GAME #79 - MONDAY, JUNE 28, 2021 - KANSAS CITY ROYALS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, June 28, 2021, 11:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Richards was awful with his sub-70 mile per hour pitches that were just hanging over the plate (some times).  But somehow he fixed it and got on track.  I have no idea how he did it or why sticking his arm in ice after the second inning seemed to fix it.  I just don't get how this guy pitched over the years.  The story supposedly was the new balls were slippery so guys went to that Spider Tack.  What did he do before that?  Scuff them up and rub some dirt on them!

The offense continued to provide.  I'm hopeful that Kiki has found something, but we'll see.  Dalbec with a nice night, even with the bases loaded K. 

As SeaDog said, this team is interesting with all the one year deals.  Renfro has fit in well and can play a solid RF which leaves LF to Verdugo where he can learn how to play the wall for years to come.  They need a CF clearly, although Kiki seems to be a better OF than 2B which he's supposedly good at (haven't seen it in the times he's been there).  They have the core guys - JD, Devers, Bogey, Verdugo, Vazquez, Martinez - they just need to eliminate some of the weak spots.  My guess is we see a lot of younger guys later in the year who are going to be slotted for starters next year.

MongoLikeSox

I was not envisioning any part of Hunter Renfro's game aside from a run a 30HR, a .238BA and 185Ks. I had no idea he could throw like that. I also had no idea he was hot and cold with the glove and with fielding balls below the knees,  like bouncing around near an outfield wall or something. Good with the bad, right?

The one thing that has impressed me to no end is how much he's been trying to become a hitter. I'm impressed. HR #1 last night was a great heads down, controlled swing that went a few rows deep to CF. That's fun stuff to watch.  A .272 BA this year is nothing to sneeze at. He keeps this total package up and he's going to find himself with a very pleasing 3 year offer from someone. If it happens, good for him.

There is something that is just so right about Verdugo being in Left Field. I don't know what it is, but i sure do like it. It looks natural, and he was great in RF. The kid can play.