GAME #158 - WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by markj, September 29, 2021, 09:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 30, 2021, 05:42:47 AM
Late in the night Mariners won their game with A’s for the sweep to stay 1/2 game behind Sox.  The gurus are saying 92 wins to make AL playoffs. Sox and M’s have 89, Jays 88. On the weekend Sox-Nats, Jays-O’s, M’s at home with Angels.  Of note Sale could pitch Sunday for Sox and Angels have said they will not pitch Ohtani against Mariners as scheduled.

Jays probably need to beat Yanks today to stay in the chase. Sox play 4 more games, M’s 3 more. Looks like it’s going to the wire.

I think the Sox need to win the remaining 4.  4 teams in the race (Oakland pretty much out of it now), 2 slots.  Apparently Sale is set to pitch Sunday if they haven't clinched or in whatever the next game is. If he goes Sunday, then of course Eovaldi starts the next game - playoff or play-in.

I thought they were going to blow this one when they couldn't get anything going against a bad pitcher.  3 DPs didn't help.  But at least they came alive late and somehow they didn't give up any runs. 

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on September 29, 2021, 08:17:36 PM
Why  Brasier walks the leadoff guy a 190 hitter.  Why do Sox relievers constantly walk the leadoff batter.

It's uncanny.  The odds are against them randomly walking the first guy they face out of the bullpen time after time. 

orwell

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 29, 2021, 11:45:36 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 29, 2021, 05:10:21 PM
Quote from: orwell on September 29, 2021, 03:50:03 PM
While my wife and Fred are justifiably annoyed at Cora and some of the team, I'm hanging in with the Sox because they have a great chance to make it in a one game playoff against the Yankees.

And then you have to be all in on the Sox don't you?

The Blue Jays need to win a lot to catch the Red Sox if the Red Sox bats get going and they are able to put games out of reach to 'buffer' the bullpen.
What the frig is going on with Bogarts and company? We just don't see enough of the team here in Canada to get a sense. Lucky we are members of this community to get the scoop.

Orwell,  there’s some talk around that Bogaerts, a Boras client, may be looking to test Free Agency next year for Lindor/Machado $$numbers and number of years. Bloom may not wait that one out.

Let's move Bogaerts out after this season.  He does not drive in enough runs, is a crappy fielder and possesses no leadership skills at all.   Kiss him goodbye to or we will regret it.  There are better SS out there in free agency and I would take any of them over this guy.
Can probably pick up Semien on a shorter term contract, who seems to want to play shortstop while our 1st round draft learns the ropes, Semien would be happy to stay in the AL East.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 30, 2021, 08:10:54 AM
Quote from: elktonnick on September 29, 2021, 08:17:36 PM
Why  Brasier walks the leadoff guy a 190 hitter.  Why do Sox relievers constantly walk the leadoff batter.

It's uncanny.  The odds are against them randomly walking the first guy they face out of the bullpen time after time.

The pitching coach is asleep at the wheel.  He needs to get a stationary batter up there in the bullpen and have these dork relievers fire away in a 8th or 9th inning situation so they finally get in the habit of throwing and pounding the strike zone.   There is no damn reason for these guys  to constantly walk the first batter they face.  And to me it is malfeasance on the part of the pitching coach.  This problem should have been resolved long ago.