GAME #101, BOSTON RED SOX AT SEATTLE MARINERS

Started by Bear, July 23, 2017, 10:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V MARINERS

MONDAY, JULY 24, 2017, 10 PM AT SAFECO FIELD

TV:  NESN, ROOT-NW

BOSTON, (55-45)......................................................................................SEATTLE, (49-51)

BOSTON:

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ, LHP, 4-2, 3,55 ERA, 73K

The lefty labored early but was otherwise fine in his return to action last
week against the Blue Jays, giving up six hits and three runs while walking four
and strikingout eight in 5 1/3 innings.

SEATTLE:

JAMES PAXTON, LHP, 9-3, 3.05 ERA, 107K

The big lefty has been back on his game in July, going 4-0 with a 2.05 ERA and
28 strikeouts in 26 1/3 innings over four starts.  He held the Astros to one run in
seven innings in his last outing.  He's 1-0, 0.56 ERA in two career starts vs Boston.

E-Rod, Paxton set for duel of lefties at Safeco

Ian Browne

After hosting the Yankees the last four days, the Mariners now welcome another American League East heavyweight to Safeco Field.

The first-place Red Sox will be in Seattle for the only time this season for a three-game series that starts Monday night.

It will be a battle of left-handers in Game 1. James Paxton, who has won his last four starts, takes the ball for the Mariners. Eduardo Rodriguez, who got better as the game went along in his first start back from the disabled last week, will start for Boston.

"I thought he maintained his stuff pretty well," said Red Sox manager John Farrell. "It took him a couple innings, I think, to settle in and maybe find a release point. But now that he's pitching with seven days in between -- and that was the case prior to last start -- hopefully we get on more of a regular turn and he feels the touch and feel that he typically shows."

Rafael Devers, Boston's top prospect who had his contract purchased from Triple-A Pawtucket after Sunday's game, will be on the bench for Monday's contest in Seattle. However, the third baseman will make his first Major League start on Tuesday.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• The Red Sox will have their hottest hitter back in the lineup on Monday night in second baseman Dustin Pedroia. The veteran got a break on Sunday to get some treatment on his left knee. In his last 23 games, Pedroia is slashing .372/.459/.553.

• Since enduring his toughest start of the season June 16 at Texas, Paxton has relied more heavily on his knuckle-curveball. In six outings since, his usage of the pitch jumped from 19 percent to 26 percent, and he's used it to an even greater degree in two-strike counts (23 to 39 percent). Opponents are just 4-for-40 with 22 strikeouts against Paxton's hook over those past six starts.

• When the Red Sox and Mariners played at Fenway Park from May 26-28, the losing team was shut out in all three games. The Red Sox won the first two, 3-0 and 6-0. The Mariners won the finale, 5-0.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170723243993994/e-rod-paxton-set-for-duel-of-lefties-at-safeco/?game_pk=491579

First of 3 at Safeco.

Betts RF,
Young DH,
Pedroia 2B,
Ramirez 1B,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Bogaerts SS,
Holt LF,
Vazquez C,
Marrero 3B,

Rodriguez LHP

Bear

Another nail-biter.  Devers will be on the bench for this game but will play
in Tuesday's game.

Bill-806

OK, the kid is now on the roster, "like Tom Cruise in TOP GUN, get the KID in there" !!! thumb_u rofl

longgame

Quote from: Bill-806 on July 24, 2017, 06:55:04 AM
OK, the kid is now on the roster, "like Tom Cruise in TOP GUN, get the KID in there" !!! thumb_u rofl

Exactly, what's the point of bringing him up and sitting him?  Put him out there tonight and let's see what the kid can do.  Don't put Holt up there until he's better.  He can't hit at all.

elktonnick

Holt is coming off vertigo it takes a bit to recover.  He got two hits last night.  Since he has gotten back he is 7 for 30.

Rob from Mass

Rafael Devers was given No. 11.  Buchs old number

ipot

Maybe they're trying to give Devers a live look from the dugout to get a feel for the speed of the game on the field before rushing him onto the stage?  With our lack of run support, even 1 error makes a big difference....

Regardless, E-Rod will have to be Chris Sale-like to save our "Five Hit Wonders" of an offense. Pedey back will help, so give 'em an extra 2 hits. ;)
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

elktonnick

More significantly NBR 11 was Frank Malzone's old number.  For you youngsters, Malzone was one of the best third basemen ever to play for the Red Sox, an eight time All Star and 3 time Gold Glove winner.  Malzone was the main stay in the Red Sox infield in the late fifties and early sixties.  Because his baseball pants tended to sag, we used to refer to him as "OLe Droopy Draws"!

