GAME #159 - THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by markj, September 30, 2021, 08:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

I hope the Shaw experiment is over after this season. At least the O's felt sorry for the Sox and gave us a freebie run.

markj

longgame

Another pathetic performance.  Bad pitching, weak hitting, I just don’t get it.  The way the Orioles starters have looked against the Sox you’d think they were a contending team.  Ill give them credit that they didn’t walk many guys. 

Just now the Sox hit into yet another DP. 

This has been such a painful second half of a season.

longgame

I’m guessing the Jays will beat the crap out of Baltimore this weekend.

elktonnick

Quote from: markj on September 30, 2021, 08:26:27 PM
Xander with 2 GIDPs tonight.

Worse, the pitcher walks the batter before him on 5 pitches so instead of waiting for his pitch he swings at the first pitch and hits a routine grounder to third.  Not smart baseball IMO

markj

Yankees look like they'll beat the Jays, so if I'm reading this right, the Sox and Jays will be out of the WC and Seattle will hold the second slot after this game?

markj

Schloicka

SeaBeachFred

If tonight didn't convince one and all that our team is not deserving of any playoff berth nothing will convince you and those of you who still feel the gate to the playoffs is still open in living in a fool's paradise.  There must be a thorough housecleaning this winter otherwise we will see shit like this type of play next season as well.  More on that over the next couple of weeks, but one ting is certain.  The housecleaning must start with Cora being sent out of town.

markj

From another forum I'm on. Not sure where the user sourced this, but it clearly defines the difference between the Mariners and the Sox at this point in the season.

QuoteThis is what distinguishes the Mariners: They have been outlandishly good at hitting when the moment is biggest. Overall, Seattle’s offense is a lowly 26th in OPS this season, batting a collective .226/.302/.386 for a .688 mark. Even adjusting for park, their output ranks just 20th. But in high-leverage situations (broadly, moments where the outcome of the game is most up for deciding), the 2021 Mariners morph into the league’s best lineup. In these key situations, which often entail facing the best pitchers the other team has to offer, they have an MLB-leading .833 OPS.

Over and over again, baseball researchers have failed to find any true skill or repeatability in players or teams who step up their games in decisive at-bats â€" the phenomenon is often fleeting, or clustered by happenstance. But given the choice of how to spread out a limited amount of possible production, this is how you’d do it!

This degree of clutch performance â€" which compares how they play in big moments to their own norms â€" is unprecedented. They hit like Cesar Hernandez as a whole, but like Jose Altuve when it matters most. By Baseball-Reference’s calculations, the Mariners are on pace to be the most clutch lineup of all-time.

Sea Dog 23

Yes, the Mariners aren't household names, but they get the job done.  There is only one name on the roster I recognize, Kyle Seager, as I saw him play a couply years in college ball.  But you have to hand it to the Seattle GM for some important trades at the deadline with Pirates and Houston, Graveman for a good bat in Toro and a starting pitcher in Anderson.  The new players are valued in the $500k range.

"The Seattle Mariners dealt right-handed pitchers Kendall Graveman and Rafael Montero to the Houston Astros in exchange for infielder Abraham Toro and right-handed pitcher Joe Smith. Then they dealt a couple of prospects for starter Tyler Anderson from the Pirates."

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 30, 2021, 10:34:00 PM
If tonight didn't convince one and all that our team is not deserving of any playoff berth nothing will convince you and those of you who still feel the gate to the playoffs is still open in living in a fool's paradise.  There must be a thorough housecleaning this winter otherwise we will see shit like this type of play next season as well.  More on that over the next couple of weeks, but one ting is certain.  The housecleaning must start with Cora being sent out of town.
DATS A  B I N G O !!!!  PAINFUL, PAINFUL, PAINFUL !!!  W GET A HOMERUN ON THE 1ST PITCH OF THE GAME & ONLY SCORE ONE MORE ALONG THE WAY ??????  AGREE, CLEAN THEM OUT , NOW GRASSHOPPER !!!! thumb_d thumb_d thumb_d iono iono sigh sigh sigh rofl rofl

longgame

Funny how these no-names come up big in big situations for the Mariners yet our All Stars routinely hit into double plays or pop up while swinging for the fences (sometimes on 3-0 counts no less).

Maybe Bloom was on to something by not investing in this team and he'll blow the whole damn lot of them up.  This is a team that has consistently underperformed over the past 3 months.  Night after nigh.  Every big situation they wilt.  One way or another this will all be over soon.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on October 01, 2021, 08:01:17 AM
Funny how these no-names come up big in big situations for the Mariners yet our All Stars routinely hit into double plays or pop up while swinging for the fences (sometimes on 3-0 counts no less).

Maybe Bloom was on to something by not investing in this team and he'll blow the whole damn lot of them up.  This is a team that has consistently underperformed over the past 3 months.  Night after nigh.  Every big situation they wilt.  One way or another this will all be over soon.

Cora could send a long needed message to the team tonight by sitting both choker Bogaerts and slumping soon-to-be- departed Martinez on the pine.  BUT HE WON'T DO THIS because he thinks they will come through for him after game after game of failure especially by Bogaerts who should NEVER be given another contract by our team and should be traded out of town as soon as possible.   Tonight you play Iglesias at short and put Arroyo at second and keep the outfield in tact.  We may get a win out of that.  Otherwise, another big "L".  The team needs a shaken up badly and you don't get it by playing Bogaerts who has hit about 100 in the last dozen or so games.