GAME #17, BOSTON RED SOX AT BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by Bear, April 21, 2017, 12:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Gah!! Again they can't get a runner home from 3rd.

markj

Great. Pedey gets spiked in the calf. Limping off.

Schloicka

Decent pitching & no hitting again. Sounds familiar.

markj

The return of the Noffense. Second shutout in 3 games.  thumb_d sigh slap

SeaBeachFred

First to eat a little crow.  Hernandez was not a problem tonight in his start in the infield.  In fact, he got two hits so he wasn't responsible at all for this disgraceful display of baseball tonight.  As for the lack of power, this is an enigma wrapped in a riddle.  We have power in Betts, Ramirez, Moreland, Bradley, and some sock in Pedroia, Benintendi, and even Sandoval who has hit with power so far.  We should be hitting more bombs than we are so I am as confused as the rest of you for our power outage.  I still think there will be improvement there, but Sandoval made his fourth error tonight.  At this rate he will become more of a liability for us than an asset.  Face it, we are not the team we need to be right now.

Muggah

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 21, 2017, 10:00:51 PM
First to eat a little crow.  Hernandez was not a problem tonight in his start in the infield.  In fact, he got two hits so he wasn't responsible at all for this disgraceful display of baseball tonight.  As for the lack of power, this is an enigma wrapped in a riddle.  We have power in Betts, Ramirez, Moreland, Bradley, and some sock in Pedroia, Benintendi, and even Sandoval who has hit with power so far.  We should be hitting more bombs than we are so I am as confused as the rest of you for our power outage.  I still think there will be improvement there, but Sandoval made his fourth error tonight.  At this rate he will become more of a liability for us than an asset.  Face it, we are not the team we need to be right now.

Our lack of power is indeed beginning to bother the crap out of me. I'm beginning to think that it might be just a symptom of a larger problem that, without Diva, we may end up watching this team really struggle to find its identity this year.

Sale aside on the days he pitches, I'm still not seeing any semblance leadership either on or off the field. And that bothers me. That and the fact that I'm already laying awake nights wrestling with the fact that we're struggling to keep pace with the friggin' Yankees.
Bosox Board: The Exclusive Home of Muggah

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 21, 2017, 03:35:15 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on April 21, 2017, 03:00:49 PM
  HERNANDEZ @  shortstop ????   Bogey out .......  Where is Holt & his bat ????

I knew it.....when Bogaerts stupidly went head first on that slide yesterday my first words were "OH SHIT!!!!!!!!"  Stay in that game Bogey, don't friickin' dare come out, but now he's out.  God knows for how long.  NO disabled list.  Get him well and get his ass back in that lineup.  Every time Hernandez plays I get a bad case of the yips.  I know a lot of you guys like him---I don't.  He is sloppy with the glove and is  totally crappy hitting in the clutch.  He is not a winning ballplayer from what I can see and only hope he proves me wrong tonight but afraid he will live up to my worst feeling about him.
B I N G O  dat !!!!! thumb_d

longgame

They are a team that seems to be sitting around waiting for someone else to make the big hit, i.e. Big Papi.  I think they did a good job with the guys they got - Sale and Moreland are better than advertised so far, but they lack a big presence in the lineup.  Betts isn't that guy, as much as I like him.  In fact they have nobody in that lineup where both teams say "can't let this guy knock one out".  The Orioles seem to have a few of those guys from Trumbo to Jones to Davis to Machado.  Even the Jays have Bautista, although he's sucking this year.  The Yankees have Sanchez, on the DL, and the big kid, I can't remember his name right now - who have the goods to be lineup changers, plus Holiday.

There are two things to consider here.  One is that this lineup is hitting but not producing.  That means the guys are doing what they're supposed to but the manager needs to look at the lineup and get these guys hitting at the same time.  The other thing is that I thought they'd maybe go out and find a slugger next year, but they should be looking at the trade deadline if they can get someone they can keep for a few years, i.e. a Stanton type. 

Without it they're going to be singles hitters hitting into a lot of DPs, like last night.  Although what was with all the freaking pop-ups last night?

Bill-806

Quote from: longgame on April 22, 2017, 11:37:32 AM
They are a team that seems to be sitting around waiting for someone else to make the big hit, i.e. Big Papi.  I think they did a good job with the guys they got - Sale and Moreland are better than advertised so far, but they lack a big presence in the lineup.  Betts isn't that guy, as much as I like him.  In fact they have nobody in that lineup where both teams say "can't let this guy knock one out".  The Orioles seem to have a few of those guys from Trumbo to Jones to Davis to Machado.  Even the Jays have Bautista, although he's sucking this year.  The Yankees have Sanchez, on the DL, and the big kid, I can't remember his name right now - who have the goods to be lineup changers, plus Holiday.

There are two things to consider here.  One is that this lineup is hitting but not producing.  That means the guys are doing what they're supposed to but the manager needs to look at the lineup and get these guys hitting at the same time.  The other thing is that I thought they'd maybe go out and find a slugger next year, but they should be looking at the trade deadline if they can get someone they can keep for a few years, i.e. a Stanton type. 

Without it they're going to be singles hitters hitting into a lot of DPs, like last night.  Although what was with all the freaking pop-ups last night?
  & the  3  D P's last night were killing !!!

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on April 22, 2017, 11:37:32 AM

This team is definitely lacking a big intimidating bat.  Neither Hanley nor Moreland fit that role.