GAME #38, BOSTON RED SOX AT ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

Started by Bear, May 15, 2017, 11:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

I'll take the win gladly even though my insides were rumbling through out.  I'll say no more than thanks Mookie and the bullpen.  These wins do come hard.

ipot

We got the 5+ runs on our side.  (Although we really got 4 and were gifted 2  ;).) 
Enough for the W.  I'll take it.

Offense with 6 hits..... ::)
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Schloicka on May 16, 2017, 09:24:13 PM
110 pitches in 6 innings. Needs to fix that big time. One bad inning. Need the pen to come through now.

This is what Erod is 6 ip and 100 pitches plus.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 16, 2017, 11:24:55 PM
I'll take the win gladly even though my insides were rumbling through out.  I'll say no more than thanks Mookie and the bullpen.  These wins do come hard.

Can`t be overly happy with the 6 team hits but yeah a win is a win.Mookie continues to rake out of the leadoff spot .Fred, I know you want Beni out of the 4 hole and it sounds like the right move to do but for now, I can`t see Mookie going there .And let's face this team does not have another guy to go there .Bogey is content with slapping the ball into the gaps which are not bad but I don`t see him being a power hitter anymore.

Rob from Mass

What's wrong with Kimbrel ? Only 1 K.
Seriously though it was good to see him need only 8 pitches.

longgame

I look at this game pretty positively.  First of all, JBJ is starting to hit so let's hope he hits one of those hot streaks.  But overall the Sox got decent starting pitching, the bats had some pop, the bullpen came through, the team took advantage of their opponents' errors and of course Kimrel closed it out.  They scored in multiple innings too.  While not a great performance, it certainly was a complete performance.  A good opposing starter as well now that I think of it. 

Bill-806

When Chris Sale speaks, E-Rod listens !!! thumb_u  What a good teacher to have on the roster.... Pitching is all about keeping the hitters off balance.... Speeding up the game is key !! thumb_u

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on May 17, 2017, 07:33:04 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 16, 2017, 11:24:55 PM

Can`t be overly happy with the 6 team hits but yeah a win is a win.Mookie continues to rake out of the leadoff spot .Fred, I know you want Beni out of the 4 hole and it sounds like the right move to do but for now, I can`t see Mookie going there .And let's face this team does not have another guy to go there .Bogey is content with slapping the ball into the gaps which are not bad but I don`t see him being a power hitter anymore.

Yes, we need to keep Mookie in that leadoff spot even though I know we don't maximum use out of him there since he has decent power, but who the hell can we put there if not Pedroia?   There seems to be no one else.  This lineup of ours seems very disjointed and the pieces just don' seem to fit right now and having that butcher Farrell tinkering with it as he often does is like the kiss of death.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on May 17, 2017, 07:55:04 AM
I look at this game pretty positively.  First of all, JBJ is starting to hit so let's hope he hits one of those hot streaks.  But overall the Sox got decent starting pitching, the bats had some pop, the bullpen came through, the team took advantage of their opponents' errors and of course Kimrel closed it out.  They scored in multiple innings too.  While not a great performance, it certainly was a complete performance.  A good opposing starter as well now that I think of it.

A good way to look at it Ted, but I wonder if the players on the team will look at it the same way and start to make some moves upward or whether it will be business as usual with the Boston two step, one forward and one backward.  We can't gain ground that way and sooner or later the team has to start fishing or cut bait.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 17, 2017, 09:35:23 AM

A good way to look at it Ted, but I wonder if the players on the team will look at it the same way and start to make some moves upward or whether it will be business as usual with the Boston two step, one forward and one backward.  We can't gain ground that way and sooner or later the team has to start fishing or cut bait.

I was only commenting on a single game.  I'd have to see a lot more games like that to make me a believer.  While I don't think we're talking about 2014-15 levels of ineptitude, they aren't good enough to beat out the Yankees and Orioles who both mash the ball. 

As for leadoff, the obvious guy is Bogaerts.  But for some reason Betts would rather come up in the first inning with nobody on, but not so much batting 3rd or 4th with guys on the bases?

ipot

Fred, that's indeed the nail on the head - "one forward, one backward." It's frustrating for 40 or so games now.  We are waiting for that tear when the hitting finally gets consistent and run up an 14 or 15 Ws out of 20 games or so. 
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Rob from Mass

Quote from: ipot on May 17, 2017, 01:42:44 PM

Fred, that's indeed the nail on the head - "one forward, one backward." It's frustrating for 40 or so games now.  We are waiting for that tear when the hitting finally gets consistent and run up an 14 or 15 Ws out of 20 games or so.

I don`t see that happening .
Too many holes and limited power.Don`t know what to expect from Price ? Inconsistent BP after Kimbrel .Very shoddy defense. Weak bench .3rd base is a disaster with ABSOLUTELY no help at all at AAA. Add also no help with the pitching at AAA should  someone go down . I hope to see a 5-6 game run if that is possible I don`t know that either.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on May 17, 2017, 01:57:37 PM
Quote from: ipot on May 17, 2017, 01:42:44 PM
  Not to mention the EASY to bruise  HAN/MAN  !!! thumb_d

I don`t see that happening .
Too many holes and limited power.Don`t know what to expect from Price ? Inconsistent BP after Kimbrel .Very shoddy defense. Weak bench .3rd base is a disaster with ABSOLUTELY no help at all at AAA. Add also no help with the pitching at AAA should  someone go down . I hope to see a 5-6 game run if that is possible I don`t know that either.