5. DJ Stewart (L) LF
6. Pedro Severino (R) C
7. Hanser Alberto (R) 2B
8. Rio Ruiz (L) 3B
9. Ramon Urias (R) SS

Gametime Temp: 63°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

Sea Dog 23

This is a good few games for Bloom.  He gets to foresee which pitchers can contribute going forward.  Last few outings Eovaldi, Perez, Houck, Valdez seem to check a few boxes. Now what can Pivetta show.

By the way, when Keegan Akin goes on the IL, does he become Achin Keegin ??   iono

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 21, 2020, 09:39:59 AM
This is a good few games for Bloom.  He gets to foresee which pitchers can contribute going forward.  Last few outings Eovaldi, Perez, Houck, Valdez seem to check a few boxes. Now what can Pivetta show.

By the way, when Keegan Akin goes on the IL, does he become Achin Keegin ??   iono

LOL!

Yes, some chance to evaluate pitching.  It seems that the lesson of "you can't have too many starters" has seem to be lost on today's teams, hence the use of "openers".  Just having a full rotation with some quality and a couple of slots of depth behind it can make a huge difference as not all teams seem to be able to field a full complement of pitchers anymore.

Sea Dog 23

Pivetta with an uneven 1st.  Two walks, then a single to bring one of those guys home.  29 pitches to get out of it.

Verdugo continues to be a hitting machine.

Sea Dog 23

Pivetta haz settled down.  1 run, 3 hits, 3 walks, 7 Ks through 4 IP.  The hitting stars are JBJ and Dalbec (2 rbis).  4-1 Sox.

elktonnick

I know they are trying to find a spot for Chavis but it should be fairly obvious to all that Chavis is not the best candidate for left field and Arauz can not play second.  Both need more time in the minors.  IMHO

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on September 22, 2020, 09:17:48 PM
I know they are trying to find a spot for Chavis but it should be fairly obvious to all that Chavis is not the best candidate for left field and Arauz can not play second.  Both need more time in the minors.  IMHO

Elk--Chavis could play second if he gives us power which he is capable of and we sacrifice a little defense for some RH power offense.  I hate to give up on a guy who is capable of hitting 30 homers a year.  He showed o n  Sunday that he can give us some good long power offense.  I don't want s suck glove man like Lin or Auriez out there next season.   I want a hitter out there because second base is no longer just a defensive position ; it has become a hitters spot.  Besides have we given up already on Andrew Benintendi?  I think he is due for a real comeback season if they do NOT force him to bat leadoff.  Well we have Verdugo in that spot and he is just doing fine there and he can also hit left handed pitching.

Sea Dog 23

There must have been a smirk in the smile on Bloom's face.  The trade with Philly saw another blown save by Workman at Washington as Phils fought all night to take the lead.  Meanwhile Pivetta managed to get the win in Boston.  But IMO the jewel in that deal will be Seabold by the '22 season.

longgame

Nice to see Pivetta get the win.  A pretty good performance from the guy who probably was nervous given his prior few starts. 

Chavis was awful in a sequence of two blown plays and then a GIDP.  Verdugo is the guy we thought Benitendi would be.  Makes Beni look even worse.  Dalbec still indicating he's the real deal. 

Watched an at bat from JDM and was wondering who was at the plate.  He looked very uncomfortable and his swing was off.  Then he got a pitch down and away, kept his head down and swung through it, drilling a double.  He's got it, but he can't seem to find it.

elktonnick

Like Jim Rice pointed out several days ago JDM is swinging at a spot.  If the ball happens to be at that spot he hits it.  From my observation his swing has become robotic.  Same speed same spot virtually every time., great mechanics if you are driving a teed up golf ball but not that effective trying to hit a thrown baseball.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on September 23, 2020, 09:11:21 AM
Like Jim Rice pointed out several days ago JDM is swinging at a spot.  If the ball happens to be at that spot he hits it.  From my observation his swing has become robotic.  Same speed same spot virtually every time., great mechanics if you are driving a teed up golf ball but not that effective trying to hit a thrown baseball.

Just watching him at the plate he doesn't look comfortable at all. Like I said, I didn't recognize him which you usually can by his swing.  If anyone knows about hitting baseballs and golf balls its Jim Rice!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 23, 2020, 07:06:22 AM
There must have been a smirk in the smile on Bloom's face.  The trade with Philly saw another blown save by Workman at Washington as Phils fought all night to take the lead.  Meanwhile Pivetta managed to get the win in Boston.  But IMO the jewel in that deal will be Seabold by the '22 season.

Agreed Sea Dog.  Seabold projects as a future No. 1 or 2 ace in some qu arters.  Right now we got the best of that deal with Philly.  Workman is better than Barnes but both have their choke moments.  Now we need to get ridof Barnes and fast.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 23, 2020, 10:24:27 AM
Quote from: elktonnick on September 23, 2020, 09:11:21 AM

Just watching him at the plate he doesn't look comfortable at all. Like I said, I didn't recognize him which you usually can by his swing.  If anyone knows about hitting baseballs and golf balls its Jim Rice!

JD has to look at a lot of film this win ter and get his hitting guru to work continuously with him.  A guy just does not deterioirate as fast as Martinez has done this season.  I hope he doesn't opt out because he could come back with a vengeance next season..

Bill-806

Looks to me that it now has become, "all about 2021"  !!!!!! GO SOX, spring is just around the corner !!!!!! thumb_u thumb_u thumb_u thumb_u rofl rofl rofl

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 23, 2020, 11:58:01 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 23, 2020, 07:06:22 AM

Agreed Sea Dog.  Seabold projects as a future No. 1 or 2 ace in some qu arters.  Right now we got the best of that deal with Philly.  Workman is better than Barnes but both have their choke moments.  Now we need to get ridof Barnes and fast.

It is quite interesting how poorly those guys have done in Philly.  I thought they could do better if they were better managed.  Workman is a surprise because he never looks great but has good numbers.  He always seems to walk a ton of guys. 

I looked up his numbers and was surprised to see he has appeared in 14 games for the Phillies, pitched 13 innings, walked 9, but has given up 23 hits!  4 HRs in there too.  His Whip is 2.462 vs. 1.800 in his first 7 games with Boston and 1.033 last year. 

Hembree is pitching to a 12 ERA giving up 7 homers in 9 IP!

BTW, not sure when baseball reference started having an ad cover the entire left side of the screen.  Not too bright!