GAME #26, BALTIMORE ORIOLES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, May 02, 2017, 02:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

ORIOLES V RED SOX

TUESDAY, MAY 2, 2017, 7:10 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, MASN, MLBN (OUT OF MARKET ONLY)

BALTIMORE (16-8)....................................................................................BOSTON (13-12)

BALTIMORE:

ALEC ASHER, RHP, 1-0, 2.16ERA, 6K

Asher will get the ball for his second start and 4th game, with the O's
this season.  He won his only start in Toronto on April 15 and has a 2.16ERA
over 8 1/3 innings pitched.

BOSTON:

CHRIS SALE, LHP, 1.19ERA, 54K

The lanky lefty has been a combination of electric and dominant in his
first five starts for the Red Sox.  But his lack of run support has been an
on-going story,  Boston has scored just four runs for Sale during his
37 2/3 innings.

Sale takes the mound hoping for run support

Craig Forde

You might have heard that Chris Sale has been awesome. You might have also heard that his run support has been less than awesome. The Red Sox have scored a total of 4 runs during Sale's 37 2/3 innings.

In the last 30 years, the only Red Sox pitcher to get less run support in his first five starts with the team was Jeff Sellers, who got three runs over his first five starts in 1988. The only other pitcher during the last 30 seasons to get less than 10 runs in in his first five starts of a season for the Red Sox was Greg Harris, who got 8 runs of support in his first five starts in 1991.

"I don't think our guys on a day Chris is pitching feel like they've got to try to do more or to make up for previous outings in which he's had," Sox manager John Farrell said. "We know that in five starts he's been on the mound for us, we've scored all of four runs. We've had good ballgames pitched against us by quality starters, to the point where we're seeing rotations adjusted to match up against him. I don't think it's a compounding thing just because Chris is on the mound."

The Orioles will counter with Alec Asher, who is making just his second start of the season.

"I'm happy to be here, happy to be with this club and winning games. I'll do whatever they want me to do, as long as I stay here," said Asher, who has also made two relief appearances for the O's this year and is 1-0 with a 2.16 ERA in his combined work.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• During his dominant start to the season, Chris Sale has been going right after hitters. Among those with at least 300 pitches thrown, he's posted the second-highest zone rate (56.9 percent) and the third-highest strike rate (69.3 percent).

• Asher is making his second career Fenway start and will be looking to do things a bit differently. In the second big league outing of his career, in 2015, he allowed seven earned runs on eight hits and two walks over 3 2/3 innings.

• Orioles second baseman Jonathan Schoop has made 186 consecutive starts for Baltimore. According to STATS, LLC., that is the second longest current streak in the majors behind Kansas City shortstop Alcides Escobar, who has 195 straight games under his belt.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170501227678006/sale-takes-the-mound-hoping-for-run-support/?game_pk=490487

Bear

RED SOX LINEUP

Bogaerts SS
Benintendi LF
Betts RF
Ramirez DH
Moreland 1B
Pedroia 2B
Bradley Jr. CF
Leon C
Hernandez 3B
Sale LHP.

Bill-806

So, how is that nice young man "Little Marco" going to do tonight ??  I guess my eyes were OK after all !!

Rob from Mass

Another good outing from the starter and yet another L.Game after game is like and instant replay of the night before.
Sale has to be wondering if he throws a no-hitter the defense will lose the game for him.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bill-806 on May 02, 2017, 07:06:29 AM
  So, how is that nice young man "Little Marco" going to do tonight ??  I guess my eyes were OK after all !!

No response from you when he won the game the other night .I guess you were hiding under one of your life size bingo cards.

longgame

Quote from: Rob from Mass on May 02, 2017, 08:29:12 AM
Another good outing from the starter and yet another L.Game after game is like and instant replay of the night before.
Sale has to be wondering if he throws a no-hitter the defense will lose the game for him.

Sure seems like it.  I'm waiting for Sale to go nuts in the clubhouse.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on May 02, 2017, 08:33:49 AM

No response from you when he won the game the other night .I guess you were hiding under one of your life size bingo cards.
  Sorry Rob,  but the game looks to be a bit too fast for "Little Marco" !! We need more out of that position in the field & at bat

Muggah

And for godsakes Henry and Werner, put enough security out there tonight so that Adam Jones doesn't get taunted with racial slurs again. Boston has enough of a reputation without adding fuel to the fire.

