees are a better team at the moment.

HOPING for a well pitched game, solid defense and offense!
AND no bullpen implosion . . .

GO SOX!

MongoLikeSox

It was too late for Santana, I think. The rehab assignment was unimpressive on paper.

I would never have expected Sale to be part of any bullpen solution this post season. Not even an all hands on deck game-7 scenario unless the rest was long enough.

I sure hope that if Duran is used for running that he is of better frame of mind than the big stint here this Summer. He looked very hesitant at times. I could say the same for his fielding at time.

To me, the only questions i have for tonight would be 1B and Catcher. I like they added Wong so that they could use both of the others as needed.

SeaBeachFred

The baseball experts and pundits all seem to believe the Yankees should be favorites tonight and I agree, but I also think that if Alex Cora stays within himself and manages as he did in 2018 he will give us the edge in the dugout---and we   take advantage of that.  Alex has to hold course and not try and be the smartest man in the universe.  We have lost six straight to the Yankees and that's for them.  We are playing at Fenway which is for us.  We simply have to go out there and outplay the New Yorkers.  It won't be easy but if the team plays a  real good and smart game we have a chance to win this one.  Of course, without JDM in there we will have to depend on Xander to be a first or second option offensively tonight and he has failed miserably in that role over the years.  Schwarb, Verdugo. Rafael and the rest must pick up the slack and do whatever is needed to pull the game out tonight.  I think we can do it.

longgame

This is Devers' team now.  Bogey has to step up in big situations though too.  Way too many GIDP and Ks by Bogey which is unlike him as he has maintained his average and some pop.  I expect Schwarber to be all in but he and Verdugo have the same problem, I think they get overexcited for the big moments.  If they can keep within themselves they can do some damage. Renfroe should contribute, I think we've all come to like that guy.  The rest of them need to not make mistakes - let's work on getting the bottom of the order out so that the Yankees don't have men on when Judge and Stanton come up and let's not pretend that we didn't commit the most errors in the AL this year.

It's getting to the part of the day on a baseball playoff day when it gets hard to work.

longgame

Mark, do you archive the offseason threads?  I know we all had made some predictions on win totals, I think most of us were in the 70-80 range.  Would be fun to take a look.

Sea Dog 23

Myself, I went for 80 wins.  Murph was at 78 I think, about the time was signed Richards, and Barnes and Ottavino were the only bullpen guys available.   iono

longgame

Interesting lineup with Schwarber hitting 1st, I guess without the righty Martinez in the middle of the order and the way Cora likes to do the L - R - L thing pushes them to this. 

markj

Quote from: longgame on October 05, 2021, 01:37:52 PM
Mark, do you archive the offseason threads?  I know we all had made some predictions on win totals, I think most of us were in the 70-80 range.  Would be fun to take a look.

I don't. I only archive the game threads.

orwell

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 04, 2021, 03:29:23 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 04, 2021, 12:45:09 PM
Looking at the battery, Eovaldi has had better success throwing to Plaweki this season than to Vaz.
3.50 ERA, 2.49 FIP, .651 OPS vs. (with Vaz) 4.77 ERA, 3.47 FIP, .766 OPS.

The Sox really do not have anybody to cover for Arroyo if he has to leave the game.  If Sale or another pitcher is deactivated, who do they bring up?  They could call up Arauz for infield depth and a pinch runner if it's a tight game in the 8th or 9th, Duran could serve as well.  But if they make a couple roster changes, they might have to DFA a player or two.  I'm sure there's another plan B if they beat the Yankees on Tuesday.

Cora doesn't see anything in the catching department but the fact that Vazquez, who I think calls a shitty game for our team, is a fellow countryman while Plawecki is not so CV will be behind the plate no matter what so let's hope he has one of his real good games on both fronts.  I just hope Alex is at his best in the dugout and the team rises to the occasion.  Maybe this will be the time that the Red Sox say that they can beat the Yankees when they  have to and no residue of hesitation or fear still permates the ball club.  Gosh, I sure hope so.
That is the spirit Fred. Sleeper heroes are Dalbec and Vazquez if he plays.

markj

Good to see Remdawg, oxygen tank notwithstanding. I unmuted the broadcast for that part only.

BoSoxFanNY

ESPN has the Yankees winning.

HOPE our Sox proves them wrong.

GO SOX!

MongoLikeSox

markj