GAME #155 - SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2021 - NEW YORK YANKEES @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, September 25, 2021, 09:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 25, 2021, 06:30:54 PM
Is Taylor injured? I'm still searching for the why part. No sense at all.

Why?  Mongo, you're an astute baseball man but you do not want to see the obvious. Cora has his favorites and he plays them and tries to build them up.   Darwizon has been boasted about by Cora since ST and is one of his favorites just as stinkpot Marwin Gonzales and Dennis Santana were.  HE PLAYS FAVORITES PERIOD!!!!!.  I SAW THIS AS EARLY AS MAY OR JUNE AND AM SURPRISED NO ONE ELSE HAS SEEN IT.  THEN AGAIN, IT IS TO BIZARRE TO EVEN BELIEVE SOM ETHING LIKE THAT HAPPENS WITH A MAJOR LEAGUE MANAGER.  IF WE BLOW THIS WC BERTH (AND IFWE LOSE TOMORROW I WILL BE PULLING FOR THAT) IT IS THE ONLY WAY WE CAN GET RID OF CORA.  EVERY ONE HERE KNOWS i NEVER WANTED THE FILTHY CHEATER BACK ATTHE HELM BUT  HERE HE IS.  MAYBE PRUNE FACE WILL NOW SEE WHAT A STUBORN AND CON CEITED BUM THIS GUY IS.  HE HAS TO GO.  I WANT HIM GONE.

BoSoxFanNY

Didn't watch the game -
glad I didn't.

WTF?????
The Sox had the chance to bury the Yankees this weekend.
AND, NO!
CRAP!

I was hoping for at least ONE game this weekend and hoping for TWO wins.
NOW, I am begging for one win.

LAST NIGHT, the Yankees crushed the starting pitching
and today they beat the bullpen.

The Sox had the chance to control their own destiny.

CRAP.
Just when I was being drawn back, getting excited that this team might be able
to make a playoff run - I have been kicked in the gut again.

markj

Boston Globe on Taylor:

QuoteJosh Taylor likely would have been Cora’s first choice. But he wasn’t available because of a sore back.

Sea Dog 23

I didnt see the game, but I ran across this observation.  In the second part of the season the heart of our lineup  has flat out crapped out when facing Yankee pitching.  They have us scouted well, and we just haven't performed at all.

Sox have averaged 3 runs per game, second half on NYY

Raffi 8 for 40 - .200, 3 HR, 9 RBI

Bogey 6 for 34 - .176, 1 HR, 4 RBI

JD 7 for 37, .189, 1 HR, 1 RBI

Whatever Corey does with managing the bullpen, the lack of producing runs puts the margin for error for the pitching so thin, that every mistake, errors, bobbles, walks become really magnified. 

Bill-806

Quote from: longgame on September 25, 2021, 05:37:20 PM
Whatever the pitching coaching staff is doing with the bullpen, it's not working.  The Sox need to find a way to end this plague of relievers who can't throw strikes.  Houck the latest casualty of this illness.
OR GET 8 RUNS A GAME !!!!! PITCHING, PITCHING, PITCHING !!!! thumb_d thumb_d thumb_d iono iono iono sigh sigh sigh

Bill-806

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 26, 2021, 05:12:46 AM
I didnt see the game, but I ran across this observation.  In the second part of the season the heart of our lineup  has flat out crapped out when facing Yankee pitching.  They have us scouted well, and we just haven't performed at all.