Sounds like some 60-70 people were ejected from the stands last night. Make it 160 if need be tonight.
Bosox Board: The Exclusive Home of Muggah

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on May 02, 2017, 10:53:27 AM

Sorry Rob,  but the game looks to be a bit too fast for "Little Marco" !! We need more out of that position in the field & at bat

Hernandez is a crappy defensive player.  He is sloppy in the field and error prone, and he is shitty with a bat in the clutch.  However, it is what it is.  We have him or Fatso Sandoval because Prune Face wanted to get something back from that contract he handed out to Sandoval and with him lame he has no other choice but to go to little Marco Mistake.  Of course, some people around here were adamant about getting rid of Travis Shaw last fall.  I WAS NOT ONE OF THEM!!!!!!  Look at him in Milwaukee.  He has six homers already and 21 RBI's.  Little Marco has TWO, and Sandoval is barely over the Mendoza Line.  What a shit pile our team is turning into.

ipot

Here's what's on my mind about this team today:

First, the obvious:  Sale, as RobFromMass said above, has to throw a no hitter and it's still likely he'll get the L.

Secondly, I know many are pointing fingers at Henry and DD.  I don't think the problem lies there.  This offseason we had on paper (and still do) a team capable of taking the division and more.  What's happening is endemic underperformance (esp. on the part of the lineup) and that falls at the CLUBHOUSE LEVEL.  This is Farrell's watch here.  And the players.  Is there a leader in there?  Is there anyone who cares about winning games?  We can absorb a slumping catcher, and even mediocrity at another hitting position.  Even with Marco+Leon hitting like s--t, we still have a lineup capable of producing a lot of runs.

It begins with the hitters 1-5.  They have to get their acts together as well-moving chain of hitters. 

We are wasting great games by Sale, Porcello, and - thx to Cubs gifts - rescued one for E-Rod who looked so darn good on Sunday.  Even Kimbrel has his act together.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Rob from Mass

Quote from: ipot on May 02, 2017, 01:07:27 PM
Here's what's on my mind about this team today:

First, the obvious:  Sale, as RobFromMass said above, has to throw a no hitter and it's still likely he'll get the L.

Secondly, I know many are pointing fingers at Henry and DD.  I don't think the problem lies there.  This offseason we had on paper (and still do) a team capable of taking the division and more.  What's happening is endemic underperformance (esp. on the part of the lineup) and that falls at the CLUBHOUSE LEVEL.  This is Farrell's watch here.  And the players.  Is there a leader in there?  Is there anyone who cares about winning games?  We can absorb a slumping catcher, and even mediocrity at another hitting position.  Even with Marco+Leon hitting like s--t, we still have a lineup capable of producing a lot of runs.

It begins with the hitters 1-5.  They have to get their acts together as well-moving chain of hitters. 

We are wasting great games by Sale, Porcello, and - thx to Cubs gifts - rescued one for E-Rod who looked so darn good on Sunday.  Even Kimbrel has his act together.

The one I am worried about is Betts.I doubt he will be a yearly 30 HR guy and more like in upper teens and lower 20s.After all, he never hit more than 17 HRs in the minors.I also can`t see XB hitting in the 20s as he did last season .Looking at him swing it`s like he just wants to make contact in the gaps. With the exception of Devers, the cupboard is bare in AAA and AA.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 02, 2017, 12:36:59 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on May 02, 2017, 10:53:27 AM

Hernandez is a crappy defensive player.  He is sloppy in the field and error prone, and he is shitty with a bat in the clutch.  However, it is what it is.  We have him or Fatso Sandoval because Prune Face wanted to get something back from that contract he handed out to Sandoval and with him lame he has no other choice but to go to little Marco Mistake.  Of course, some people around here were adamant about getting rid of Travis Shaw last fall.  I WAS NOT ONE OF THEM!!!!!!  Look at him in Milwaukee.  He has six homers already and 21 RBI's.  Little Marco has TWO, and Sandoval is barely over the Mendoza Line.  What a shit pile our team is turning into.

Fred, I agree on Hernandez but for the moment that's all we have.I think he can be a good hitter and in time drive in some runs.I was one that was in favor of letting Shaw leave especially with the return we got.Thornburg when healthy is what this team needed.
Shaw playing 3rd is as bad as Hernandez although he is OK at first.

Rob from Mass

Rumors circulating Fenway that the FO is looking all over the state for the best HS pitcher available for immediate duty.With Wright on the DL and virtually nothing in the minors, they are hoping to strike gold with a High School senior.

Rob from Mass

Holt has experienced symptoms of vertigo again. Sox not sure when he’ll go back on a rehab.

elktonnick

Let's if Moreland snaps out of the funk he is in and takes what the other team gives him.