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on July 24, 2017, 05:26:27 PM
More significantly NBR 11 was Frank Malzone's old number.  For you youngsters, Malzone was one of the best third basemen ever to play for the Red Sox, an eight time All Star and 3 time Gold Glove winner.  Malzone was the main stay in the Red Sox infield in the late fifties and early sixties.  Because his baseball pants tended to sag, we used to refer to him as "OLe Droopy Draws"!
  B I N G O  DAT !!!  I can still see Malzone's # 11  on his back as he was shooting shot after shot into the NET and off the wall !!!  Obviously  MR. ROB is a little mixed up thinking that "DAY TO DAY CLAY" was a significant holder of  # 11  !!! thumb_u rofl

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bill-806 on July 24, 2017, 06:16:19 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on July 24, 2017, 05:26:27 PM
  B I N G O  DAT !!!  I can still see Malzone's # 11  on his back as he was shooting shot after shot into the NET and off the wall !!!  Obviously  MR. ROB is a little mixed up thinking that "DAY TO DAY CLAY" was a significant holder of  # 11  !!! thumb_u rofl
Hey. Clown...where is it I said anything about Clay being a significant holder of #11. Dont be a A H
every time you post with your childish  bingo dat BS.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bear on July 23, 2017, 10:05:48 PM
RED SOX V MARINERS

MONDAY, JULY 24, 2017, 10 PM AT SAFECO FIELD

TV:  NESN, ROOT-NW

BOSTON, (55-45)......................................................................................SEATTLE, (49-51)

BOSTON:

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ, LHP, 4-2, 3,55 ERA, 73K

The lefty labored early but was otherwise fine in his return to action last
week against the Blue Jays, giving up six hits and three runs while walking four
and strikingout eight in 5 1/3 innings.

SEATTLE:

JAMES PAXTON, LHP, 9-3, 3.05 ERA, 107K

The big lefty has been back on his game in July, going 4-0 with a 2.05 ERA and
28 strikeouts in 26 1/3 innings over four starts.  He held the Astros to one run in
seven innings in his last outing.  He's 1-0, 0.56 ERA in two career starts vs Boston.

E-Rod, Paxton set for duel of lefties at Safeco

Ian Browne

After hosting the Yankees the last four days, the Mariners now welcome another American League East heavyweight to Safeco Field.

The first-place Red Sox will be in Seattle for the only time this season for a three-game series that starts Monday night.

It will be a battle of left-handers in Game 1. James Paxton, who has won his last four starts, takes the ball for the Mariners. Eduardo Rodriguez, who got better as the game went along in his first start back from the disabled last week, will start for Boston.

"I thought he maintained his stuff pretty well," said Red Sox manager John Farrell. "It took him a couple innings, I think, to settle in and maybe find a release point. But now that he's pitching with seven days in between -- and that was the case prior to last start -- hopefully we get on more of a regular turn and he feels the touch and feel that he typically shows."

Rafael Devers, Boston's top prospect who had his contract purchased from Triple-A Pawtucket after Sunday's game, will be on the bench for Monday's contest in Seattle. However, the third baseman will make his first Major League start on Tuesday.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• The Red Sox will have their hottest hitter back in the lineup on Monday night in second baseman Dustin Pedroia. The veteran got a break on Sunday to get some treatment on his left knee. In his last 23 games, Pedroia is slashing .372/.459/.553.

• Since enduring his toughest start of the season June 16 at Texas, Paxton has relied more heavily on his knuckle-curveball. In six outings since, his usage of the pitch jumped from 19 percent to 26 percent, and he's used it to an even greater degree in two-strike counts (23 to 39 percent). Opponents are just 4-for-40 with 22 strikeouts against Paxton's hook over those past six starts.

• When the Red Sox and Mariners played at Fenway Park from May 26-28, the losing team was shut out in all three games. The Red Sox won the first two, 3-0 and 6-0. The Mariners won the finale, 5-0.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170723243993994/e-rod-paxton-set-for-duel-of-lefties-at-safeco/?game_pk=491579

First of 3 at Safeco.

Betts RF,
Young DH,
Pedroia 2B,
Ramirez 1B,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Bogaerts SS,
Holt LF,
Vazquez C,
Marrero 3B,

Rodriguez LHP

That's it, jerk Benintendi around and bench him again.  The only way this young man is going to get better against lefthanders is if he faces them.  He is too good to become a chronic platoon player, and why is he on the bench while Bogaerts is still in the lineup?  He the worst of the bunch, and Vazquez' hitting has been going in the toilet for weeks.  He is not a hitter and we need hitters v ery badly.  And why hasn't Travis been called back up to bat against lefties and put on first base.  Moreland needs to be DFA's, Pukegaerts benched or traded and Hanley kept at DH and told either he shits or we will get him off the pot and out of Boston.  And Jackie, start to hit the @#$%&*+ ball again.  Enough of those cold snaps.

Still put down a loss tonight with this pathetic ensemble we're putting on the field.  Once again if has become a real shitty team.

BTW, I'm sitting in our local library while I'm on this board.  Our computer went bonkers Saturday morning, pretty much like our team has this year, and it will be Wednesday at the earliest that we get it back.  Fortunately we have everything insured so it won't cost us a dime.  Yesterday at an Apple Computer Store, today at the local library.  Tomorrow????? Well when we lose tonight with Pukegaerts making another error or two and the team sleeping on offense, well, I think I will sit it our tomorrow.

longgame

I heard Bogey out, Benitendi back in. 

They need to hit.

markj

Ugliness here. E-Rod better settle down real quick.

BoSoxFanNY

Seattle scores 3 runs in the bottom of the second inning.

Mariners 3 - Sox 0.

Not feeling good about this game . . .

BoSoxFanNY

Mariners 4 - Sox 0
Bottom of the 4th inning.

I am going to bed.

THIS has been a bad trip out West so far.
UGHHHHHHHHH