Sox have averaged 3 runs per game, second half on NYY

Raffi 8 for 40 - .200, 3 HR, 9 RBI

Bogey 6 for 34 - .176, 1 HR, 4 RBI

JD 7 for 37, .189, 1 HR, 1 RBI

Whatever Corey does with managing the bullpen, the lack of producing runs puts the margin for error for the pitching so thin, that every mistake, errors, bobbles, walks become really magnified.
GET YOUR TICKETS READY FOR THE RE-RIDE !!!!  REBUILDING SEASON STARTS SOOOOON !!! TIME TO MOVE SOMEOF THESE "VETS" , & GET MULTIPLE PLAYERS BACK !!! NOW GRASSHOPPER !!! iono iono iono

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 25, 2021, 07:19:18 PM

Why?  Mongo, you're an astute baseball man but you do not want to see the obvious. Cora has his favorites and he plays them and tries to build them up.   Darwizon has been boasted about by Cora since ST and is one of his favorites just as stinkpot Marwin Gonzales and Dennis Santana were.  HE PLAYS FAVORITES PERIOD!!!!!.  I SAW THIS AS EARLY AS MAY OR JUNE AND AM SURPRISED NO ONE ELSE HAS SEEN IT.  THEN AGAIN, IT IS TO BIZARRE TO EVEN BELIEVE SOM ETHING LIKE THAT HAPPENS WITH A MAJOR LEAGUE MANAGER.  IF WE BLOW THIS WC BERTH (AND IFWE LOSE TOMORROW I WILL BE PULLING FOR THAT) IT IS THE ONLY WAY WE CAN GET RID OF CORA.  EVERY ONE HERE KNOWS i NEVER WANTED THE FILTHY CHEATER BACK ATTHE HELM BUT  HERE HE IS.  MAYBE PRUNE FACE WILL NOW SEE WHAT A STUBORN AND CON CEITED BUM THIS GUY IS.  HE HAS TO GO.  I WANT HIM GONE.
Yes, the obvious is one of the things I/we have been whining about all year. Get on his good side and you're golden, no matter how bad you are.

No, I was hoping there was a piece of logic somewhere that said sending in Darwinzon was the smart move. This has failed all season long. He hit that button again. Pure formula baseball with no regard for the obvious. I know he has the stuff to get Rizzo out. He just doesn't have the makeup, and has failed in way too many a situation like this that had far less on the line.Just bad baseball. If the move works, it's pure luck. That pipe was all smoked out in 2018. 

elktonnick

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 26, 2021, 07:08:03 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 25, 2021, 07:19:18 PM

Yes, the obvious is one of the things I/we have been whining about all year. Get on his good side and you're golden, no matter how bad you are.

No, I was hoping there was a piece of logic somewhere that said sending in Darwinzon was the smart move. This has failed all season long. He hit that button again. Pure formula baseball with no regard for the obvious. I know he has the stuff to get Rizzo out. He just doesn't have the makeup, and has failed in way too many a situation like this that had far less on the line.Just bad baseball. If the move works, it's pure luck. That pipe was all smoked out in 2018.

You nailed when you said formula baseball. In that situation you bring in your best, someone who can control the baseball, not Hernandez who is as erratic as hell.

longgame

I just can't see them running Hernandez out there again and can see them dumping him this winter.  He has regressed from having a potential as a solid starter to a guy you can't trust out of the bullpen.  Just don't get it with these guys and their inability to pitch.  I don't know what you do when every single guy out of the bullpen is unable to actually pitch.

The sad part like BosoxFan said, is that they had a chance to put the Yankees away with this series.  We thought they did it back in July when they pushed them 10 back but since then the Yankees have taken the Sox to the woodhouse.

Someone pointed out the performance of our All Stars and that has been the problem all year.   It's okay to feast on weak teams, but you have to be at least competitive against better teams and they simply are not.  A win today puts them in good shape given the remaining schedule, but they really need this game. 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on September 26, 2021, 02:04:35 PM
I just can't see them running Hernandez out there again and can see them dumping him this winter.  He has regressed from having a potential as a solid starter to a guy you can't trust out of the bullpen.  Just don't get it with these guys and their inability to pitch.  I don't know what you do when every single guy out of the bullpen is unable to actually pitch.

I think I'm in the minority on Darwinzon in that I never thought he should have been moved to the pen. They started to try the same thing with Houck in 2019, IIRC. I don't know if he objected or someone thought better, but I'm glad they did.